1. Post

USB-C vs AC adapter charging

Hi all,

My HP branded laptop AC adapter charger is dead.

The laptop I has the ability to be charged via USB-C port.

Charging laptop via USB-C is faster than stock standard AC Adapter?

When it comes to price wise a USB-C adapter with wire is 30% more than the AC adapter charger.

What is the benefits charging with the USB-C rather than the normal AC charging method?

2. Post
    I'd assume the only tangible benefit to be the fact that usb-c chargers are fast becoming ubiquitous. Ass to which one is faster your best bet is to compare the rating of the ac charger with the usb-c spec.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3. Post
    I'm looking to buy a USB power adapter for my laptop too. You found a reliable source that isn't silly expensive?

4. Post
    Wattage is the metric you need to compare.

5. Post
    Is the charging different from phones where there are several different quick charge types? As long as they are PD capable then it's just wattage?

6. Post
    USB-C stupidly has several different voltages, but if you're buying a generic laptop charger then in theory it should support all of them. The standard is intended to auto-negotiate the needs of the attached devices and supply accordingly.

USB-C chargers that come with laptops will often only support their voltage and possibly 5V for phones. And of course you can't plug your laptop into a regular USB-A charger with a Type-C cable because it will only supply 5V (unless it's an Atom based tablet which is often 5V based).

They should have only been able to supply different voltages if it was mandatory to supply them all on the standard and not made it compatible with Type-A and B.

Assuming you needn't worry about voltage because you're buying a generic type-C laptop charger (all voltages) then what it can dump in wattage is what it supply and thus should be an apples to apples comparison between it and your old charger.

Quick charge is just a higher voltage/current combo for traditionally 5V devices. Usually up to 24W vs the 2.5W of the USB 2.0 standard. As laptops are usually 20V and can accept up to 20 odd amps or more then "Quick Charge" would be a standard that would take 300W or more, which would be an absolutely massive charger to the point it's unrealistic.

tl;dr assuming the USB-C laptop charger you buy is done properly (accepts all voltages and negotiates), then buy the largest wattage you can for the maximum weight you want to be carrying around and it should be a direct comparison for charge times relative to your current laptop charger.

7. Post
    Some of the HP devices have limitations like won't charge on USB-C unless you have a 30% charge already. Worth double checking on your device.