Lol, Labour thinks they can tax revenue of digital MNCs

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Lol, Labour thinks they can tax revenue of digital MNCs

February 2019 – The Government announces plans to tax on the revenue of multinational digital companies, likely to be between 2-3 per cent.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12205003

Good luck convincing said companies to pay more in tax than they gain from NZ.

Looking forward to the day that all of the search engines block NZ.

Who really needs the internet, right guys? We just need the NZNet.

2. Post
    I wonder if they realise the GST law isn't directly coming from the overseas companies but is a tax on local citizens.

This is like trying to tax Amazon's income on an external hard drive we bought. The final price was just increased 15%.

The GST law wasn't a government win against Amazon, it was a government win against the people of NZ.

3. Post
    nationalize the internet tbh

4. Post
    What an over reaction
    Do you work for shitbook suntoucher

- - - Updated - - -

Gesellschaft wrote:
    nationalize the internet tbh
    Go away commie

5. Post
    Tax Amazon into the ground

6. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    What an over reaction
    Do you work for shitbook suntoucher

- - - Updated - - -

Go away commie
    Do people actually call it that? I'm curious whether you use it now and lol, no.

I work for a local software company, run a small company that operates locally and working on a product that will source 100% of its revenue in and from NZ. So I won't be affected at all (except for the services I use that will disappear after laughing at our laws).

"We don't know how much money you make, and how profitable it is but **** you, pay me. No we aren't going to wait for global players who actually have weight to build something more sensible because we like being in the news"

I just find it wildly laughable the shit that comes out of Arderns mouth and it's 100% to make headlines, not a successful country.

7. Post
    If they do business here why shouldn't they pay tax here the same as any local company?

Your startup's going to have to pay taxes, why shouldn't Google? Seems like the big boys might have an unfair advantage over local industry imo and we should seize the means of digital production.

And National agrees the party's finance spokeswoman Amy Adams said National thought multinational should pay their fair share of tax.

8. Post
    frio wrote:
    If they do business here why shouldn't they pay tax here the same as any local company?

You
    Local companies pay tax on profit, not revenue, and who says they're doing business here?

For example, if I buy a web plugin from a company in America, I'm actually doing business in America, they're not doing business here. For the same reason we don't charge a profit tax to Amazon for that hard drive I bought.

It's completely unenforceable and ****s up income tax laws, us charging an income tax (actually a revenue tax) for a digital good between borders is no different to charging an income tax for a non-digital good between borders. It's basically a tariff.

9. Post
    Also the NZNet would kick ass. Someone hire a hotshot network engineer and get on that.

We could call it the interNetZ

10. Post
    frio wrote:
    Also the NZNet would kick ass. Someone hire a hotshot network engineer and get on that.

We could call it the interNetZ
    Job done, it's called domestic traffic.

Could you imagine if you, say, made an app and sold it for a buck. Now 180 people from 180 countries downloaded your app.

Now the governments from those 180 countries now expect you to fill out their local income tax forms and deposit their share.

Oh, it didn't actually cover hosting costs and you're losing money with every download? **** you, pay me my 3c.

11. Post
    Spark doesn’t peer at NZIX so we’ll still need a hotshot network engineer. We might also need to bribe a politician or something to force their hand. Let’s get on this people.

12. Post
    Spark not peering is so dry

13. Post
    I think the internet is pretty shitted up TBH, commercial entities own it and run you through their filter.

These overseas entities often undercut or take business away from local ones so if they're going to do so, they can contribute.

If we tolerate this then our children will be next.

14. Post
    MNC's diddle the numbers to hide real profits they take out, NZ's not the first country to do this. But all they will do is put their pricing up in NZ to cover the tax. It's a game Jacinda cannot win (well actually she can win if she does what Ireland do)

15. Post
    frio wrote:
    Someone hire a hotshot network engineer .
    You mean a hotshot network engineer extraordinaire, ready to hit the ground running with a can do attitude and willing to go the extra mile to put a smile on others faces?

16. Post
    A rockstar. A ninja. A unicorn.

17. Post
    Lets just tax all port 80 and 443 traffic by the megabyte so these MNCs are finally forced to code their websites efficiently.

18. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    You mean a hotshot network engineer extraordinaire, ready to hit the ground running with a can do attitude and willing to go the extra mile to put a smile on others faces?
    We should get Huawai to do it.

19. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Lets just tax all port 80 and 443 traffic by the megabyte so these MNCs are finally forced to code their websites efficiently.
    I like where this is going

20. Post
    Ending net neutrality?

21. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    MNC's diddle the numbers to hide real profits they take out, NZ's not the first country to do this. But all they will do is put their pricing up in NZ to cover the tax. It's a game Jacinda cannot win (well actually she can win if she does what Ireland do)
    Using this argument might as well not have any corporate tax at all, just pass it all onto salary and wage earners.

22. Post
    Bring back Monday Night Combat

23. Post
    Uncap the DC++ hubs for da boys

24. Post
    My internet has become incredibly small over the last 5 years. I look at like 10 webpages max. I remember when I could spend a whole evening just looking at random stuff, now it's all just the same.

I welcome our new interNetZ overlordz.

25. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Using this argument might as well not have any corporate tax at all, just pass it all onto salary and wage earners.
    Uhhh NZ based corporates cannot shift profits offshore easily.