Results 1 to 23 of 23

  1. Post
    #1

    I am looking for a career change in Auckland!

    I don't know if posts like this are allowed here but I will try my luck.

    I have been greenkeeping for about 8 years. I enjoy it but have got an urge to try something new.

    I am currently living and working down in Queenstown but my girlfriend is living in Auckland. I am wanting to move up and I am thinking of using it as an opportunity to try something new.

    I often see people here on GP advertising jobs so thought I would put this out there and see if anyone up there had something that might suit someone like me. I have greenkeeping qualifications but apart from that I don't have much else.

    Thanks guys!

  2. Post
    #2
    You could do landscaping also I guess.

    Understand about the girlfriend but you're picking the most expensive parts of NZ to live in.

  3. Post
    #3
    We all get de-motivated from time to time when you're working in the same field for so long, you get into a rut. Perhaps just a change in scenery is all thats needed. Otherwise if you can handle a temporary (depends if you want to skill up) drop in pay and still want to work with your hands then construction/trades could be an option. The only jobs Ive ever seen on GP have been IT related, so whether thats something you want to pursue, its something you need to decide.

  4. Post
    #4
    Do you have any interest in going back to school or training in another field?

  5. Post
    #5
    bradc wrote:
    You could do landscaping also I guess.

    Understand about the girlfriend but you're picking the most expensive parts of NZ to live in.
    I don't know that Queenstown is any less expensive eh

  6. Post
    #6
    KevinL wrote:
    I don't know that Queenstown is any less expensive eh
    That's what I meant, it's the two most expensive places to live in. At least there won't be much of a shock with the rents.

  7. Post
    #7
    Cheers guys!
    bradc wrote:
    You could do landscaping also I guess.

    Understand about the girlfriend but you're picking the most expensive parts of NZ to live in.
    Yep I know haha. But that's where she wants to be for the foreseeable future so I don't have much choice!

    swazi wrote:
    We all get de-motivated from time to time when you're working in the same field for so long, you get into a rut. Perhaps just a change in scenery is all thats needed. Otherwise if you can handle a temporary (depends if you want to skill up) drop in pay and still want to work with your hands then construction/trades could be an option. The only jobs Ive ever seen on GP have been IT related, so whether thats something you want to pursue, its something you need to decide.
    I have worked at numerous golf courses over those 8 years so have had a change of scenery pretty regularly. It's good for a while but still get the urges for something different after a while. I would definitely take a pay cut to try something new, greenkeeping is pretty badly paid anyway I wouldn't be surprised if an apprentice electrician/plumber or something earns more lol.

    Would definitely consider IT. It's always been something i've been interested in just never been sure on the idea of spending all day sat in an office haha!

    PtP wrote:
    Do you have any interest in going back to school or training in another field?
    Yes I would study or train for something new. I am financially able to take a hit for a while if I needed to.

  8. Post
    #8
    You could try and pick up a “Pimp My Lawn” franchise or something like that? Utilise your existing skills, just get that change of scene mentioned earlier, be closer to the Missus, along with a slightly different career focus.

  9. Post
    #9
    NOMIS wrote:
    Would definitely consider IT. It's always been something i've been interested in just never been sure on the idea of spending all day sat in an office haha!
    I spend all day in the office and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know why people give office work such a hard time. I have a coffee machine, all the snacks I could want, in the middle of town so I can go anywhere at any time... I only spend maybe 4 hours a day actually at my desk, the rest of the time is walking about, talking to people, getting coffee etc.

    Much rather than than standing in the pouring rain on some building site just so I can say "I'd never want a office job!"

    I dunno man. Life.

  10. Post
    #10
    ^what office job is that? sounds ideal.. mmm coffee

  11. Post
    #11
    Privoxy wrote:
    I spend all day in the office and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know why people give office work such a hard time. I have a coffee machine, all the snacks I could want, in the middle of town so I can go anywhere at any time... I only spend maybe 4 hours a day actually at my desk, the rest of the time is walking about, talking to people, getting coffee etc.

    Much rather than than standing in the pouring rain on some building site just so I can say "I'd never want a office job!"

    I dunno man. Life.
    Coz it makes you get cozy and soft. *prods your belly*

  12. Post
    #12
    Privoxy wrote:
    I spend all day in the office and wouldn't have it any other way. I don't know why people give office work such a hard time. I have a coffee machine, all the snacks I could want, in the middle of town so I can go anywhere at any time... I only spend maybe 4 hours a day actually at my desk, the rest of the time is walking about, talking to people, getting coffee etc.

    Much rather than than standing in the pouring rain on some building site just so I can say "I'd never want a office job!"

    I dunno man. Life.
    I've spent 10 years in an office and 10 years out, for me being in an office can eat a bag of dicks. But obviously different strokes, for me the politics, lack of kinetic activity and overall environment don't spin my wheels.

  13. Post
    #13
    bradc wrote:
    the politics
    There are pros and cons for everything but hands down this is the worst thing ever.

    Having said that, my experience moving from a large office environment to a small one has been mostly positive. Still have to hear people bitching about other people (standard in life really) but none of the high-level politics you have to navigate in a larger office. I'd only ever go back for significantly more $$$.

  14. Post
    #14
    I work in one of the largest enterprises in the country and we have zero politics... Suppose each company is different, and how you define it.

  15. Post
    #15
    Privoxy wrote:
    I work in one of the largest enterprises in the country and we have zero politics... Suppose each company is different, and how you define it.
    You definitely don't work at Fisher & Paykel Healthcare, then.

  16. Post
    #16
    Privoxy wrote:
    I work in one of the largest enterprises in the country and we have zero politics... Suppose each company is different, and how you define it.
    Either that or you're oblivious to it.

  17. Post
    #17
    bradc wrote:
    Either that or you're oblivious to it.
    Maybe. Our entire building is all software engineers, and mostly male. Perhaps that's why it's hidden from us.

  18. Post
    #18
    Heh, theres your answer I guess, males, and software engineer types.

  19. Post
    #19
    basically just a big internet cafe isnt it?

  20. Post
    #20
    The trade company I work for (until end of next week thank ****) has an insane amount of politics, backstabbing, shady deals and gossiping. Pretty much all men as you'd expect, minus the office girls. And were pretty big for a construction company 200+

  21. Post
    #21
    You have to reach a certain point of the corporate hierarchy where you can have an office job and not have to be at your desk for your whole shift.


    OP, I heard an ad for green acre franchises, maybe that can be a go.

  22. Post
    #22
    swazi wrote:
    The trade company I work for (until end of next week thank ****) has an insane amount of politics, backstabbing, shady deals and gossiping. Pretty much all men as you'd expect, minus the office girls. And were pretty big for a construction company 200+
    Good you're getting out of it, I have one construction company client left, fricken nightmare industry.

  23. Post
    #23
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    You have to reach a certain point of the corporate hierarchy where you can have an office job and not have to be at your desk for your whole shift.
    I think this is pretty office/ role specific but even if it's not you can always consider that ladder-climbing period an office-apprenticeship.