1. Post

New soundbar: Optical vs HDMI ARC?

Hey guys

Just got a new soundbar & was wondering if its better to have it connected to the TV via optical cable or HDMI ARC? I originally had it connected via optical cable as well as an HDMi cable in a normal HDMI slot, so I could still control the soundbar with the TV remote. I have now changed the slot to the ARC one & removed the optical cable completely.

The TV is only a 2 year old 1080P one btw

I have no idea what is the best option & I'm not sure i can hear any difference or not so any advice would be appreciated

cheers

2. Post
    HDMI is fine, both are digital signal, so no worries.

3. Post
    Yeah. The only reason you'd run the optical is if you had handshaking issues with the HDMI. Which used to be far too common, thankfully HDMI is mostly reliable now.

4. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    Yeah. The only reason you'd run the optical is if you had handshaking issues with the HDMI. Which used to be far too common, thankfully HDMI is mostly reliable now.
    this. Use HDMI ARC where possible so things sync together nicely. Sometimes though, when units are mixed of varying ages or brands, they don't quite talk to each other properly and it ends up being an absolute headache to the point where its better to turn it off and rely on an optical cable as the audio output.

5. Post
    sweet thx for the advice guys