1. Smile

Russia preparing to cut the internet.

Was reading this:

wrote:
    President Putin has ordered Russia to unplug itself from the internet, reports claim. The nation is accused of planning to use submarines to cut vital international cables wants to make sure its own economy can survive 'offline'.

Russian media reports the civil-defence exercise is expected to take place at an unspecified time before April 1. It's all about testing measures put in place in the event of war when an 'aggressor' could cut its digital umbilical cords.

According to RosBiznesKonsalting, Moscow is drafting a law stating that all internal internet service providers (ISPs) must continue to remain functional even if isolated from the rest of the world.

"According to the proposals, operators and internet providers will have to 'ensure the installation' in their networks of technical means to counter threats," RBK reports.

The test 'decoupling' of the world wide web is to determine what technical and legal challenges remain in order to complete legislation currently before the Kremlin and ensure its ISPs must comply.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12203126

I think cutting the internet would be devastating for western powers because we rely on it so much,
    Russia's idea of being able to cope offline makes a lot of sense and i reckon western powers should do the same otherwise cutting those internet choke points would disrupt communications etc.

With the new hyper sonic missiles, China fortifying the south china sea and building fancy new aircraft carriers, I think America's top generals are right that this stuff is quite alarming.

only problem is what to do about it? The UN can't do a whole lot and WW3 isn't really a nice option neither.

Seems like China and Russia hold all the cards and when/if they decide to go to war all we can do is respond.

2. Post
    I don't see it as an issue for the USA since most of the internet is in their backyard and they don't *need* to send/recieve data from offshore

A country like New Zealand would be totally ****ed if a chinese/russain sub just came past and cut our cables, without International connections we can't do much (just think about the services and websites you access on a daily basis - chances are 90%+ of it is not hosted in NZ)

As for military aspect in an event of a cut - that's why Satellites exist, any Military would just send all important data via satellite

3. Smile
    SirGrim wrote:
    I don't see it as an issue for the USA since most of the internet is in their backyard and they don't *need* to send/recieve data from offshore
    I thought civilian wise a lot of share trading and businesses would be effected.

wrote:
    A country like New Zealand would be totally ****ed if a chinese/russain sub just came past and cut our cables, without International connections we can't do much (just think about the services and websites you access on a daily basis - chances are 90%+ of it is not hosted in NZ)
    NZ would be quite isolated, But the good news is Gameplanet will still be going right?
    Seriously though our military might be alright but social wise our economy might take a massive plunge.

wrote:
    As for military aspect in an event of a cut - that's why Satellites exist, any Military would just send all important data via satellite
    I thought either the Russians or Chinese were testing ways of knocking out satellites.

4. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    NZ would be quite isolated, But the good news is Gameplanet will still be going right?
    Ermmm GP is hosted offshore on cloudfront iirc. And some of our ISP peering is shocking (especially Spark) with some shit routing out to Aussie and back again.

Basically NZ would be f**ked.

5. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    I thought either the Russians or Chinese were testing ways of knocking out satellites.
    Yep most large nations are working on this - most likely a lazer or electro magnetic based weapon - but generating the power needed to fire that far away is still an issue not resolved

One of the reasons Trump has set up the Space Force - so the military can take a more active role in Space - they also now have Nasa under the guidance that when they get back to the Moon they need to stay there (as in start setting up equipment and bases)

Eventually I see NASA being dissolved and the Space Force taking up that role and more but that could be decades away

6. Post
    They all have had means to destroy satellites with missiles, if it comes to that the resulting debris will cause huge problems for everyone.

7. Post
    Missles are easy enough to shoot down if you have prepared for it in advance
    A laser/magnetic bullet on the other hand is different story

8. Post
    No not really as intercept missiles only need to go straight up, anything not in geosynchronous orbit cannot be defended as it will cross over enemy territory, even with those in geo its many times harder to intercept an interceptor than a satellite.

9. Post
    does the us still have de facto control of the root system

10. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Russian media reports the civil-defence exercise is expected to take place at an unspecified time before April 1.
    hmm

11. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Ermmm GP is hosted offshore on cloudfront iirc.
    Amazon AWS with the server in Sydney by the looks of it. Tracert was pretty useless but that's what the reverse DNS lookup says.

Code:
    NetRange:       13.54.0.0 - 13.55.255.255
    CIDR:           13.54.0.0/15
    NetName:        AMAZO-ZSYD
    NetHandle:      NET-13-54-0-0-1
    Parent:         AT-88-Z (NET-13-52-0-0-1)
    NetType:        Reallocated
    OriginAS:       AS16509
    Organization:   Amazon Corporate Services Pty Ltd (ACSPL-2)
    RegDate:        2016-09-29
    Updated:        2016-09-29
    Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/ip/13.54.0.0

OrgName:        Amazon Corporate Services Pty Ltd
    OrgId:          ACSPL-2
    Address:        400 Harris Street 
    Address:        Ultimo
    City:           Sydney
    StateProv:      NSW
    PostalCode:     2006
    SirGrim wrote:
    One of the reasons Trump has set up the Space Force - so the military can take a more active role in Space
    So "Space Force" is being set up now is it? And you think he actually has some kind of coherent reason for it?

The US military already has a "Space Force", it's run by the US Airforce as part of STRATCOM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Space_Command

He announced it because he has the mind of a child, they're not actually going to change anything, what would be the point? They'd just have to print a lot of new business cards.

SirGrim wrote:
    Eventually I see NASA being dissolved and the Space Force taking up that role and more but that could be decades away
    NASA is a civilian agency. They're scientists, not soldiers.

We'd need a Space Force to search intergalactically to find a bigger idiot than you.

12. Smile
    You guys have probably already read this but...

wrote:
    Taking aim at Russia, NATO's civilian chief said on Wednesday (Belgium time) the alliance is studying a range of options to counter Moscow's alleged missile treaty violations, and America's top diplomat accused the Russians of having "grand designs" to dominate Europe.

In remarks at the outset of a NATO defense ministers meeting, Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said the military alliance is considering ways to counter Russian missiles without sparking an arms race. He called the missiles "a significant risk" to Europe.

In Poland, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Moscow's efforts to divide the European Union and NATO and disrupt western democracies must be countered through boosting NATO's presence.

"Russia has grand designs of dominating Europe and reasserting its influence on the world stage. Vladimir Putin seeks to splinter the NATO alliance, weaken the United States and disrupt Western democracies," he said.
    Read more

I wish Pres Trump was a bit nicer towards his allies in the past couple of years, The allies have been so strong because we are "allied".

I think NATO is Europe's best line of defense atm.

13. Post
    Clearly Quasi moron hasn't played Mass Effect

14. Smile
    SirGrim wrote:
    Clearly Quasi moron hasn't played Mass Effect
    Don't sink to that please, This is a forum for discussion and he may have offended you but you can be the bigger man and keep mainly on topic.

15. Post
    He can insult me if he wants, I'm certainly not going to stop doing it to him.