How do you stop the online rise of online fascism and extremism?

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    Notice how every online discussion place that has no moderation is full of idiots?

2. Post
    DW wrote:
    What exactly is KiwiFarms? I've never heard of it and without knowing what it is I don't really want to delve into it to find out.
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/...-stalkers.html
    https://medium.com/s/darkish-web/hun...m-7b721d3bd199

3. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    it is an odd thing the internet. You would reason that a wide ranging platform capable of disseminating and spreading knowledge, ideas and information would promote the shared values and a sense of international community.

40 years after Hello World is shown to all , we are now beginning a purge and deplatform of any view we disagree with and a general move towards censorship and authoritarianism of a narrow band of ideas and voices. The internet has somehow hardened and hastened the formation of tribalism and intersectionality of various identities and individual bias.

i personally think it is simply a instinctual need in humans falling back to instinctual codependent family or communal structures over peers due to a perceived scarcity of resources and reproductive access.
    The thing is that when people say it's censoring 'views we disagree with' it makes it sound like it's a differing opinion on the best tasting cake and not things that promote racism and hostility.

But yeah it's ****ed up. Censor things, don't censor things, either way it's all leading to the same result.

s0cks wrote:
    I honestly, don't know what one does. It's all just a shit storm. I like that the internet has made it much harder for bad faith actors to act in secret, but at the same time it's created this tool, social media, that has dumbed people down to the point that bad faith actors can just be brazen about it and their supporters don't care.

It's a real f**kin' mess.

I just feel like not caring any more. There is no longer a hopeful, or bright future, there is just this darkness ahead.
    Yeah and this is only the beginning.

4. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    The thing is that when people say it's censoring 'views we disagree with' it makes it sound like it's a differing opinion on the best tasting cake and not things that promote racism and hostility.

But yeah it's ****ed up. Censor things, don't censor things, either way it's all leading to the same result.
    yeah the thing is, for some in this case Recode CEO , there is no nuance in discussions, it is either you are fully with them or you are Hitler

"On Monday, tech website Recode published an interview conducted by YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki with Recode’s co-founder Kara Swisher, who bemoaned that her 13-year-old son had started watching Ben Shapiro videos, claimed watching the videos was a “gateway drug” to eventually watching Neo-Nazi videos, and said she would remove Shapiro’s video’s from YouTube if she could. That prompted Shapiro to fire back on Twitter, “It seems rather illiberal of you to ask YouTube to ban my videos.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/44610...eos-daily-wire

there is no discussion allowed for many on both sides, either you are a Commie wanting to take all your freedoms away or you are a Hitler. If you are a moderate , if you are not 100% with 1 side or the other, you become beyond pale to them lol.

5. Post
    Bloody hell.. I thought it may have just been a forum for farmers in NZ and perhaps they were opposed to gun law changes or something along those lines (although the confusion was because I had no idea why that would align with 4chan/8chan etc.).

6. Post
    Yeah I guess it's sort of if Encyclopaedia dramatica and 4chan had a asshole baby

I also got confused by the kiwi farms moniker, must be getting old bro

7. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    yeah the thing is, for some in this case Recode CEO , there is no nuance in discussions, it is either you are fully with them or you are Hitler

"On Monday, tech website Recode published an interview conducted by YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki with Recode’s co-founder Kara Swisher, who bemoaned that her 13-year-old son had started watching Ben Shapiro videos, claimed watching the videos was a “gateway drug” to eventually watching Neo-Nazi videos, and said she would remove Shapiro’s video’s from YouTube if she could. That prompted Shapiro to fire back on Twitter, “It seems rather illiberal of you to ask YouTube to ban my videos.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/44610...eos-daily-wire

there is no discussion allowed for many on both sides, either you are a Commie wanting to take all your freedoms away or you are a Hitler. If you are a moderate , if you are not 100% with 1 side or the other, you become beyond pale to them lol.
    Popular right wingers seem to be getting censored all over the place which I'm fine with. I just don't see any value they bring with their 'discussion'. And yeah censoring is bad but it was bound to happen eventually may as well start with the bad stuff I guess?

Never heard of KiwiFarms but with a title of 'the web's biggest community of stalkers' i'm not sure I want to go any further. Also why aren't they censored yet lol

8. Post
    you are fine with it now but you must understand there is no limit to the regressive left. Just think of those 2 buzzfeed contributors confronting Chelsea Clinton and accusing her of being responsible for the Christchurch attacks. The finger snaps will make you lol. Yeah there is no limit to what they deem bad stuff. They eventually eat their own and censor everything and anything. Remember what they said, they actually dont understand that Chelsea does not " feel" the right thing.

9. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    you are fine with it now but you must understand there is no limit to the regressive left. Just think of those 2 buzzfeed contributors confronting Chelsea Clinton and accusing her of being responsible for the Christchurch attacks. The finger snaps will make you lol. Yeah there is no limit to what they deem bad stuff. They eventually eat their own and censor everything and anything. Remember what they said, they actually dont understand that Chelsea does not " feel" the right thing.
    Pretending that only the other side has fringe lunatics is stupid.

Pretending that the fringe lunatics represent half the political spectrum is stupid.

But then you are literally Alex Jones, as is everybody else with views that are even a little bit right of centre.

10. Post
    Pretending i actually said both sides is typical of your reading comprehension

Pretending i did not point out both sides is a your typical snide attack

But then i am Hitler to you so its par for the course with you.

11. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Pretending i actually said both sides is typical of your reading comprehension

Pretending i did not point out both sides is a your typical snide attack

But then i am Hitler to you so its par for the course with you.
    No, you're definitely Alex Jones. Hitler was actually a pretty effective communicator.

12. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Yeah I know it'll be abused. But Shapiro hasn't _actually_ been blocked from anything right? I don't know the Chelsea Clinton thing you mentioned, I'll watch/read if you have a link?

13. Post
    this is from the independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8826041.html

this is from the 2 buzzfeed contributors who confronted her

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...helsea-clinton

14. Post
    Banning sites like 4chan will simply lead to other such sites (unblocked) springing up in their place and getting better at evading such bans.

This means a never ending game of whack-a-mole.

You can't fight an ideology in such a way and expect to win, you can only fool the masses into thinking you're doing something about it.

IMO the best way to fight this stuff is to take the fight to them. Go there, point out the gaping flaws in their "logic". Reclaim the symbols they have claimed as their own. Poison their well.

15. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    this is from the independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8826041.html

this is from the 2 buzzfeed contributors who confronted her

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...helsea-clinton
    honestly did you even read the buzzfeed article entirely?

16. Post
    I did , it seemed odd that you would confront Clinton for racism when her tweet is so corporate bland about everyone taking a stance against racism , in this case Anti Semitism. It is almost a copy pasta of anti X you could use as a corporate entity.

17. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Yes, only the "regressive left" is a problem. The far right has no history of, I don't know, burning books, and then the people who wrote those books. That's never happened. ONLY THE LEFT IS BAD.

18. Post
    kierbear wrote:
    Yes, only the "regressive left" is a problem. The far right has no history of, I don't know, burning books, and then the people who wrote those books. That's never happened. ONLY THE LEFT IS BAD.
    Calm down, i actually said both sides did that, the quote you picked was just the example when someone mentioned it is ok if your censor popular alt right. The point is, main stream media is very much on the leftist leaning at the moment. And the censorship is the start of the slippery slope , once you start , it is a difficult to stop.

19. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Banning sites like 4chan will simply lead to other such sites (unblocked) springing up in their place and getting better at evading such bans.

You can't fight an ideology in such a way and expect to win, you can only fool the masses into thinking you're doing something about it.

IMO the best way to fight this stuff is to take the fight to them. Go there, point out the gaping flaws in their "logic". Reclaim the symbols they have claimed as their own. Poison their well.
    If you wanted to be more effective you could organize a group of trusted individuals who understand internet culture, go in basically don't be a dick but use memes and similar speech to convince them of an alternative point of view.

20. Post
    The increasing distaste for mainstream media is also responsible for people heading online to get their news. This probably isn't as prevalent in NZ though. It's also the classic echo chamber dichotomy at play

https://quillette.com/2019/03/12/joe...te-of-our-era/
    https://quillette.com/2019/03/10/mor...ature-of-evil/

21. Post
    Society is no longer what it once was, the rise of polarized everything and identity politics has seen the end to civil and reasonable debate. Such the word is now full of authoritative views on everything. I Dont think we can actually go back until we learn to listen and engage . until then we have to just make do with people screaming snow flake at us until hey are blue in the face.

22. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:

agree on many points here, but i feel that once you start to strangle peoples views they take them more underground.

23. Post
    Omegakai wrote:
    Society is no longer what it once was, the rise of polarized everything and identity politics has seen the end to civil and reasonable debate.
    What time period do you think was 'civil and reasonable debate'? All the internet has done is expose things for what they are.

People have died trying to create an equal world. It's been a constant up hill battle and we'll never see it in our life time.

24. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    What time period do you think was 'civil and reasonable debate'? All the internet has done is expose things for what they are.

People have died trying to create an equal world. It's been a constant up hill battle and we'll never see it in our life time.
    I would say it stopped being "as" civil around the birth of Myspace, and disappeared almost entirely by the mass uptake of Facebook. but in truth i dont have a great answer for you.

25. Post
    CODChimera wrote:

This is only my gut feeling, but I feel like the internet, or social media to be more exact, empowers bad ideas. It used to be that if you had stupid ideas you really could only spread them to people you knew, and hopefully the people you knew would probably set you straight, or at least tame down your extreme thoughts.

Now you can just jump on a FB group, or Subreddit, or 4chan, or whatever, and be showered with confirmation bias, thus bolstering your position and making you less likely to change your view.

Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    There is just no way that works, not unless you dilute those communities with enough people of sane mind. Otherwise you're just trying to drain a swamp with a tea cup. Seriously, sign up to one of these vile places and try point out the flaws in their logic. They just don't care. It's not logic that drives these people.