1. Post

ATTN: Leon: Cert questions

The GTR went in today for a WOF and failed due to changes which have been made since it was certified.
    The LVVTA website is a bit ambiguous when it comes to explaining modifications to an already certified vehicle, as I read it somewhat different to my local certifier.
    The car was originally certified with a carbon bonnet, and factory wheels.
    It now has a factory bonnet, and a set of aftermarket wheels.
    Does it need to be fully certified again, or can it be re-inspected and have a new plate issued?

The piece that I am reading for this is:
    Can I modify a vehicle which already has already been LVV Certified?
    Yes, but the vehicle will need to be re-inspected by an LVV Certifier who will issue a new LVV plate covering all the car's modifications. Modifications that fall within the Certification Thresholds do not need re-certification.
    I assume because it has adjustable suspension, even though the wheels are something that would be within certification thresholds, that all changes once the vehicle height has?

2. Post
    Are the wheels the same specs, diameter / widths etc? Assuming your cert has the wheel specs on the plate.

3. Post
    If I'm understanding the changes you're describing, then it's "just" a wheel change.

Car still needs to be driven / brake tested, and various paperwork filled in.

Previous items won't be recertified (unless there's a blatant cluster f**k detected in previous mods) only examined to ensure car matches plate.

Should be cheaper than initial cert, but all the certifiers are independent owner operators, so it's over to them what they charge. But from the association point of view, we charge certifiers less for a wheel change only than a complete cert.

4. Post
    Sweet.
    Thanks for that as that was also my understanding of how it is worded.
    I assume that the system will be able to show a certifier exactly what the car had done to it on the inital certification so they have something to reference while doing a check to make sure nothing else has changed?
    I do know the car has HKS turbo's/ ECU/ etc, but cert the plate only shows Nissan-Mod, so I have no reference myself and can only assume they weren't added later.

5. Post
    The original cert F001 (A4 paper page) should have the mods listed.

How old is the cert?

That said, if it's just a wheel change, and your existing plate says Nissan-Mod, that's probably not worth worrying about (the old cert exact details).

6. Post
    A lot older than I would have thought it seems.
    October 2004.

7. Post
    Yeah, that's going back a way.

8. Post
    What is really baffling is that my mate bought the car in 2012 as it is, and never failed a WOF for the cert being wrong the whole time he owned it.
    I have no problem that it has failed this time.
    It is getting sold, and I would be pissed off if I bought a relatively expensive car and then found out it wasn't technically legal.

9. Post
    Next question.
    Is it possible to get hold of the original F001 that was submitted in 2004?
    I have spoken to 2 certifiers so far who are insistent that they have to start the process again.
    I understand that it was certified a long time ago, but surely if the F001 shows that nothing else has changed, there is no justification in completely re-certifying the vehicle?

Edit: Have been in contact with Brendon at LVVTA and he has given me all the necessary info to take to my local certifier and get them sorted on what needs doing.
    It may have been a bit of a misunderstanding between myself and the local guy, so I will talk to him tomorrow, but it is a real concern that the certifier in Tauranga I spoke to, flat out refused to follow the process unless he was the one who had originally certified the vehicle.
    Last edited by Pandaemonaeon; 13th February 2019 at 4:58 pm.

10. Post
    Yeah, I was in the same room as Brendon having the conversation with him

11. Post
    Thanks to both of you, as it's really great to be able to get a definitive answer from the horses mouth as such.

12. Post
    Factory wheels were on the cert? Seems odd...

13. Post
    If it has adjustable suspension the wheel dimensions are listed

14. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    If it has adjustable suspension the wheel dimensions are listed
    Nope.

Wheel field will say OE or whatever the dimensions are (17x7F/17x9.5R etc). OE meaning, the factory wheels for that specific car.

eg: my Corolla plate has OE in the suspension field, and 14 x 5.5 in the wheels field, as the wheels while being same as factory for the car (as I recall), were not the factory wheels at time of cert.

15. Post
    Yeah. The car was certed with adjustable suspension and OE wheels.
    Next question.
    Both sets of wheels the car has are dimensionally identical (18x10 +25 with the same sized tyres on them)
    I guess I don't really need to have both for the inspection?

16. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    Nope.

Wheel field will say OE or whatever the dimensions are (17x7F/17x9.5R etc). OE meaning, the factory wheels for that specific car.

eg: my Corolla plate has OE in the suspension field, and 14 x 5.5 in the wheels field, as the wheels while being same as factory for the car (as I recall), were not the factory wheels at time of cert.
    Interdasting, cheers for the correction

17. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    Yeah. The car was certed with adjustable suspension and OE wheels.
    Next question.
    Both sets of wheels the car has are dimensionally identical (18x10 +25 with the same sized tyres on them)
    I guess I don't really need to have both for the inspection?
    Depends how super paranoid you are. In theory, if you crashed your car, and the insurance company requested the cert file, and the wheels didn't match car & cert photos, they might try to be a dick about it.

But that said, that hasn't happened that I'm aware of.

Personally I wouldn't bother, but I figured I'd alert you to the theoretical possibility.