Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Yeah I hate when I have to agree wihh Zarkov but in a resource limited system it's all about the utilitarianism

2. Post
    There's pretty much no limit to what you could spend on health care if cost wasn't issue.

Plus you run into issues about quality of life etc.

3. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    statistics show we have a higher mortality rate than most other first world countries
    Can you post the information that shows this is a DIRECT result of the health system not working? Should be easy since it's so widely known.

Rather than our population being of very different make up to all other countries. Unless you think cancer is equally likely to affect every single person in the world. Regardless of their diet and life choices or if they live under an ozone hole.

I see a doctor for a once over every year. How many people don't see a doctor until they are bent over in pain, at which point it's sometimes too late. Too many.

4. Post
    Fair enough - guess I got schooled about the health insurance Thanks for all the advice guys and nice to hear good feedback about the NZ public health system.

5. Post
    Ive been with Accuro for years and have made a few claims in that time, never any issues with payouts etc. One thing to note is that once you make a claim and you have a pre-existing condition, you don't want to move providers after that unless you get assurance that they will cover pre existing conditions (most wont)

6. Post
    Create a decentralised community/private health insurance scheme. you need about 100 people each deposit $1000, pay about 10 per week. contract stipulates minimum length/timespan so no one can pull plug too early. basically works as a private not for profit insurance club. you get the pro of not engaging in -EV insurance schemes, yet the variance of your health is covered. funds also earn interest.

members can pull out and get their equity back on the current balance (ie 1% in a club of 100 members)
    clubs can choose members of same health status/demographics so each member has roughly same chance to get sick

what is and isnt covered is decided by the club, stipulated in the contract

7. Post
    BattleCrap wrote:
    Create a decentralised community/private health insurance scheme. you need about 100 people each deposit $1000, pay about 10 per week. contract stipulates minimum length/timespan so no one can pull plug too early. basically works as a private not for profit insurance club. you get the pro of not engaging in -EV insurance schemes, yet the variance of your health is covered. funds also earn interest.

members can pull out and get their equity back on the current balance (ie 1% in a club of 100 members)
    clubs can choose members of same health status/demographics so each member has roughly same chance to get sick

what is and isnt covered is decided by the club, stipulated in the contract
    What happens when the second person needs a surgery worth $100,000?

8. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    What happens when the second person needs a surgery worth $100,000?
    Scheme not active until full membership

9. Post
    BattleCrap wrote:
    Scheme not active until full membership
    yeah, nah you have only raised a little over $100,000 in premiums but paid out $200,000 + administration costs, so where does the extra $100,000 come from?

Have a look at the likes of Southern Cross, who are actually a not for profit, they are what you describe, but actually know the risk/costs involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe..._(New_Zealand)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southe..._(New_Zealand)

10. Post
    It was a cool idea at the time!

I didn't know they were a not for profit