Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Hey GP, I'm doing something really stupid for a good charity.

I've got all month to climb the equivalent height of Everest, but instead I'm going to try to do it in one day.

It's raising money for the Himalayan Trust, which Sir Ed founded a while back and helps with healthcare, safe water, hygiene, education, and earthquake recovery.

They're worth donating to on their own merit, but now you get to also add to the stupid amount of pressure I've put myself under by saying I'm going to do this challenge in a day. The Summit Challenge runs for the month of March, and tracks your vertical ascent over that time - whether it be by bike, walking, running, whatever.

I'm doing it by bike, and I'll be starting at around 2AM on the first of March. My goal is to be done by nightfall on the first day of the challenge. Everest is just under 9km high, so I'll be biking up one of the bigger climbs on Christchurch's Port Hills 21 times. It's going to suck.

Here's my page:
    https://summitchallenge.everydayhero.com/nz/jhan

Donate! Or not. It'd be cool though. Or donate to someone else. Who am I do tell you what to do?

2. Post
    Will you plant a GP flag on the summit after the 21st run?

3. Post
    cool

4. Post
    Good luck dude.

5. Post
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    Good luck dude.
    Thanks bro!

As for the flag, the road doesn't go quite to the top of the hill though I may be able to stumble to the top if my legs allow it after that haha.

6. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    As for the flag, the road doesn't go quite to the top of the hill though I may be able to stumble to the top if my legs allow it after that haha.
    I'm sure GP can pull enough together to make it worth your while.
    I'm pretty much broke but I should be able to throw $5 your way.

7. Post
    I don't want to register, can I put ten bucks in someone's account who is planning to donate?

Or yours OP?

"I want to donate ten bucks"
    "Cool, unnecessarily give me all of your personal details first"

8. Post
    Sure, if you don't want to chuck fake details in i'm happy to do it on your behalf. I'll flick you a PM. Thanks man!

Also MX, champion, any amount means a lot.

9. Post
    What a top effort, good luck dude.

10. Post
    Bit slack. Sir Ed did his without a bike and in less than a day.

11. Post
    Donated

12. Post
    J` wrote:
    He had a slave carry him up most of the way

I'll donate when I can figure out how to log in. Got a venmo or something ffs

13. Post
    JC wrote:

Hey big spender

14. Post
    Earning pounds now, you see

(Checks xe.com) ah fuc

15. Post
    J` wrote:
    Hillary probably climbed less than 1km on his final day. If anything OP is more of a NZ hero than Hillary ever will be. We should put him on the $5 note instead.

16. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Hillary probably climbed less than 1km on his final day. If anything OP is more of a NZ hero than Hillary ever will be. We should put him on the $5 note instead.
    Agree

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys your generosity is awesome

17. Post

18. Post
    JC wrote:

Can be replicated with an E-Bike

19. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    I hate that guy, but he's right. I wish we'd leave the place alone. Aside from helping out the locals, of course.

20. Post
    9km of vertical in one day seems pretty killer; with generous breaks I can manage Rapaki maybe three times before my heart supernovas.

21. Post
    I’d donate if you ate a tin of cat food.

22. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    I’d donate if you ate a tin of cat food.
    Go on then. I'll do it if you donate. I promise.

23. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    Go on then. I'll do it if you donate. I promise.
    Just make sure you do it AFTER the bike ride.

24. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    It's raising money for the Himalayan Trust, which Sir Ed founded a while back and helps with healthcare, safe water, hygiene, education, and earthquake recovery.
    In Nepal, right? What's your connection to it?

AgrAde wrote:
    I'm doing it by bike, and I'll be starting at around 2AM on the first of March. My goal is to be done by nightfall on the first day of the challenge. Everest is just under 9km high, so I'll be biking up one of the bigger climbs on Christchurch's Port Hills 21 times. It's going to suck.
    Jesus... you must be an elite level competitive bike rider?

I prefer the idea of charity starting at home, personally. Good luck though.

25. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    In Nepal, right? What's your connection to it?

I prefer the idea of charity starting at home, personally. Good luck though.
    No connection. Just a bit of respect for someone who tried to make a difference in one of the poorer countries in the world so I thought i'd carry that on. I totally get that you'd want to support NZ first though.

Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Jesus... you must be an elite level competitive bike rider?
    Not at all, I wouldn't even call myself a road cyclist (maybe I could now though, having done a 272km training ride for this haha). Have a heavy-ish decade+ old bike and had to buy a bunch of kit just to actually be able to attempt it. I'm on the fast end of mountain bikers which is my main jam but wouldn't come close to winning a local race.