Christchurch terror attack

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Tucker Carlson from Fox also ran his name and image today. Multiple right wing commentators like Ben Shapiro were urging people not to.
    She's referring to the insulation guy

2. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Kinda stating the obvious here but Twitter, Facebook and Youtube have the facility to receive complaints/reports and act on objectionable content, where the ‘bad’ sites are designed to host that content.
    Yeah but Facebook, Twitter and Youtube are all extremely resistent to actually policing their sites. I actively stay away from alt-right shit on youtube but I'm still constantly recommended shit from the likes of Ben Shapiro or Steven Crowder or Lauren Southern probably because I fit their Google has determined that I fit the demographic of people who watch their videos.

3. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    She's referring to the insulation guy
    Oh, my bad.

4. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    You do know that FB, YouTube and Twitter were actively taking down the vids right? It’s a pretty clear difference in why they are not blocked while the chans are.
    yes they were attempting to take the stuff down but the stuff was still available on those websites - if you are going to block access to a material it either needs to be all or nothing

i bet you no one even tried asking the chans to take the stuff down (not that they would have anyway)

and let's be honest - the real reason the social media sites are untouchable is cause of the political backlash that would occur if the sites most peoples lives revolve around were blocked by the government

in any case the hate from all sides won't be leaving the internet no matter how hard it's censored

edit:
    Mutton wrote:
    Kinda stating the obvious here but Twitter, Facebook and Youtube have the facility to receive complaints/reports and act on objectionable content, where the ‘bad’ sites are designed to host that content.
    The chans will have that same facility but likely only apply to stuff that is actually illegal for whatever country's laws they fall under (copyright, child pron etc)

5. Post
    That’s not my experience. I have no problem with gore and shock sites being blocked at all, I fully support it.

6. Post
    For what it's worth both 4chan and 8chan removed/closed the two main threads (one allegedly started by the shooter)

Hasn't stopped the bandwagoning, mind you

7. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    That’s not my experience. I have no problem with gore and shock sites being blocked at all, I fully support it.
    If you've ever been to the bestgore website.. the comments are horrendous. I can't believe people crack jokes and make vile comments and the like.

My first thought is to ban them, but I'm not sure if there's some other ramifications that come along with that. But those kind of websites have no benefit for the general public.

8. Post
    So they've confirmed single shooter at both locations - no word on the other two arrests yet.

9. Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12213303

I'll bet you *any* amount of money the kid's defence will amount to "It was just a joke" and he was "only meme-ing"

But racist jokes are still racist, and ironic bigotry is still bigotry.

10. Post
    r/watchpeopledie has been banned from Reddit. First it was a quarantine, now a ban has gone into effect.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/15/1...e-christchurch

11. Post
    Good

12. Post
    it's still so ****ing surreal, surprised to see people out and about here in Chch today

13. Post
    It sounds like they only banned the thread because of the NZ shooting, but why is something called watchpeopledie a thing in the first place?

14. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    It sounds like they only banned the thread because of the NZ shooting, but why is something called watchpeopledie a thing in the first place?
    Gore sites have been around forever on the internet, ogrish, rotten, bestgore etc so it's no surprise that there would be subreddits dedicated to the same material.

15. Post
    Wonder where he was heading to, on google maps there is another Islamic center to the NE, I wonder if he was circling around to the Islamic center near bishopdale with the bombs?

16. Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the other two in custody?

17. Post
    shadowguy wrote:
    Does anyone know what happened to the other two in custody?
    Nothing yet, no charges laid at this time

18. Post
    HibikiAmawa wrote:
    it's still so ****ing surreal, surprised to see people out and about here in Chch today
    Shopping today felt deeply ****ed up.

19. Post
    F*** me one of the boys shot is the same age as my eldest and looks similar

20. Post
    Dr. Spiral wrote:
    The fact the police caught these guys alive is either good policing or these terrorists/offenders weren't ever inclined to be the suicidal types.
    Definitely. Those cops will get, and thoroughly deserve medals.

The fact that Maggot McMaggotface will live to face justice is strangely comforting.

Pxndx wrote:
    They should send him off to an Islamic state prison to live the rest of his years.
    Stump grinder to the hands & feet and leave him in a (paid) Muslim-run aftercare facility.

one_red_god wrote:
    Whats on 4chan you'd really miss?
    I don't like that people are sharing the video, and agree that it's not the right thing to do. But I also think that prolonged censorship of those sites is a restaurant-sized can of worms. If you want to get started there's net neutrality, freedom of speech/association, and it inhibits our ability to confront extremist ideologies.

Also /diy/ and /ck/ aren't exactly hotbeds of racial hatred.

SheepShagger556 wrote:
    You're not much of anything, clearly.
    Vulcan is an industry pro and knows his shit. But really, why download an 8mb app when you can just change a network setting?

Bobs wrote:
    Wonder if he will be sent to Australia to serve his lifetime sentence or will NZ taxpayers need to pay for this shithead.
    A very interesting question given the treatment of NZ citizen-criminals in Australia.

Vulcan wrote:
    Technically the ISP could sniff and modify the DNS. But it would require layer 7 inspection and that would require overhead and $$$$ and configuration. The easier thing would be for ISPs to force you to use their DNS exclusively. The point is irrelevant as it appears the only 'censorship' NZ ISPs have done is limited to their own DNS services.
    Do you expect the current ISP-level censorship to continue indefinitely.

21. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Do you expect the current ISP-level censorship to continue indefinitely.
    tbh I think the ISPs need to tread lightly and ensure they don't do this any longer than needed.

22. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Wonder if he will be sent to Australia to serve his lifetime sentence or will NZ taxpayers need to pay for this shithead.
    Since the shitbag has been labeled a terrorist Australia should pay.

23. Post
    Does NZ do prisoner exchanges with Aus?

24. Post
    Normally deportation occurs at the end of custodial sentences

25. Post
    kierbear wrote:
    Can we stop blaming this on mental illness? Racism is not mental illness, and the mentally ill are more likely to be the victims of violence than perpetrators. This man committed to a hateful ideology that at it's core, is violence. He wasn't mentally ill.

In other news, here's Phil Arps of Christchurch, owner of Beneficial Insulation. His logo is the Schwarze Sonne, the same neo-nazi symbol used by the terrorist yesterday. His pricing structure? A mere $14.88 per meter.

https://yellow.co.nz/y/beneficial-in...stalls-linwood

Dude *publicly* runs his business as a nazi and Dalziel somehow doesn't know Christchurch is a very racist city.
    People in here were labeling those that watched the livestream as mentally ill which just like calling that guy mentally ill is complete ignorance. Just an all round nasty experience reading this thread but luckily it's not like this anywhere else.

Also I could've sworn the police were telling people to stay inside today and yet it is PACKED with people. The mall especially and it's just like....what? I guess it's good people are over it quickly? not sure what's going on or why you'd even want to leave purely for the traffic delays alone. Oh and before someone has a go at me for leaving the house, I had to pick up medication that I couldn't yesterday.