Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers

I booked 10 days off around Easter cos if you put in 3 you get ten off. Score.

I was going to do a 10 day hunting trip.

My girlfriend caught wind and now plans have changed. I am no longer doing a 10 day hunting trip.

I am now going to be going to the Glaciers. For 5 days.

Any advice on things to do apart from look at the ice before they melt.

Cheers

2. Post
    5 days is probably a bit much. If you're driving there are plenty of more interesting places to stop on the way, then maybe 1 or two nights at the glaciers.

There's not really anything to do there apart from a ~2 hour walk, they're mostly just a convenient stop-off on the way down the West Coast.

3. Post
    Shit yea, 5 days is a massive overkill. Spend some time on the other side of the Alps in MacKenzie Country...do some fishing in canals if your in to that...

4. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    5 days is probably a bit much. If you're driving there are plenty of more interesting places to stop on the way, then maybe 1 or two nights at the glaciers.

There's not really anything to do there apart from a ~2 hour walk, they're mostly just a convenient stop-off on the way down the West Coast.
    she doesn't intends on staying at the Glaciers for the whole 5 days.

So far it's Hanmer springs.

Hokitika

Then the Glaciers.

Back to Hokitika

And then back home..

I want to just get to the west coast on the first day but some things aren't worth bickering about.

So yeah. It does seem like a long time to just drive slowly there.

5. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Shit yea, 5 days is a massive overkill. Spend some time on the other side of the Alps in MacKenzie Country...do some fishing in canals if your in to that...
    Everything's been booked. So next time we'll go down to southland.

6. Post
    Maybe ~2-2.5hr drive down to Makarora to do those #instagramable Blue Water pools. Hanmer will be nice

- - - Updated - - -

Where were you planning to go hunting?

7. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Everything's been booked. So next time we'll go down to southland.
    Hanmer Springs has fun hot pools and I enjoyed spending a day there. The rest of your schedule is wrong. Wtf are you going to do in Hokitika twice? It's a bumpkin backwater.

8. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Hanmer Springs has fun hot pools and I enjoyed spending a day there. The rest of your schedule is wrong. Wtf are you going to do in Hokitika twice? It's a bumpkin backwater.
    I could two two days chilling in Hokitika but I wouldn't go and come back.

9. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Maybe ~2-2.5hr drive down to Makarora to do those #instagramable Blue Water pools. Hanmer will be nice

- - - Updated - - -

Where were you planning to go hunting?
    I was thinking of just going off the sid eif the road at Arthur pass but it's a bit of a hassle flying done with a gun and taking it everywhere so I am going north island.

Cheers about the blue water pools

Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    I don't actually know.

bradc wrote:
    I could two two days chilling in Hokitika but I wouldn't go and come back.
    We'll be visiting cousins who live there as well.

10. Post
    Sure, it's just with the limited time and the fact you're leaving Hokitika it'd make more sense to go somewhere else than come back.

11. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Sure, it's just with the limited time and the fact you're leaving Hokitika it'd make more sense to go somewhere else than come back.
    I'll see what sort of time it'll take to get somewhere else. Only problem going further south is the convoluted and lengthy drive back to Christchurch.

12. Post
    I'd go on to Wanaka and back the long way. Worth the drive imo.

13. Post
    I was gonna say, there's two passes to get to the other side. Fast times in Haast.

14. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    I'd go on to Wanaka and back the long way. Worth the drive imo.
    My brothers say it is amazing.

bradc wrote:
    I was gonna say, there's two passes to get to the other side. Fast times in Haast.
    Yeah I think it is not too bad a drive. Should be nice.

Cheers for all the advice

15. Post
    What would you do in hanmer at this time of the year other then the hot pools?

16. Post
    ludez wrote:
    There's more to Hanmer than hot pools?

17. Post
    ChairmanDrew wrote:
    Can't say we found much to do there.....

18. Post
    ludez wrote:
    That's good enough for a day. There are a few nice restaurants.
    If you had more time and an adventurous car you could take off up into the hills and one of the most remote areas in New Zealand
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/42...!4d173.2336216

bradc wrote:
    I stayed in Haast once, it's kind of what you'd expect. There are some cute miniature horses near the beach but that's it.

19. Post
    ChairmanDrew wrote:
    Go up the scary hill rd to Molesworth Station, It's open till Easter, and one of the best places you'll ever visit in NZ..

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...worth-station/

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...-to-st-arnaud/

20. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    If you had more time and an adventurous car you could take off up into the hills and one of the most remote areas in New Zealand

I stayed in Haast once, it's kind of what you'd expect. There are some cute miniature horses near the beach but that's it.
    Not so.

Go down to Jackson Bay, explore the side rds, and check out an amazing part of the country.

Leave your guns at home, this is South island high country and no place for amateurs.

https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/...ver/West-Coast

The road down the Cascade has a locked gate, but if you're keen you can maybe arrange a visit.
    Last edited by Zarkov; 14th February 2019 at 12:12 am.

21. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Not so.

Go down to Jackson Bay, explore the side rds, and check out an amazing part of the country.
    Meh. I was there in the evening and gone in the morning or just driving right past with a 20 minute detour. There are plenty of better amazing parts of the country, kind of like with the glaciers.

22. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Meh. I was there in the evening and gone in the morning or just driving right past with a 20 minute detour. There are plenty of better amazing parts of the country, kind of like with the glaciers.
    How do you know?

You did a 20 minute drive by.

23. Post
    I suppose.

Haast is right in the middle of two pretty long drives so my appetite for detouring at that point wasn't huge.

24. Post
    ludez wrote:
    My kids there on camp at the moment. They're doing
    -Jetboat
    -White water rafting
    -Pools
    -Mountain biking in forest

Sounds like the best primary school camp of all time

25. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:

Now that's remote. I was at ihungia where I chatted to a shepherd who hadn't talked to someone for months. Awatere Valley feels like that.

Zarkov wrote:
    Go up the scary hill rd to Molesworth Station, It's open till Easter, and one of the best places you'll ever visit in NZ..

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...worth-station/

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...-to-st-arnaud/
    Now that's a smashing idea.!

Zarkov wrote:
    Not so.

Leave your guns at home, this is South island high country and no place for amateurs.

https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/...ver/West-Coast

The road down the Cascade has a locked gate, but if you're keen you can maybe arrange a visit.
    Cheers.

Yes, I am not experienced with alpine hunting. So your amateur comment ain't far off. I would need someone like @Edward Diego to not get into a spot of bother.

I was going to bribe my cousin with a chopper flight for my first tahr and chamois hunt. I am experienced enough with North Island Bush. I usually spook an animal a trip. Stalking is a work in progress lol.

Awesome. I will have to see what the time frame is. May be best for my South Island hunting trip I am planning.