Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    TBH he's lucky the teller didn't decide it was $28

2. Post
    50 deposits over the last year and this is the first issue you've had with that handwriting? I'd say you're lucky!

Surprises me that anyone would write anything other than perfectly legible words and numbers on something like a deposit slip???

3. Post
    The writing shouldn't actually matter. If $290 was in the bag then that's what should have gone in the account.

4. Post
    Ok I'll just let all the banks worldwide know they don't need to include deposit slips for their ATMs anymore, just count what's in the bag guys.

5. Post
    bmt wrote:
    Ok I'll just let all the banks worldwide know they don't need to include deposit slips for their ATMs anymore, just count what's in the bag guys.

6. Post
    The bank/branch would have balanced that night/next morning and found that it was up/down the difference.

7. Post
    SheepShagger556 wrote:
    The bank/branch would have balanced that night/next morning and found that it was up/down the difference.
    Nah, because they stamped it with $200.

8. Post
    I'm talking about cash on hand. If you think you deposited 290$ but they keyed and deposited it as $200 they would be up $90 end of day.

9. Post
    Cash on hand is going to be $200 isn't it, someone pocketed the $90 otherwise it will have not balanced as you say. But it did balance... so... yeah.

10. Post
    blackbox wrote:
    My writing has always been pretty messy, but it looks like $290.00 to me? This is the actual deposit slip that was submitted with the deposit.

I've made around 50 deposits over the last year with no issues, some up to $4,000 worth with multiple cheques, coins & notes.

If it was only out by one note (i.e. out by say, $20, $50 or $100) then I could understand how something like this could happen. But for it to be out by $90 would mean that three notes have been overlooked. I also find it strange that they've put a tick next to "Notes 290.00" and yet it has been put into the system as $200.00
    I would agree, the teller tick indicates it agrees with your notes total. Looks to me like they entered it into the system incorrectly (ie $200).

I have worked in cash in my past (as in hundreds of thousands/millions), and when dealing with hordes of cash we would have an overs and unders pool. And if the teller counted $290, but entered $200, then at the end of the day they'd be over by $90. But then they'd audit receipts, someone flicking through the receipts could easily see the computer $200 and think your hand writing was $200 and zip past it. Then if they cannot clearly identify the over - the $90 would go into the overs and unders pool.

11. Post
    or maybe someone else deposited $110 on the same day but the teller again entered it as $200 and the bank squared up and that someone got a nice $90 bonus.

12. Post
    Yeah, there's a whole underground movement of bank tells that are there to steal your 90 measly bucks should the chance arise....

13. Post
    That's what they'd like you to think

14. Post
    reminds me of a story from years ago where someone stole cents out of every bank account and was found out by an old pensioner who was literally counting his pennies. ended up catching the thief who stole hundreds of thousands with this method.

15. Post
    focus wrote:
    reminds me of a story from years ago where someone stole cents out of every bank account and was found out by an old pensioner who was literally counting his pennies. ended up catching the thief who stole hundreds of thousands with this method.
    Reminds me of when Vodafone got caught charging 20.25 cents per text while advertising 20 cents and got charged by comcom. I see they got charged again in 2018 for something similar.
    Last edited by teelo7; 20th February 2019 at 7:10 pm.

16. Post
    focus wrote:
    Pretty sure that's the plot to Superman III

17. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Pretty sure that's the plot to Superman III
    It's the plot to Office Space.

18. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    It's the plot to Office Space.
    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/adda7ba...6-05606bc7b20e

19. Post
    ^ Good Friday morning laugh - thanks