Do games make us violent?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    You used to be cool
    I used to be many things. cool was never one of them.

2. Post
    darkness_nz wrote:
    I used to be many things. cool was never one of them.
    *chortle*

3. Post
    The video game industry is just an extension of MK-ULTRA

4. Post
    Is this going to be a story for The Spinoff?

5. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    When you were a child and teenager I'm guessing there weren't too many video games to draw inspiration for violence from. What do you think made the people responsible violent?
    Well the one person who was the perpetrator (step father), he did it for strange reasons;

1) If I made his coffee wrong, I'd get smacked around the head
    2) If we was with his mates, he saw no problem hitting me with slug gun pellets as amusement

Made worse, by my mother saying this form of 'discipline' was good for me. I left my family at 16 and looked after myself ever since

So yeah, video games do not cause violent behaviour, some people just have a violent nature.

6. Post
    What an a$$hole. Sorry you had to go through that m8.

7. Post
    Thanks. It was one hell I would not wish any other children would go through, hence why I am supportive of anyone who want to end this horrible domestic violence that is still killing dozens of people in NZ and hundreds if not thousands globally.

8. Post
    May as well do a piece on whether fortnite has sparked a construction boom because it involves 'building'.

.... on second thought if you do that I want royalties

But honestly guys if someone wants to do a positive piece it's not a bad thing - there's still a bunch of parents who no shit are like 'My kid can't play that game because I don't want him learning that killing is ok'.

You might be the hero they need.

Then again if the demographic of this show is kids, then it's preaching to the converted anyway.

9. Post
    This doesn't really seem like a good angle lol.

"Hi, big time gamer here. The only reason I've never committed murder or assault in my life is thanks to murdering and assaulting countless thousands of NPCs in GTA, and I probably would've done something in 2016 if it wasn't for DOOM letting me rip the spines out of creatures."

10. Post
    Video games are for children.

11. Post
    Look, the point is that we live in a society

12. Post
    don't make me come down there and murder you

gamers rise up (against reb)

13. Post
    I can only rise up after I kill a hooker if you know what I mean

14. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    I can only rise up after I kill a hooker if you know what I mean
    I don't, please go into great detail to help me understand.

15. Post
    Seems the logic in this thread is a video game that teaches you how to make meth, probably doesn't make you want to smoke it.

16. Post
    Games like Battlefront 2 and Fallout 76 make me violent (towards the ****heads that thought it was a good idea to make and release them)

17. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    So yeah, video games do not cause violent behaviour, some people just have a violent nature.
    All humans are violent by nature.

@OP - you have studied human history and are aware of the wars we've fought and the violent acts we've perpetuated as a race before video games were invented right?

18. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Games like Battlefront 2 and Fallout 76 make me violent (towards the ****heads that thought it was a good idea to make and release them)
    I feel the same about Mafia III and the first destiny

19. Post
    Aren't we past this? especially with video games being so mainstream these days.

20. Post
    No one really cares about this since Jack Thompson finally made enough of a **** of himself to get disbarred.

21. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Aren't we past this? especially with video games being so mainstream these days.

I'm surprised they aren't still rolling with the devil's music tbh.

22. Post
    Some violent video games can help provide some basics on how to be an effective killer and are just 1 additional common place thing modern society has that helps desensitize & normalize people towards violence. I do not think violent video games helps make someone violent any more then a TV show or movie that features death.

23. Post
    The only game that has made me completely rage is FIFA if that helps.

24. Post
    Pretty sure it's the violent history of humanity that's made us violent.

25. Post
    Remember when Manhunt was banned in NZ