Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Google Stadia

https://kotaku.com/google-unveils-ga...dia-1833409933

The tech giant is getting into gaming in a big way with a direct challenge to the giants of console and PC gaming. Itís called Stadia.

Former Sony and Xbox executive Phil Harrison detailed the platform today, saying the platform would link all the ways people play games. The core of it is that itíll be a streaming platform, no console or PC needed.

2. Post
    more details. sounds really cool.

A streaming only, INSTANT Access system with controller.
    Streams up to 4K 60fps HDR, will later add support for 8K 120fps
    Stadia instances are 10.7 Teraflops of GPU power
    Can click Play Now in a STADIA enabled browser and join instantly on sites like YouTube.
    Connects using Chrome as a streaming platform across many devices.
    Single code base enjoyed across desktop, laptop, TV, tablet, and phone.
    Works on existing devices - Chromecast, Chrome browsers, and Chrome browsers.
    Works with existing controllers, not just Google controller
    Cross-platform multiplayer and save files
    Couch co-op and Split-screen using separate instances available
    Low latency platform for "everyone."

3. Post
    Nope, no thanks.

4. Post
    Why the **** do they keep putting the thumbsticks in that position on controllers

5. Post
    I think this is pretty cool. Would like to see how it performs input lag wise.

6. Post
    Those controllers look god awful. Google's design language doesn't translate to industrial/product design without it looking like a Fisher-Price toy.

I'll pass on a streaming game service. I'm sick of subscription based services.

7. Post
    Streaming games while playing online? I hope whoever is using this has enough bandwidth.

8. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    Streaming games while playing online? I hope whoever is using this has enough bandwidth.
    Gigabit fibre ftw.

9. Post
    Will only work in nz if google have a server here or in aus that the games stream from which is always the case with similar game streaming services so nothing really new and because of that unlikely it will ever launch here. The controller directly connecting through wifi to the game streaming server sounds interesting which could help with some of the input delay.

10. Post
    It sounds like the Ouya but with a bigger budget.

11. Post
    esoj wrote:
    Will only work in nz if google have a server here or in aus that the games stream from which is always the case with similar game streaming services so nothing really new and because of that unlikely it will ever launch here. The controller directly connecting through wifi to the game streaming server sounds interesting which could help with some of the input delay.
    Im guessing we will connect to the AUS server as usual.

12. Post
    jords wrote:
    Nope, no thanks.
    this.

also the amount of people not interested on the official twitter post is far higher then i expected it to be.

also highly doubt it will be here anytime soon.
    More
    Hello! To start, we're launching Stadia in the US, Canada, UK, and most of Europe. We'll be rolling Stadia out to other countries and territories as soon as we can.
    https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/sta...23800820830208

i'll stick to my pc and consoles for gaming thanks. this Games as a Services model turned up to the extreme doesn't interest me in the slightest.

13. Post
    lets look at the hardware tho. If google can put out 10 tflops in 2019 what does that mean for ps5 in 20 months from now. Id be surprised if we dont actually see 10-15 tflops in the ps5.

14. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    lets look at the hardware tho. If google can put out 10 tflops in 2019 what does that mean for ps5 in 20 months from now. Id be surprised if we dont actually see 10-15 tflops in the ps5.
    I agree it will be interesting to see what/if it pushes Sony/MS to do with the next gen. Nintendo i'm pretty sure won't care and will just keep doing what they do.

15. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    That power isn't coming from a console though. The Stadia is just a streaming device.

In regards to latency, I can't even stream from my PC to my TV via steam to a level I'd be happy with it as my primary gaming machine, so have little faith in this being a replacement for anything.

16. Post
    assuming this is hosted in an Australia data centre, there will definitely be *some* latency.

17. Post
    zippy wrote:
    assuming this is hosted in an Australia data centre, there will definitely be *some* latency.
    Most Australians won't even be able to use it, if any of my CS:GO matches anything to go by. They can't even hold a stable connection for a single CS game since the net is so shit over there.

18. Post
    Hell to the no when it comes to streaming.

19. Post
    Saw a video of Playstation Now on YT today being played on PC.

The lag was horrific.

20. Post
    What a time to be alive. Hate to think what'll be the norm in 10 years time.

21. Post
    Streaming kills modding and fan patching. Streaming kills games archiving/preservation. F*ck streaming,

22. Post
    It seems the industry would love streaming to be a thing.

Just like VR, It's still not a thing.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

23. Post
    Nice idea but probably won't work well outside of major international cities. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not even sold in NZ.

24. Post
    This has a long way to go before it becomes mainstream, if it ever does.

Still haven't got a VR headset yet, waiting for the tech to get better.

25. Post
    Given Googles track record of opening and closing things, it'll probably last 6-12 months then close