1. Post
    it's a shit idea on multiple levels.

a very large amount of spam is sent by computers infected with malware. assuming this model somehow gets implemented, the owners of those computers (most would be companies too) would incur fees. GL to this 'third party' when they have to deal with 100000s of refund requests

1c is also pretty damn expensive in some countries, you would stop legitimate messages (well not really, everyone would just move to another way of communication because they are not idiots).

2. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Yep, true.

But the GDPR passed, the NZ GST law passed, NZ wants to tax revenue on web MNCs. Basically if a major political body (hence the casting call at the very beginning) said "This is now what's happening" like the UN, US or EU then basically everyone would just suck it up and deal with it.
    And that's just my point, I don't think they would "just suck it up" it could cause a massive rift over the rules and regulations of it all and by the time everyone approved it'd be watered to nothing

suntoucher wrote:
    Not really, although admittedly I type as I think, then I rethink, I don't consider then post. And I try not to double post.

It does, but if daily emails drop from 10 billion to 3 billion (or more likely, 30 billion to 10 billion) then that should actually have a net gain on bandwidth (and a net gain on overall latency).
    Then save it as a draft and come back later coz waiting 10 minutes to make sure you're done editing it with more clarity/information is a pain in the ass

Also, it's not just about bandwidth, it will cause A delay which is more than No delay, and these days people are entitled impatient wankers, anything that stops them getting what they want immediately is bad (even if they don't get any spam)

Another thing I've just thought of. Spammers will still exist, they'll just use ill-gotten funds to pay for it I.e. Credit card fraud etc

3. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    it's a shit idea on multiple levels.

a very large amount of spam is sent by computers infected with malware. assuming this model somehow gets implemented, the owners of those computers (most would be companies too) would incur fees. GL to this 'third party' when they have to deal with 100000s of refund requests

1c is also pretty damn expensive in some countries, you would stop legitimate messages (well not really, everyone would just move to another way of communication because they are not idiots).
    I'm quoting this because I know (you said earlier) you have him on ignore, they're both very valid points and worthy of reflection

4. Post
    also, a conservative estimate of a number of emails sent per day in 2019 is around 300 billion. even if this number halves, that means this new mysterious third party agency would potentially deal with billions of dollars of turnover a day.

no, nothing worrying about that. LOL

5. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    And that's just my point, I don't think they would "just suck it up" it could cause a massive rift over the rules and regulations of it all and by the time everyone approved it'd be watered to nothing
    Would it really, though? If say, the EU legislated it, then the mail providers there would be pretty on board. They're getting free cash for doing almost nothing more. And once their bodies were set up, exporters here there and everywhere would just pay the money to ensure their emails were received.

St4lk3r wrote:
    Then save it as a draft and come back later coz waiting 10 minutes to make sure you're done editing it with more clarity/information is a pain in the ass
    I'll see what I can do, or just double post.

St4lk3r wrote:
    Also, it's not just about bandwidth, it will cause A delay which is more than No delay, and these days people are entitled impatient wankers, anything that stops them getting what they want immediately is bad (even if they don't get any spam)
    How much delay are we talking about? Computers are pretty fast. Would you notice an extra 100ms on receiving an email? I wouldn't. My email application adds far more than that.

St4lk3r wrote:
    Another thing I've just thought of. Spammers will still exist, they'll just use ill-gotten funds to pay for it I.e. Credit card fraud etc
    True, but they'll use those funds no matter what, whether it's on email or goods from Amazon. I don't see the amount of fraud changing, just the type. But the ones with the valid credit card numbers will in no way make up for the loss of spam.

6. Post
    I currently work for a software company heavily involved with exports, I can say with certainty companies will just pay to ensure that the importing body is happy (China is putting new regulations in daily).

And really that's all the countries care about, importers and exporters. Everyday people would be a second thought, and would eventually fall in line (probably move to Skype but they're not monetising people, they're discouraging the wrong people).

7. Smile
    Would think that billion dollar companies would have thought of this 1 idea and better ones is all I'm getting at.

Imagine if an email provider/what ever could come up with the perfect way to stop spam and malware etc, Everyone would want to use it. (especially if you're getting bombarded with unwanted emails)

8. Post
    it's also philosophically a bad idea (this is more IMO). the whole idea of the internet is about the free sharing of information. it's a decentralised, peer to peer network where (almost) anything goes. without this design I doubt it would have been as successful as it has been.

adding regulation/roadbloacks or intermediaries goes against some of its core principles - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_principle

9. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    Would think that billion dollar companies would have thought of this 1 idea and better ones is all I'm getting at.

Imagine if an email provider/what ever could come up with the perfect way to stop spam and malware etc, Everyone would want to use it. (especially if you're getting bombarded with unwanted emails)
    Google has a very good spam solution, I never see spam in my gmail/gsuite inbox. OP is talking more about people that run their own mail servers (I guess these people still exist)

10. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Would it really, though? If say, the EU legislated it, then the mail providers there would be pretty on board. They're getting free cash for doing almost nothing more. And once their bodies were set up, exporters here there and everywhere would just pay the money to ensure their emails were received.
    How many countries are in the EU, is it all of them? Big picture here, you're asking all countries to agree to something

suntoucher wrote:
    I'll see what I can do, or just double post.
    Personally I'd prefer double posting to replying to something that's changed/edited

suntoucher wrote:
    How much delay are we talking about? Computers are pretty fast. Would you notice an extra 100ms on receiving an email? I wouldn't. My email application adds far more than that.
    Any delay, it's also assuimg the 3rd party servers are bulletproof and never drop the ball (lol)

suntoucher wrote:
    True, but they'll use those funds no matter what, whether it's on email or goods from Amazon. I don't see the amount of fraud changing, just the type. But the ones with the valid credit card numbers will in no way make up for the loss of spam.
    I don't buy it, you're taking their source of free income (conning old ladies) away, they're going to try find a way to get it back, stolen credit cards don't get them easy western union/bank transfers etc

11. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:

Funnily enough they did.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040806....ap/index.html

And I agree, although the difficulty is what defines spam. I go back to my example earlier of, "Company that has an unsubscribe button but will only unsubscribe you to one of 7000 things they've subscribed you to"

or;

"Companies that force you to login to unsubscribe, even though you haven't logged in for 7 years" which happened this year to me.

I see that as spam and have clicked unsubscribe but haven't been able to successfully stop it. Google doesn't mark those as spam, although they do mark other legitimate spam.

12. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    How many countries are in the EU, is it all of them? Big picture here, you're asking all countries to agree to something

Personally I'd prefer double posting to replying to something that's changed/edited

Any delay, it's also assuimg the 3rd party servers are bulletproof and never drop the ball (lol)

I don't buy it, you're taking their source of free income (conning old ladies) away, they're going to try find a way to get it back, stolen credit cards don't get them easy western union/bank transfers etc
    The EU seems to agree on stuff like this consistently.

Cool, so you probably wouldn't notice the delay. I don't sit on Gmail/365 constantly, and I know my mail applications take a while to register from there (Outlook, Mail, Gmail App etc).

But they were going to use those credit cards regardless before they're cancelled. They're not just sitting on them waiting for something important to come along. They know they'll be cancelled at any moment (usually when the person reports it missing).

And I'd be surprised if EVERY spammer is sitting on a list of stolen credit cards.

13. Post
    Sounds like you've got it all under control, good luck.

14. Post
    What's crazy is that I threw a number of a billion emails being sent per day in the OP but now I think more about it it's likely that's an extremely low estimate.

1,000,000,000 emails per day being a low estimate.

15. Post
    imagine the processing power required to even handle that. I doubt all of Google's infrastructure would even hit 10 billion requests/day; so you need something 100x the size of Google

time to HOS the thread?

16. Smile
    sorceror wrote:
    imagine the processing power required to even handle that. I doubt all of Google's infrastructure would even hit 10 billion requests/day; so you need something 100x the size of Google
    I think there would be more than one server but you're kind of right, Unless everyone goes el cheapo and lowers email use dramatically to save dollars.

wrote:
    time to HOS the thread?
    It's a discussion, You don't need to HOS everything.

17. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    I think there would be more than one server but you're kind of right, Unless everyone goes el cheapo and lowers email use dramatically to save dollars.
    Meh, current DNS can handle it, and it will only be a small subset of what they deal with. I mentioned earlier it would probably be places like InternetNZ and their equivalent.

18. Post
    No, you will still be getting spam. Except now the spam will be the one who pays for the monitoring entity. Or the government approved spam.

19. Post
    What a strange thread. I'm still trying to stop the local MP or real estate agent spamming up my letterbox, once we sort that out we can talk about email.

20. Post
    Haven't had fliers from the local MP but I get at least 3 different realters a week.

21. Post
    sure why don't we charge for medical care and put toll roads everywhere too while we're at it

22. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Can you do that in GPForums? I can't see anything in either Quick Reply or Advanced Editor.

23. Post
    Now you mention that It might be tapatalk only sorry, will look when I get home

24. Post
    Dumb idea, and if your company can't sort out spam then they're useless.

25. Post
    So if a spammer comprises your email they could run up thousands of dollars?

I read about an idea a while back that added like a second between emails sent. This would have no effect on most of us but absolutely cripple spammers.