1. Post

Mehico

Booked some flights to the southern states for August/September and wanting to check out the Yucatan Peninsula for a week, looking at flying into Cancun and staying around Tulum, anyone been there or have any suggestions?

2. Post
    Obvious Tormenta clickbait.

3. Post
    Tulum is nice, you can either stay in the town or out at the beach depending on your budget etc. You can bike between the two if you like. Temples and Cenotes Cars are cheap to hire and easy roads to drive on but the buses are cheap and air conned.
    Cancun is Cancun, Playa is a mini Cancun but fun for a night or two out.
    Cozumel is great and also Holbox if you have time. 3-4 days is plenty in Tulum unless you're happy to chill beach side etc.

4. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Obvious Tormenta clickbait.
    I think he got pissy and disappeared.

5. Post
    dupl3x wrote:
    Tulum is nice, you can either stay in the town or out at the beach depending on your budget etc. You can bike between the two if you like. Temples and Cenotes Cars are cheap to hire and easy roads to drive on but the buses are cheap and air conned.
    Cancun is Cancun, Playa is a mini Cancun but fun for a night or two out.
    Cozumel is great and also Holbox if you have time. 3-4 days is plenty in Tulum unless you're happy to chill beach side etc.
    I'm not set on any one place, I guess just somewhere not terribly touristy, reasonably authentic and on or near the beach. Tulum seemed kinda legit, thinking we will do maybe 5 days in Tulum and then another couple in Mexico City instead

6. Post
    I have a rule now never to spend more than a day in a city while in a 3rd world country. Get provisions then get out to the boonies

7. Post
    I've been to Cancun and loved it. Rented a car when we got there, hung out for a couple days on the beach/outside the hotel, then went to visit the Tulum ruins which was cool, then took a catamaran tour to Isla Mujeres which was fun (buffet sucked), and it was all you could drink. I would spend 4 days max in Cancun. The food is meh and expensive in the tourist areas. You'll have to go to the real part of cancun to find good Mexican food, but it's not the safest outside the tourist zone, Mexico city will do better food anyways.

I would spend the majority of your time in Mexico City tbh, though Cancun was really nice, theres only so much you can do there.

My fav foods were:
    Tacos de trompo/Gringa taco also known as Tacos al pastor.
    Tacos de bistec
    Tortas
    Plates of arrachera with queso, tortillas etc.
    Frijole charros (most taco places will give this as a side dish).

Use Uber rather than Taxis, it's safer and you won't get ripped off.

If you have any questions PM me. I lived in the north for 3 years.

8. Post
    bradc wrote:
    I have a rule now never to spend more than a day in a city while in a 3rd world country. Get provisions then get out to the boonies
    +1 this,