Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Post
    I only downloaded the Epic client to get Subnautica for free. Was definitely worth it!!

2. Post
    Bt wrote:
    When Steam came out everyone hated it but we needed to have it to play CS
    I'm still kinda salty about all the time I wasted back in 2004 diagnosing Steam's bullshit when I used to be able to just use WON or Gamespy Arcade to do the same damn thing in like 2 minutes.

...I feel old.

3. Post
    ASE was where it was at. Then Yahoo ****ing bought it.

4. Post
    I always liked Gamespy Arcade better, had a more pleasing UI that didn't look like the Windows file explorer.

They both kicked the pants off of using Steam circa 2003-2004 though, ugh

5. Post
    I installed Steam when the Orange Box first came out. This was when Steam first hit the scene.

You needed Steam AND the online validation to play the games - however, if anyone remembers, the servers got a pounding and it was offline for TWO days.

TWO DAYS I couldn't play the game I had just bought. The whole 'online authentication' was relatively new to me and the world, so I was mega pissed I couldn't just install and play the thing I had purchased in my hands.

6. Post
    i'm sure steam came along before orange box or even HL2. i think it was even before HL2 because i was using it play HL1 based games. the launch was a disaster because you had everyone in the world REdownloading all the games the already had. it was very painful for me on 56k.

on the plus side, even though i only had the retail version of CS, when steam happened it gave me access to every official HL1 based game including HL itself.

7. Post
    Yeah, I got it for Condition Zero / CS1.6

8. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Is it really too much to ask to let a new player find their footing before shitting all over their shoes?
    This is 2019, this should not be the case. Bring something new to the market, don't release something half assed and build up to being a decent competitor in 6 months. Especially with so many other examples of game clients and features in the market already.

9. Post
    I think Steam was around prior to or launched with HL2 as HL2 *had* to verify using it.

10. Post
    BlueKiwi wrote:
    I think Steam was around prior to or launched with HL2 as HL2 *had* to verify using it.
    Yep, I remember being frustrated with having to deal with Steam in order to play HL2.

11. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Yep, I remember being frustrated with having to deal with Steam in order to play HL2.
    It was all worth it though. HL2 was such a great experience.

12. Post
    same as above, the always online pissed me off so much i was very close to quitting pc gaming but " eventually " Steam added the offline play. The same happened with Ubisoft and like Blizzard with D3 initially but my patience already ran out by then and i was like **** off i am not buying any more of your games etc.