Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last
Results 1 to 25 of 161

  1. Post
    #1

    Website Censorship

    So I have noticed that a few sites are now being blocked here in NZ and I find it pretty alarming. It's one thing to ban guns, its another to try and ban the sharing and accessing of information, ideas and memes.

    What are peoples thoughts on this? (this ain't a question about guns only blocking websites)

    So far the ones I have found are:

    4chan
    8chan
    kiwifarms
    ar15.com
    funnyjunk,com
    liveleak.com
    encyclopediadramatica.rs
    Last edited by Th3WhiteKnight; 24th March 2019 at 6:36 pm.

  2. Post
    #2
    Private organisations opting to ban websites, it's not government censorship - change ISP's if you have a problem with it.

  3. Post
    #3
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    Private organisations opting to ban websites, it's not government censorship - change ISP's if you have a problem with it.
    Unfortunately I did change isp about 3 days ago. Why is funnyjunk blocked?

  4. Post
    #4
    Probably hosted the video or something idk

  5. Post
    #5
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    Probably hosted the video or something idk
    Highly unlikely that website would host the video.

  6. Post
    #6
    Changing your DNS server will get around the filtering

  7. Post
    #7
    Chunky wrote:
    Changing your DNS server will get around the filtering
    Yes, I use a vpn though, thats how I know they are being blocked and are not down.

  8. Post
    #8
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:

    What are peoples thoughts on this? (this ain't a question about guns only blocking websites)
    It's not a good idea and it'll come back around to really hurt us one day.

  9. Post
    #9
    CODChimera wrote:
    It's not a good idea and it'll come back around to really hurt us one day.
    That's my thoughts too.

  10. Post
    #10
    Can't believe that they're depriving me of my KF content. Whatever will I do with my life now...

    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kiwi_Farms

    Critics of Kiwi Farms point out "lolcows" who end up on the website are digitally stalked, harassed (by having rumours and smears posted about them) and doxed (including full names, birthdays, workplaces, personal social media accounts, and even street addresses and phone numbers). At least one person has committed suicide through hanging after being featured on Kiwi Farms.[4] Perhaps unsurprisingly, several of the site's users proceeded to mock said person.[4][5][6][7]

    Kiwi Farms was originally dedicated to monitoring the online activities of an autistic person named Christine Weston Chandler (formerly known as Christian Weston Chandler), more commonly known as "Chris-Chan", who is notorious across the web for her bizarre crossover fanfiction between video game characters Sonic the HedgehogWikipedia's W.svg and Pikachu, called "Sonichu".[8]

    Many "lolcows" on the forum have (or in most cases, are simply accused of having) autism, and Kiwi Farms derogatorily labels these people "spergs" (after Asperger's syndrome), while transgender "lolcows" are described as the perojative "troons".[9] On its now-banned Twitter account, Kiwi Farms described its purpose as: "Gossip and exploitation of the mentally handicapped for amusement purposes."[10] For this reason, and the fact there is content that is offensive to the disabled on the forum, Kiwi Farms is considered by some to be a hate speech website. Furthermore, the sign-up page for the site comes with a disclaimer saying "autistics will be laughed at. Trannies will be misgendered. People will try to find where you live."[11] So therefore, the community generally behaves like assholes.

    Kiwi Farms' harassment goes beyond gender and neurological minorities. The site's members will target people with medical blogs (primarily women) by accusing them of exaggerating or even faking their illnesses. They target beauty gurus, artists, and cosplayers, and they regularly engage in fat shaming and looks discrimination.

    Posters tend to lean right politically (many of which are far-right, and some are involved with 4chan and Encyclopędia Dramatica. They also tend to be white males in their 20's and 30's. Despite the site's rampant transphobia, a sizable minority of its users are trans people who love to point out how any trans person they don't like isn't really trans. On the other end of the spectrum, the site is also popular with TERFs as a means of receiving the personal information of their targets.

    According to Alexa, Kiwi Farms receives over 1 million monthly sessions.[12]

    Kiwi Farms was temporarily shut down on January 24th, 2017 due to the owner's family getting harassed.[6] However, it has been reopened under the same management.

  11. Post
    #11
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    Can't believe that they're depriving me of my KF content. Whatever will I do with my life now...

    https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kiwi_Farms
    Add encyclopediadramatica.rs to the list of blocked websites.

  12. Post
    #12
    Th3WhiteKnight wrote:
    Add encyclopediadramatica.rs to the list of blocked websites.
    has content from the video being hosted on there

  13. Post
    #13
    I don't care.

  14. Post
    #14
    ClavulanateV2 wrote:
    has content from the video being hosted on there
    Was not aware of that, just saw it mentioned in the previous post.

  15. Post
    #15
    The reasons why its a waste of time.

    1. the video and manifesto is on other sites that are not blocked, attempting to censor the internet is pointless and not possible.
    2. anyone seeking the video and manifesto will simply use a VPN etc to get around the blocks.
    3. It is an inconvenience to other innocent people with limited technical skills wanting to view other content on the blocked sites.

    IN conclusion the website blocks have been put in place by certain people who are thinking with their "emotions" instead of with "logic" and common sense.These people who have decided that these sites should be blocked are the very ones who are finding it hard to cope with the recent events in NZ, In fact they are some of the people who probably needs counseling. because any one with half a brain can see the blocks are totally pointless. and the decision is based on emotions.

  16. Post
    #16
    I care only in the sense that I feel ISP's should not have the right to block any websites whatsoever. It's absolutely a slippery slope.

  17. Post
    #17
    Bloodline wrote:
    I don't care.
    Pretty much. Nothing of value has been lost.

    I agree that it's a slippery slope, and that eventually my ISP is going to block something I do care about. But having seen the evil sh*t that comes out of some of those websites over the years, I'm willing to sacrifice some freedom so that other "normies" don't stumble on them by accident.

  18. Post
    #18
    OP who is your ISP?
    Without doing an exhaustive search through your posted list, only 1 of the 3 I searched for wont let me access it. It was 4chan. Ar15 and liveleak worked fine for me. I have no VPN

  19. Post
    #19
    InvisibleShadow wrote:
    Pretty much. Nothing of value has been lost.

    I agree that it's a slippery slope, and that eventually my ISP is going to block something I do care about. But having seen the evil sh*t that comes out of some of those websites over the years, I'm willing to sacrifice some freedom so that other "normies" don't stumble on them by accident.
    Out of the list so far, a lot do have a fair bit of shit posting. However ar15.com generally does not, I am still trying to think of a genuine reason to block that one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    swazi wrote:
    OP who is your ISP?
    Without doing an exhaustive search through your posted list, only 1 of the 3 I searched for wont let me access it. It was 4chan. Ar15 and liveleak worked fine for me. I have no VPN
    2Degrees.

  20. Post
    #20
    It's a bad thing however I see it as a kneejerk reaction that will be reversed once they come to their senses. They would have just panicked and did the one thing they could do.

    I can understand why it was done, the police would have been like, "Can you do this" and they would have gone, "Shit, yes, we'll get right on it."

    Over time they'll think, "We don't really want to manage this and shouldn't really have done so." And remove the blocks.

  21. Post
    #21
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    The reasons why its a waste of time.

    1. the video and manifesto is on other sites that are not blocked, attempting to censor the internet is pointless and not possible.
    2. anyone seeking the video and manifesto will simply use a VPN etc to get around the blocks.
    3. It is an inconvenience to other innocent people with limited technical skills wanting to view other content on the blocked sites.

    IN conclusion the website blocks have been put in place by certain people who are thinking with their "emotions" instead of with "logic" and common sense.These people who have decided that these sites should be blocked are the very ones who are finding it hard to cope with the recent events in NZ, In fact they are some of the people who probably needs counseling. because any one with half a brain can see the blocks are totally pointless. and the decision is based on emotions.
    Unironically agreeing with you. I'd add a 4th reason in that censoring content just creates more sensation and helps validate it as well. Now that it's removed you gotta think well why was it censored? It must be dangerous instead of just being discarded and ignored as the ramblings of a lunatic.

    The fact that it's ISPs and not directly the Government doing it is irrelevant imo because it's still a powerful entity controlling information. Look at Facebook and all the shit they get up to, wait until outside factions start(increase?) their meddling in our affairs.

    tldr: we're ****ed

    swazi wrote:
    OP who is your ISP?
    Without doing an exhaustive search through your posted list, only 1 of the 3 I searched for wont let me access it. It was 4chan. Ar15 and liveleak worked fine for me. I have no VPN
    Not op but on Spark and Liveleak is working for me now but it was 100% blocked earlier on.

  22. Post
    #22
    Although if there's actual provable crimes being committed on the websites then I would accept some censorship. Like child porn sites.

  23. Post
    #23
    If ISPs can block this stuff so quickly, why can’t they step up and block thieves like Viagogo? The ISP companies kept saying they can’t, and then this issue pops up and they’re all over blocking stuff.

  24. Post
    #24
    suntoucher wrote:
    Although if there's actual provable crimes being committed on the websites then I would accept some censorship. Like child porn sites.
    100% agree

    gneiss wrote:
    If ISPs can block this stuff so quickly, why can’t they step up and block thieves like Viagogo? The ISP companies kept saying they can’t, and then this issue pops up and they’re all over blocking stuff.
    That raises a really valid point.

  25. Post
    #25
    I don't like the idea of someone else (be it govt or private companies) deciding what is appropriate and what is not when it comes to things like information. Be it horrid information that I'd never look at, it still shouldn't be someone else's decision to make for me.