1. Post

Bali

Hi all.

Travelling to Bali this September for about 5 nights. Going to attend a wedding (this is in Uluwatu). I've never really had a desire to go before, so I have no idea what to do, where to stay, how to get around, how much things cost etc.

Any recommendations? I am very food oriented so keen to hear about what to eat. I'm thinking of getting a villa airbnb as there is potentially a group of 5 of us so renting a whole villa with 3 or 4 rooms may end up cheaper. I've been told to stay in Padang Padang as this is near the wedding venue.

Not crazy keen on scuba diving, but I read about zip lining which would be fun, I'm keen to visit some temples and maybe go to the monkey forest.

Also yes I've read the other threads about this but they're a few years old now.

Chur!
    Last edited by i.e.awesome; 21st February 2019 at 1:01 pm.

2. Post
    Surprised there are no replies to this yet. Everything is quite cheap so you won't need to worry about prices too much.

Definitely go to the monkey forest, it is awesome!

I also recommend going to a barong dance performance:
    http://www.bali-individually.com/new...e-performances

I went to one a tour and is was really good. Probably something I wouldn't have done if I didn't do the tour. Also went to a coffee/tea tasting at a plantation which was also good.

If you know exactly what you want to do, I would avoid tours and just hire a private driver. You can hire a driver for a whole day for 500,000 which is about $50NZD (not sure if gas is included).

3. Post
    Food prices vary wildly and there are a lot of cafes which mimic those of NZ and Aus to cater for the oceanic heavy tourist trade. Expect to pay ~$10 for these places like good value for what you get but still far more expensive than what the locals pay. Often they have a local spin to the meals but are rather western-centric.

Otherwise there are many local eateries that look rather dodge but if thats your thing then go for it. Nasi campur is probably a good place to start as you have a taste of many side dishes. Some places you just grab a plate and you self serve from a variety of things, then they just charge you at the end. Bear in mind that these might be sitting around in lukewarm temps all day.

4. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    I am very food oriented
    Lol

I haven't been to Bali but TripAdvisor has always been awesome for finding those epic side street places that you would never see otherwise and I'm sure it applies in Bali too. There will be thousands of absolutely terrible tourist food places so it's definitely worth spending a few minutes each evening getting an idea of where to go. The idea that going to places at random is more authentic is absolute bullshit.

5. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Hi all.
    Travelling to Bali this September for about 5 nights. Going to attend a wedding (this is in Uluwatu). I've never really had a desire to go before, so I have no idea what to do, where to stay, how to get around, how much things cost etc.
    Went to Bali nearly ten years ago so things might have changed a bit since then. We stayed in Kuta, Uluwatu and Ubud. Kuta beach was packed and full of hawkers. We didn't have a moment of peace as people come by literally every few minutes to sell us stuff. Kuta is good for shopping though if you need to buy stuff and there are plenty of restaurants too. We also attended a wedding in Uluwatu, Tirtha Uluwatu it was beautiful. Uluwatu temple was also beautiful. Ubud is very scenic and it is where the monkey forest is.
    Everywhere, we went there were always people trying to sell us stuffs so it was every exhausting and it was hard to remain cool after a while. I would recommend hire a car with a driver who can take you to places. IIRC it's about NZD 100.00 or so a day to hire a car with a driver. Restaurants seem to have different price for local and foreigners. They could also be sneaky and would be adding some extra taxes which was not shown in the menu so just beware.

6. Post
    Currently enjoying the first holiday I've had in a while. Mates wedding to attend. Other than that just relax.

7. Post
    I really enjoyed it. Our bed in the villa of our second accommodation had bed bugs though which was horrific to go through. The roads are crazy, and I thought thailand was bad.

8. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    I really enjoyed it. Our bed in the villa of our second accommodation had bed bugs though which was horrific to go through. The roads are crazy, and I thought thailand was bad.
    What did you do when you realized there are bed bugs? I dream about going to Bali and traveling around the region in general, but all these stories about bed bugs and stuff like this are creeping me out

- - - Updated - - -