1. Post

His Dark Materials [BBC]

Starring Dafne Keen as Lyra Belacqua, Ruth Wilson as Marisa Coulter, James McAvoy as Lord Asriel, Clarke Peters as Dr. Carne and Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby.

2. Post
    YAY! Its about time.

3. Post
    Shit, do I need to read these books before watching now?

4. Post

5. Post
    ManBeastLove wrote:
    Shit, do I need to read these books before watching now?
    I haven't read them for about 15 years but yes.

I remember being so, so disappointed by the Golden Compass movie. The cast was so good (better than the cast for this show) but everything else was just wrong. I feel like maybe the world wasn't ready for it too; in a world where a movie with a talking raccoon is insanely popular, I think this has a better shot at being successful. Wasn't helped by the Christian lobbyists too of course..

6. Post
    Valeo wrote:

I remember being so, so disappointed by the Golden Compass movie. The cast was so good (better than the cast for this show) but everything else was just wrong. I feel like maybe the world wasn't ready for it too; in a world where a movie with a talking raccoon is insanely popular, I think this has a better shot at being successful. Wasn't helped by the Christian lobbyists too of course..
    Well yeah, they excised an entire theme of the books.

7. Post
    Yep; I don't think that is the reason it didn't hit with the general populace though

8. Post
    Finally a full length trailer.

9. Post
    Looks good to me.

10. Post

11. Post
    Valeo wrote:

I thought lee scoresby was SO DAMN GOOD casted in that movie (don't remember who the actor was) but he was exactly as I pictured him reading the books as a kid

12. Post
    Chris Weitz came off of directing American Pie movies to direct Golden Compass, so i wasn't surprised it sucked, given the book itself was bad anyway.

13. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    Chris Weitz came off of directing American Pie movies to direct Golden Compass, so i wasn't surprised it sucked, given the book itself was bad anyway.
    Get out

clip wrote:
    I thought lee scoresby was SO DAMN GOOD casted in that movie (don't remember who the actor was) but he was exactly as I pictured him reading the books as a kid

Sam Elliott? 100% Agreed. Much better casting than this TV series - Lin-Manuel Miranda? Yeah, nah.

14. Post
    This starts on Monday. Hyped.

15. Post
    Great start. Awesome cast. Maybe my new favorite show.

16. Post
    Where do we watch this?

17. Post
    Pirate.gif

18. Post
    Enjoying it so far.