1. Post

Sony in “advanced board level discussions” to buyout Rockstar parent company Take-Two

Shares in Take-Two today have climbed due to a Sony buyout rumor.

Rumors of a possible Take-Two take over by Sony have caused shares in the company to jump 5.4%.

According to a MarketWatch report (via Daniel Ahmad), Sony is currently in “advanced board level discussions” regarding the acquisition of Take-Two Interactive. It’s said to be looking at a “cash deal,” value the company at $130 share, per Joel Kulina of Wedbush Securities.

Going by the numbers, it would be a bit difficult for Sony to afford the buyout, unless it has found a buyer for its Sony Pictures division. We’re not privy to its finances, but it would be a very expensive deal even if it sells its film studio as rumors state.

This isn’t the first time news of a Take-Two acquisition has popped up over the years. The most famous of the lot, or infamous if you will, was when EA made a bid to take over the company in 2008.

The company CEO at the time, John Riccitiello, doggedly pushed to buy out the company with a cash bid of $26 per share, or around $2 billion. The offer was rejected by Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick.
    https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/13/son...-buyout-rumor/

Remember when EA tried in 2008? I wonder why Sony thinks this time would be any different. A Sony Take-Two buyout would be like the Disney-Fox acquisition of video games.

2. Post
    Holy shit if it goes through - even in the article it says Sony doesn't have the cash to pony up the buy.

But the mouth can only water so much at the even more ridiculous list of exclusives Sony would have with Take-Two (Grand Theft Auto 6, Red Dead Redemption 3, Bully 2 etc all PS5 exclusives)

3. Post
    At this point it would feel like overkill. Sony has all the exclusives already.

I would be very happy if Sony were able to reign in Rockstar's microtransaction BS though. GTA and Red Dead Online are so far short of the games they could be.

4. Post
    Only the most numb-brained fanboy would be excited by this prospect.

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Holy shit if it goes through - even in the article it says Sony doesn't have the cash to pony up the buy.

But the mouth can only water so much at the even more ridiculous list of exclusives Sony would have with Take-Two (Grand Theft Auto 6, Red Dead Redemption 3, Bully 2 etc all PS5 exclusives)
    Or they make cash from selling them on all systems *shrug*

6. Post
    jords wrote:
    Or they make cash from selling them on all systems *shrug*
    Sony's strategy of selling consoles and exclusives seems to have worked well this generation, raking in record profits so don't see why they'd deviate, any studios they acquire will be making exclusives or Sony+PC games

7. Post
    This would be huge were it to go through.

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Sony's strategy of selling consoles and exclusives seems to have worked well this generation, raking in record profits so don't see why they'd deviate, any studios they acquire will be making exclusives or Sony+PC games
    Because GTA and RDR are not just "any titles"

9. Post
    I hate exclusivity as it is.

10. Post
    Didnt think Sony could afford this. Isn't their gaming division the only really profitable division they have? RIP Xbox if it goes through lol.

11. Post
    XBOX is going RIP anyway, MS clearly wants to get out of making consoles - what they'd really like is to acquire studios, make games and sell those games to you as a streaming, subscription service that runs on any device including your 5g mobile phone and tablet

12. Post
    Sony will do this so they can finally get agent released

13. Post
    Stuff that, spend the money on a game like The Getaway and try outdo GTA by throwing money at that IP instead of the massive costs of an already top tier established developer and IPs.

14. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    XBOX is going RIP anyway, MS clearly wants to get out of making consoles -
    Meanwhile they are on the verge of releasing new consoles with more in the pipeline

15. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    Stuff that, spend the money on a game like The Getaway and try outdo GTA by throwing money at that IP instead of the massive costs of an already top tier established developer and IPs.
    This

16. Post
    I mean, for Sony? It'd be an amazing get.

For the gamers? It would ****ing suck. You can say goodbye to multi-platform games, no more GTA on xbox/pc, etc.

I love my ps4 and it has a lot of great exclusive games, but unlike MS Sony keeps their games solely on their systems, no pc ports, etc, at least for the reall big ones. They want people to have to buy a playstation to play those games.

I could also see Take two really not wanting this. I mean can you imagine trying to explain to shareholders that you sell to Sony and then you'll only be releasing the games on one system and not getting that sweet online revenue from pc/xbox sales? I don't think they'd be happy about that.

17. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    I mean can you imagine trying to explain to shareholders that you sell to Sony and then you'll only be releasing the games on one system and not getting that sweet online revenue from pc/xbox sales? I don't think they'd be happy about that.
    I'd assume Sony's rumoured offer is a buyout and not an investment. As in there will be no shareholders because they would have to sell all their shares to Sony (at a priced much higher than the current market price) and then Sony would delist Take-Two from the stock exchange

IIRC, this usually requires 51% shareholders approval - they would take a vote among themselves and if the majority are for it, then everyone has to sell their shares to the buyer, but the price is always much higher than the current price so everyone makes bank\

Take-Two's current market cap is just under $11bln, Sony has about $5bln in cash excluding it's financial services, but has over $20bln in cash if you include it's financial services
    Last edited by SirGrim; 14th March 2019 at 6:08 pm.

18. Post
    Yeah, that makes more sense.

19. Post
    I don't see it happening. Take Two make too much money selling virtual currency for GTA and NBA 2K to want to abandon a whole bunch of platforms.

20. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I don't see it happening. Take Two make too much money selling virtual currency for GTA and NBA 2K to want to abandon a whole bunch of platforms.
    It also doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense for Sony either

1) Sony has no shortage of amazing exclusives as is
    2) Sony has no issue moving consoles as is

and

3) Take-Two's market value is based on it's current operations. By buying them out, then removing all PC and XBOX revenue means that straight away you've lost a shitload of money because you just way overpaid as the money you paid no longer has any hope of matching revenues.

It really only works if you need exclusives and/or have trouble selling your hardware

Take-Two would actually make more sense for Microsoft to buy than Sony

21. Post
    Is this Sony or Sony PlayStation they are 2 very different companies. Can't see it happening

22. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Is this Sony or Sony PlayStation they are 2 very different companies. Can't see it happening
    Everything is under sony they just have different names for different parts of the business but everything is still under sony from my understanding. Playstation is actually under sony interactive entertainment and then sony pictures does all the movie stuff but they are just subsidiaries everything actually still all goes back to sony.

The main value of this would be getting all the studios take two own but with current market value that seems like a pretty big premium unless sony really do want to make things like GTA exclusive to their console only.