1. Post

Web hosting providers?

Can anyone recommend any good web hosting companies around?

I'm looking at launching a high volume website which will require a fair bit of storage.

Excellent uptime will be fairly critical.

Appreciate any good services and reasons why.

CHUR!

2. Post
    Gonna need more details, are you after managed hosting?

3. Post
    Yes, after managed hosting

4. Post
    How do you even define managed hosting these days?

Do you have a common CMS type thing you're wanting hosted, or do you just have some random code you want someone else to host?

When you say high volume, are we talking in the 100k+ requests a minute type of thing? Or are we talking "Nz high volume" of 1,000 hits a day?

5. Post
    Anyone have a suggestion for a low traffic site host?

6. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    S3.

7. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    S3.
    What are the fees like, and what sort of storage are we talking?

8. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    Openhost are good, when im lazy they'll usually point me in right direction when things go wrong

9. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    What are the fees like, and what sort of storage are we talking?
    Free and unlimited.

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

10. Post

11. Post
    Just be aware of the free tier limits, I've been caught out before on a product launch, ended up costing something like $300 for the unexpected traffic volume.

12. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Just be aware of the free tier limits, I've been caught out before on a product launch, ended up costing something like $300 for the unexpected traffic volume.
    On a S3 bucket? You'd have to be making a lot more money than $300 in revenue to go past the limits.

13. Post
    ajaxx wrote:
    Openhost are good, when im lazy they'll usually point me in right direction when things go wrong
    Good god, no. Openhost are terrible. We've had few bad experiences and shifted from them at work, eg one day our DNS all just disappeared. No explanation, no assistance, we had to manually add them all back. Then our hosting went a week later and at first no explanation, then later the story changed to they upgraded some servers and MAY have been related.

Personally I use a VPS that was recommended to me when I asked a similar question on GP a couple years ago and have had nothing but a glowing experience with them. And it has taught me how to manage a Linux webserver as a result (so now have a box downstairs and a static IP that I will eventually migrate to).

Prior to my VPS I was with iPage and switching a Wordpress site from them (managed shared) to my VPS took the page load times from several seconds to less than one.

My one is Vultr and it starts at $2.50USD a month, although I'm now on $10 a month and hosting several sites. Skylake-E and SSD based.

https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

PM me if you want a referral for a $50 credit. I'll get a bonus if you stick around so I won't post the key here.

14. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    On a S3 bucket? You'd have to be making a lot more money than $300 in revenue to go past the limits.
    Oh definitely. It was all "data transfer" costs I believe. One month we blew through 2.7TB lol. A typical month costs us around $50 for s3 between all our sales pages.

15. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Good god, no. Openhost are terrible. We've had few bad experiences and shifted from them at work, eg one day our DNS all just disappeared. No explanation, no assistance, we had to manually add them all back. Then our hosting went a week later and at first no explanation, then later the story changed to they upgraded some servers and MAY have been related.

Personally I use a VPS that was recommended to me when I asked a similar question on GP a couple years ago and have had nothing but a glowing experience with them. And it has taught me how to manage a Linux webserver as a result (so now have a box downstairs and a static IP that I will eventually migrate to).

Prior to my VPS I was with iPage and switching a Wordpress site from them (managed shared) to my VPS took the page load times from several seconds to less than one.

My one is Vultr and it starts at $2.50USD a month, although I'm now on $10 a month and hosting several sites. Skylake-E and SSD based.

https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

PM me if you want a referral for a $50 credit. I'll get a bonus if you stick around so I won't post the key here.
    I've also had bad experience with openhost recently. I think they have been bought out and now are terrible. Moving is such a pain though so I'm still with them.

16. Post
    Recommend vultr. For what it provides, its a really good reliable and cheap service. I've managed to get my hosting requirements down to their $5/month server. Off that, I host a few small sites but never really hit over 10/1000gb!

17. Post
    If you want semi-managed, I'd recommend Cloudways w/ Vultr. Only thing I had to set up was the .htaccess, rest is set-and-forget (even their SSL cert is done through GUI). Also real cheap for what it is, only about $5-6 extra a month on top of the standard Vultr plan.

18. Post
    I been using Vultr+TinyCP.

It set's up everything and also costs $10/year for the service it provides.

Really neat and just works.

https://tinycp.com/

19. Post
    Also if you want your own mailserver, I just set up a Mail-in-a-box on a $5 Vultr server.

https://mailinabox.email/

It's now pulling DNS and mail duties and doing so extremely well. Managing 6 domains with seven users for $5USD/month.

Originally I was just going to point my MX records at it and it asked me to set up txt records and the like to restrict the server for outgoing mail, which is apparently a "Premium" service on CrazyDomains and is $9/month per domain. So I just pointed my nameservers to it and let it do the job and haven't noticed a difference.

Also gives a full control panel which taught me how to configure key based SSH login and switch off password, which I've now done on both it and my web server.

Would recommend.

Also reading their website is a bit of a lol as they're tinfoil hatty. So security will be overkill which is always good. I just use it because I don't want to pay other providers $5/user and $5/per domain per month.