1. Post

Huawei Nova 3i

Anyone got one? Looking to upgrade from my Iphone 6s. How are they, do you recommend etc

2. Post
    do you recommend
    No because they're not releasing bootloader unlock codes anymore.

3. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Dont really know what that is...

4. Post
    Orgasm wrote:
    Dont really know what that is...
    What he's saying is that without being able to unlock your bootloader, you won't be able to root your phone, install custom roms etc. I don't know about the specific situation for the Nova 3i, but for the Mate 20 Pro currently the only way to root your phone is to update to a fairly new version of the firmware that allows OEM unlocking and then buy a bootloader code for $50USD (iirc) from a third party to unlock the bootloader. The Nova 3i predates Huawei's decision to not provide those codes so it may be easier on that handset but I don't know for sure.

If you have no intention of doing any of that stuff, I say go for it. The Nova 3i is easily one of the best phones at it's pricepoint and is extremely well equipped. I'm not familiar what some of the less mainstream brands are offering (EG: Meizu etc), but another phone around the same pricepoint to look at would be the Oppo AX7. It's a tad cheaper, a bit newer and has the benefit of a larger battery and Oppos nicer Android skin.

Another side note, the 3i is getting a bit long in the tooth now and the Nova 4 is right around the corner. I've been told we're not getting the Nova 4 in NZ due to a poor reception to the Nova 3, but the 3i/e sold like hotcakes so I'd be very surprised if we didn't get that model. No idea how far off that is though, could be towards the middle of the year.

5. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    The reason why I dropped Huawei.

I was willing to hold on to my P9 a little longer but then discovered I wasn't able to root it. Pissed me off as I was sick of being locked into Huawei's heavily skinned EMUI.

I'd go for the Nokia 7.1 with it's AndroidOne well before another Huawei at around the $500 mark.

6. Post
    Ill look at both the AX7 and Nokia 7.1 tonight. Cheers for the suggestions!

Edit- Damn both look good
    Last edited by Orgasm; 19th February 2019 at 12:47 pm.

7. Post
    I've heard that Nokias have awful memory management, something to the effect of killing all user background tasks after 20 minutes or so. Aside from that they're great phones, but I'd approach them with caution as some apps may not work as intended.

8. Post
    Xev wrote:
    I've heard that Nokias have awful memory management, something to the effect of killing all user background tasks after 20 minutes or so. Aside from that they're great phones, but I'd approach them with caution as some apps may not work as intended.
    The 7.1 uses AndroidOne, an unmodified version of Android. Unless Nokia does infact make some sort of modification to it then I don't think you'd have any baked in problems found on other Nokia phones.

9. Post
    Rii wrote:
    The 7.1 uses AndroidOne, an unmodified version of Android. Unless Nokia does infact make some sort of modification to it then I don't think you'd have any baked in problems found on other Nokia phones.
    Apparently still an issue. See: https://dontkillmyapp.com/nokia

Reproduced on a 6.1 which also runs Android One of the same versions. I'd bet money on the 7.1 being affected as well.
    Last edited by Xev; 19th February 2019 at 2:20 pm.

10. Post
    Thoughts on the Oppo ax7?