1. Post

New soundbar issue (Panasonic SC-HTB690)

Just having this issue with my new soundbar where the bass from the sub will just suddenly get overly loud & harsh from out of the blue.

For example I was watching Kong Skull Island in the weekend & one scene when Kong was breathing the bass suddenly got really loud and harsh but when there were explosions they weren't anywhere near as loud.

Most of the time the bass is fine but at random intervals like I mentioned above it gets quite sharp & harsh but not boomy & way out of proportion with the rest of the sound going on.

cheers

2. Post
    Sir Grim? I read you had one of these so you might know the answer.

3. Post
    can't say I've struck this issue before. Might be the sort of thing that if you could record a video on your phone, you could at least show the service centre whats going on. Then they might find it easier to recreate the fault.

4. Post
    If you repeat the scene does it always do it in exactly the same way? What if you lower the volume? What if you disable any sort of dynamic range/dialogue/night viewing/whatever mode?

5. Post
    BorgWarner wrote:
    If you repeat the scene does it always do it in exactly the same way? What if you lower the volume? What if you disable any sort of dynamic range/dialogue/night viewing/whatever mode?
    I repeated that scene & wasn't as bad as I remember but I was watching Star Trek Discovery & I watched this one particular scene over & over it sounds the same each time with the loud harsh distorted bass. So it doesn't seem that the issue is random & 90% of the time everything sounds fine so know sure what the issue could be.

When I change the sound mode from Cinema to Standard the issue goes away though so I think its something to do with the Cinema mode. I actually read a few user reviews on Amazon UK & a few other people actually have the same issue. I'm thinking its not actually a fault & just the way the soundbar is as it doesn't happen in every loud action heavy scene.

6. Post
    Try the Star Trek scene at a lower volume. Just wondering if Cinema mode is trying to add too much bass which can cause the speaker to distort - either because the subwoofer's amp is being over-driven, giving a distorted signal or the signal is clean but the speaker cannot handle the level of power.

If turning down the volume makes no real difference then the issue is probably in the digial signal processing when in Cinema mode - the signal is shit before it even reaches the subwoofer's amp.

7. Post
    Turns out I was being dumb & paranoid lol. I put a doormat under the sub and now there is no more issue. It was on a wooden floor before & because the sub is down firing it was causing that unpleasant boominess & vibrations because of the wood. So all good now