Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

I think a tradie stole something

I had a pest control guy in yesterday to spray my house. I chucked a bunch of stuff in my wardrobe before he came around, including a brand new Bluetooth speaker. Now I can't find it...

Turned my house upside down looking for it. Can't find it anywhere!

How do I approach the tradie (or his boss) to ask whether he saw it, it if he went into my wardrobe, without straight up saying "Did you guys steal from me?"

As far as I can tell nothing else was taken. Although I could tell that they touched my headphones on my computer desk. But that could've been legit moving the cord out the way.

2. Post
    You could simply inform his employer that its missing and you're trying to figure out who and when took it - make it clear you are not making allegations.

You tell them that you know you put it in there at x time for the tradies visit, and you know it wasn't there y time after the tradies visit.

Ask whether the tradie saw it? Ask whether the tradie moved anything in the wardrobe for pest control reasons. Just say any held would be appreciated.

If you don't like the answers then consider making a complaint or allegation.

If the bluetooth speaker went - I would seriously have a long look around for what else was taken. You may end up needing to make an insurance claim.

And why buy a bluetooth speaker anyway? You could buy a great old 2nd hand receiver and speaker combo with a modern cheap or flash bluetooth receiver and have much better audio - as cheap or as expensive as you want. These bluetooth receivers have made old audio gear really practical and great again.

3. Post
    It was a birthday present for my nephew...

Ok, I'll call the boss tomorrow and ask if the technician on the job went into my wardrobe.

Will also check the house if anything else has been moved or removed.

4. Post
    How's this sound?

Hi (bosses name)

Can you please check with your technician whether he went into the main bedroom wardrobe at (my address) on Monday when spraying?

I put a brand new Bluetooth speaker in there prior to the spraying occurring, and now I can't find it. I see the bed was moved, and would like to know if the speaker was seen and/or moved too?

Regards,
    Haisley

5. Post
    That's probably as good as you'll get.

6. Post
    tradies, when will they learn

7. Post
    Relevant:

Sorry about your speaker, hope it turns up.

8. Post
    Bro, sorry to hear about that.

Yeah I've had a $5000 engagement ring stolen before.

Never even got it back, confronted the boss and they denied everything.

I won't name the ethnicity of the thieves but I can tell you it was a cleaning company up in auckland.

9. Post
    holocaust wrote:
    I won't name the ethnicity of the thieves but I can tell you it was a cleaning company up in auckland.
    My money is on caucasians.

10. Post
    Not going to bring race into this.

11. Post
    Yeah I felt it was a weird comment.

12. Post
    Someone spraying for pests is not a tradie, FWIW. Safer to just DIY everything.

13. Post
    Had a cleaner in our house and shit used to go missing all the time. Nothing major, but bits and pieces of my wifes stock from her online business. Didn't have any proof but turned out my sister in law had cut her for similar suspicious reasons (gee thanks for telling us).

Can't trust anyone these days. Especially people from Gore (she was from there, and I knew it was dubious to hire someone from a known den of cretins)

14. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Ok, sorry for the incorrect labeling.

15. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    What if there was a scenario where you got someone in to spray for tradies.

16. Post
    You're just wondering if he went through your underwear as well.

17. Post
    bring back target i reckon

18. Post
    popopop wrote:
    bring back target i reckon
    Just name drop tv3's Target somewhere with your name when requesting a tradie...

"My name is Julio from TV3 Target I mean 4 Orwell Drive in Freemans Bay...."

Or bill me at

"Tv3 Target... PO Box XXXX"

Like they know when a new season will return...

Probably get a much more competitive rate for the work too....

19. Post
    So got a call from the owner of the pest company. Said this isn't the first time this has happened. He asked his technician and he denied it. But the owner didn't believe him so is going to reimburse me the cost of the speaker

20. Post
    Good result...and sounds like you went about it the right way...well done

21. Post
    The owner must've found the speaker. Because he messaged me back a few minutes ago and asked if it was a JBL speaker. Which it was, but I never mentioned that to him.

He's transferred the money already, which is good.

22. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    The owner must've found the speaker. Because he messaged me back a few minutes ago and asked if it was a JBL speaker. Which it was, but I never mentioned that to him.

He's transferred the money already, which is good.
    name said company?

Guy said it was not the first time after all....

23. Post
    Yeah but it's his employee, not the company itself. Super hard to get rid of a suspected thief without enough proof.

24. Post
    I'm not out to name and shame the business.

I had a good 10 minute chat to the owner. He's gutted that one of his guys has done this. Especially after giving him the benefit of the doubt before.

It's not my place to tell him how to discipline his staff. But from the sounds of it, the guy is gonna get sacked as he can't be trusted.

25. Post
    Stealing off the people who pay your wages is gross misconduct; should be sacked TBH.

Good result.