Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Help - PB Tech sale / laptop

Esteemed gentleman/woman. PBtech have an online sale that ends at midnight.

Im in dire need of a laptop, but have no clue what to buy. My max budget is $1200 but Id prefer to spend less.

Please help me select the best laptop for this price, I have no idea what brands are good these days. Itll just be used as a home laptop, studying and some sports streaming. Nothing too intensive. 15 screen preferred. I will be travelling with it.

Many thanks.

2. Post
    Buy an ex lease Lenovo Thinkpad.

3. Post
    Pricespy is still pretty helpful for finding the cheapest place and you should be able to get a pretty nice laptop (that's not that great for gaming) for $1k these days.

Unless you plan to do anything dramatic with it, any old i5 with 8gb of ram and a decent size hdd should do the job.

Something like this would be perfectly good.
    https://www.playtech.co.nz/laptop-pc...-10-black.html

This one has an ssd which would make it load stuff a lot quicker
    https://www.playtech.co.nz/laptop-pc...in10-home.html

Some brands have certain styles of track pad and keyboard you might prefer but you should go into a store and look at them if that's relevant.

4. Post
    Wouldn’t get anything without an ssd tbh.

5. Post
    Used Elitebook or Latitude if you don't need gimmicks and want a high quality, well-balanced build for non-gaming.

There's a reason enterprise pay 3k+ for mid-range spec with a $500 warranty and replace it later with the new version of the exact same thing.

2 year old $1000 Elitebook G3 > brand new $1000 Pavilion (unless it's for gaming, their top GPUs tend to be lower models).

6. Post
    Something like this:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...ndition-156-FH

Or something from here (changes regularly, selection at this moment isn't so good):
    https://www.dell.com/en-nz/outlet/Sy...0Tablets&pid=2

7. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Buy an ex lease Lenovo Thinkpad.
    this doesn't help OP, but the new X1E is very nice

8. Post
    What about something like this?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...i5-7200U-8GB-2

Is there really any discernible difference between brands? HP, Asus, Acer, Lenovo etc? Or is a $1000 laptop just gonna be a $1000 laptop? I keep seeing stuff that looks ok but then balk when I see garbage reviews online.

( Disclaimer - I'm a tightass )

9. Post
    The thing about a grand and under is usually the components are okish, but the build quality is pretty meh. It's the same across all brands, unless you manage to find a business model on special.

10. Post
    ChopperNZ wrote:
    What about something like this?

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...i5-7200U-8GB-2

Is there really any discernible difference between brands? HP, Asus, Acer, Lenovo etc? Or is a $1000 laptop just gonna be a $1000 laptop? I keep seeing stuff that looks ok but then balk when I see garbage reviews online.

( Disclaimer - I'm a tightass )
    If you're buying new, then make sure you get a Gen 8 i5/i7. (eg, i5-8250U).

Coffee Lake is when they moved to quad/hex cores and the price rarely differs much between them, but the performance difference is huge.

The one you linked is Gen 7 (i5-7200U).

Also you'll hate yourself if you get anything less than 1920x1080, especially in 15", and it's suspiciously difficult to find out what the screen resolution of that laptop is. Even Googling for other sellers.

List of things to be suspicious about when they only partially include it:
    - Listing i5/i7 only (usually means old)
    - Not listing Screen Res (usually means 1366x76
    - Not listing Panel Type (usually means TN, although this is less common)
    - Saying the screen has an LED panel and nothing else, usually means both of the above
    - M.2 SSD (usually means SATA)
    - Saying the processor is a Quad Core but no other info (usually means Atom)
    - Large drive capacities (HDD)
    - Long lasting battery but not actually telling you what the battery capacity is (they mean, it will last a long time in years, not that it will give you a long battery life in hours)

The ASUS above still doesn't give screen res, but only comes with a TN panel (45% NTSC), SATA SSDs and a 33Wh battery which is tiny for a 15":
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-La...pecifications/
    Last edited by suntoucher; 18th February 2019 at 4:23 pm.

11. Post
    I'd stay away from PBTech, their support and understanding of the CGA is abysmal.

12. Post
    I paid $3500 for a macbook pro in 2012, with the apple care warranty. I've had the base, keyboard, logic board and screen replaced under that (so basically a totally new one in parts).. Now that's expired and it's going to cost me close to NZ$1000 to have it fixed as the GPU has died.

I know I'm an idiot but.,. considering it
    Last edited by JC; 18th February 2019 at 9:45 pm. Reason: fact check

13. Post
    Get a new one instead. Those touch bars are oh so sweet.

14. Post
    The keyboards are rubbish tho. Might try and get one through my mrsrs work, they seem to have 2018 spec ones in the older MPB shells.. Dunno how..

Can get a ~2015 one for about the same as the price of the repair on ebay.. Might just do that, or grow up and get an X1 Carbon :~S

15. Post
    MBP SE? lawl. Seems like a good idea for those that like the old form factor.

16. Post
    Hello fellows, are chromebooks decent for uni work?

17. Post
    Maybe, if you're doing an Arts degree.

18. Post
    Having a computer for uni is a scam unless you're doing video/audio stuff. Just use a pad and a pen then do your assignments on your regular computer.

19. Post
    buy a nintendo switch

20. Post
    PtP wrote:
    Hello fellows, are chromebooks decent for uni work?
    Great for holding your paper down when the window is open.

JC wrote:
    Having a computer for uni is a scam unless you're doing video/audio stuff. Just use a pad and a pen then do your assignments on your regular computer.
    I type much faster than I write and having a laptop is way better than using the shitty uni desktops. And when I went to AUT a decade ago all material, timetables etc were on the web portal, so it made my life easier. I imagine it's even more ingrained now.

Also my hand would cramp up halfway through the letter A if I was told to write the alphabet these days.

21. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    buy a nintendo switch
    I'm gonna sell the PS4 and get one when I'm fin with RDR2. They're pretty fkn cool.

22. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    I'm gonna sell the PS4 and get one when I'm fin with RDR2. They're pretty fkn cool.
    Whynotboth.jpg?

23. Post
    Nothing on the PS4 floats my boat, other than RDR2. Before grand theft horse came along I hadn't used it in months.

24. Post
    I'm saving my pennies for a Switch to kill time on my new 1hr10min train commute. Damn they are not cheap here though ($~520NZ) without accessories or games

25. Post
    JC wrote:
    I paid $3500 for a macbook pro in 2012, with the apple care warranty. I've had the base, keyboard, logic board and screen replaced under that (so basically a totally new one in parts).. Now that's expired and it's going to cost me close to NZ$1000 to have it fixed as the GPU has died.

I know I'm an idiot but.,. considering it
    The CGA would replace all that for you also. Don't need the Apple Care Warranty, that's for Americans that lack proper consumer protection.