1. Post

Signing up to N26 in NZ

Has anyone tried signing up to N26 for when travelling overseas?
    I'm doing a work trip in Europe for 2 months so been exploring different options that will rip me off the least in terms of card transactions (Currently with ASB).

N26 looks amazing, but looks like I'd have to register with a European address.

Kiwibank's credit card looks good, however they have a sneaky fee where it charges you $60 investigation fee if something happens with your credit card account (which is a first).

2. Post
    ASB has just binned the ATM withdrawal fee as of like a week ago, just use your regular card?

3. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    ASB has just binned the ATM withdrawal fee as of like a week ago, just use your regular card?
    This is not true for overseas ATM's, where are you seeing this?

Plus I'd be using cards for purchases, not cash withdrawals.

4. Post
    Is the country you're visiting more of a cash society or a cashless sorta one? I'd just grab a debit card and transfer what you want on there and just grin and bear the 2 or 3 dollar transaction fees.

5. Post
    AlDrag wrote:
    This is not true for overseas ATM's, where are you seeing this?

Plus I'd be using cards for purchases, not cash withdrawals.
    Yes it is.

https://www.cheapies.nz/node/18897

They haven't updated the website yet but it is now gone from the guide to fees updated 14 Feb 2019
    https://www.asb.co.nz/documents/bank...e-to-fees.html

Use credit card for card purchases? Seems like a hassle to sign up to an entire bank and get cards for two months with no real benefit.

6. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Yes it is.

https://www.cheapies.nz/node/18897

They haven't updated the website yet but it is now gone from the guide to fees updated 14 Feb 2019
    https://www.asb.co.nz/documents/bank...e-to-fees.html

Use credit card for card purchases? Seems like a hassle to sign up to an entire bank and get cards for two months with no real benefit.
    You're right. That's awesome! Maybe I will just use that then.

The N26 card can always be used again when I travel however.

What is an ASB FastCash/Cashflow card? is it just any Credit Card? Can't seem to find much information on it. It has a really low offshore service margin.

7. Post
    FastCash/Cashflow is the regular, non-chip, non-debit EFTPOS card (at least my one is non-chip, they may have upgraded since then).

Unsure if pressing Cheque on Debit card counts.

8. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    Is the country you're visiting more of a cash society or a cashless sorta one? I'd just grab a debit card and transfer what you want on there and just grin and bear the 2 or 3 dollar transaction fees.
    Yea probably the best idea.

Cashless country mostly I've been told.

9. Post
    I had a job offer from N26 them just a wee while back.

10. Post
    AlDrag wrote:
    Has anyone tried signing up to N26 for when travelling overseas?
    I'm doing a work trip in Europe for 2 months so been exploring different options that will rip me off the least in terms of card transactions (Currently with ASB).

N26 looks amazing, but looks like I'd have to register with a European address.

Kiwibank's credit card looks good, however they have a sneaky fee where it charges you $60 investigation fee if something happens with your credit card account (which is a first).
    That fraud investigation fee generally gets waived.

AlDrag wrote:
    I'd be using cards for purchases, not cash withdrawals.
    Getting cash out is the expensive thing with bank cards. Purchases should be "free" in that they make their money off their rubbish exchange rate rather than explicit fees.

This can go in the travel forum.

11. Post
    TransferWise has a card like that too, mine came in less than a week and they operate in NZ so maybe that's an option?

Or just send it to me, I won't spend your money

12. Post
    JC wrote:
    TransferWise has a card like that too, mine came in less than a week and they operate in NZ so maybe that's an option?

Or just send it to me, I won't spend your money
    They don't give cards to addresses in NZ yet. Did you do it overseas?

13. Post
    Slight update on this, revolut was meant to be up and running in NZ as of last year, I tweeted them with no response,

Any good alternatives? Am doing a month in the states in August and keen to not pay extortionate fees

14. Post
    Any updates on best travel abroad card options?

I'm thinking of going with an ANZ card with no foreign withdrawal fees and just take out lumps of cash in the countries i'll be travelling around in EU.

15. Post
    Digital Citizen wrote:
    Any updates on best travel abroad card options?

I'm thinking of going with an ANZ card with no foreign withdrawal fees and just take out lumps of cash in the countries i'll be travelling around in EU.
    Depending on what country you are going to, I just ended up using my debit card for purely eftpos purchases (I was staying in Denmark, which is heavily cashless).

The transaction fees were so minor that it was better than all the other options since it has a good exchange rate.

16. Post
    I get out about $500 of cash from the ATM and then pay for as much stuff as possible with the credit card directly. Getting cash out is more expensive in interest rates and fees and also getting stuck with foreign cash if you don't spend it all so it's better to minimize it.

It's really not worth the hassle of using foreign cash holding cards. You still get burned by the exchange rates when you make the initial exchange and despite what people say, there's no way to predict exchange rates, there's never a "good time" to exchange money.