Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

  1. Post
    #26
    That Sony has been rated on many tech sites as the best of the LCD's from last year. It would be sitting in my living room right now had I not got a mind boggling great deal on an OLED this past Easter sales.

  2. Post
    #27
    GeneralZod wrote:
    That Sony has been rated on many tech sites as the best of the LCD's from last year. It would be sitting in my living room right now had I not got a mind boggling great deal on an OLED this past Easter sales.
    Why not own both \_(ツ)_/

  3. Post
    #28
    do guys reckon these TCL TV's are any good? I'm just after a cheap 4k TV that has most of the main features but not interested in that Veon crap.

    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tcl/tcl-p4u...art-tv/338937/
    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tcl/tcl-p6u...led-tv/338927/

    The C series is obviously better but dont really want to spend over $1000

    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/tcl/tcl-c6u...led-tv/338930/

    Also looking at his Panasonic one:

    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/panasonic/p...led-tv/338709/

    and Sony one:

    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/sony/sony-x...led-tv/338755/

    Obviously the Sony one would be best of the lot but I'm trying to spend as little as possible while still getting something decent. What do you guys think?

  4. Post
    #29
    These are on run out I think:
    https://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-an...t-tv-en-2.html

    Haven't seen one in person, just had it mentioned to me by someone else, so posting it up.

  5. Post
    #30
    Went to buy the x900F from jbhifi yesterday but noticed how thick of a tv it is. My lounge tv is wall mounted with recessed power point and a super slim mount so would of looked pretty odd.

    Anyone know of any TV's around 2k that are slim?

  6. Post
    #31
    I'd put up with a thicker screen for a quality unit. If you're not fussed on quality, just walk a showroom to find the thinnest

  7. Post
    #32
    Fragluton wrote:
    I'd put up with a thicker screen for a quality unit. If you're not fussed on quality, just walk a showroom to find the thinnest
    I am fussed about quality, hence why I was buying the x900f, and not a 50 inch JVC plasma off Facebook marketplace for $60

  8. Post
    #33
    i am waiting for the 65 inch version to come a bit more for the olds.. Parents are old school, there is a mental bit of gymnastics for them, ~2000 is their max regardless.. trying to convince them that an extra couple of hundred is worth the extra screen space but nooo /shrug

  9. Post
    #34
    mike4de wrote:
    I am fussed about quality, hence why I was buying the x900f, and not a 50 inch JVC plasma off Facebook marketplace for $60
    I just figured the extra thickness may have been down to the backlight lighting and that sort of thing. I have thinner tv's than the model you posted, but they won't have the same backlight quality. I also just replaced a ~80mm thick TV in the bedroom with a ~50mm thick one. Neither are x900f level though. I didn't notice the thickness of the 80mm after walking past about 10 times.

  10. Post
    #35
    Fragluton wrote:
    I just figured the extra thickness may have been down to the backlight lighting and that sort of thing. I have thinner tv's than the model you posted, but they won't have the same backlight quality. I also just replaced a ~80mm thick TV in the bedroom with a ~50mm thick one. Neither are x900f level though. I didn't notice the thickness of the 80mm after walking past about 10 times.
    Ah yeah fair enough. Going to head down to JBhifi now and check this out:

    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/sony/sony-a...oid-tv/338767/

    Prefer to buy at Noel leeming though, get defence discount

  11. Post
    #36
    Defo NL will price match if they have it in stock.

    And defo if you can afford an OLED you get the OLED. Your eyeballs will hifive all the day long. And for thinness, no competition.

  12. Post
    #37
    mike4de wrote:
    Ah yeah fair enough. Going to head down to JBhifi now and check this out:

    https://www.jbhifi.co.nz/sony/sony-a...oid-tv/338767/

    Prefer to buy at Noel leeming though, get defence discount
    That OLED was 2.8k when i went to look yesterday - now its almost 4k

  13. Post
    #38
    Phew - its 2.8k direct from sony and JB will match it

  14. Post
    #39
    mike4de wrote:
    Phew - its 2.8k direct from sony and JB will match it
    Nice!

  15. Post
    #40
    Xev wrote:
    As a footnote, the nicest TV's on the market are either OLED sets or QLED sets. OLEDs have the issue of screen burn so may not be ideal in all scenarios, QLEDs don't and even ship with a 10 year burn in warranty. OLEDs have perfect blacks and beautiful contrast, breathtaking watching dark movies in dark rooms. QLEDs are some of the brightest and most vibrant sets on the market with the top of the range model from the 2019 lineup able to hit around 4000nits (for comparison, OLEDs iirc struggle to crack a thousand). If you're looking for something serious, have a look at these sets.
    Just a quick note - you mention 4000 nits - I believe only the 8k Samsung TV does this - which probably only 0.1% or less of people here can afford - for us mere mortals, the other Samsung QLEDs peak around 1400nits.

    The LG C9 is one of, if not the brightest OLED on the market and even that only gets to 850nits. So QLED has the clear advantage in peak brightness.

    However, that is where in my opinion it's advantages end. Having spent a fair bit of time comparing these, watching reviews and spending time in store looking at them - the OLED has an undeniable level of amazement to it. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I still can't help but stare in awe at the perfect blacks and perfect contrast it produces.

    QLED's have come a long way, unfortunately Samsung has been changing it's lineup in recent years and now only it's most expensive 4k model - the Q90R gets what I'd class as proper local dimming. Every else, you will notice very obvious and very visible blooming.

    In my opinion, I don't think the lack of brightness hurts the OLED because the QLED's get so bright and are so focused on brightness over contrast that they wash out the details. I've seen so many example where an object on screen is so bright you can't see any detail apart from the bright light. OLED don't have this issue, you get nice bright HDR/Dolby Vision highlights while maintaining amazing image detail and clarity. On that note - Dolby Vision is far superior to HDR10, I couldn't believe how big the difference would be until I saw it.

    Here is some quick examples to put all of this into perspective. And these aren't just my observations, it's all supported by professional calibrators like Vincent from HDTVTest

    Assassins Creed Odyssey

    Which one do you think looks better?



    The next examples are interesting. The way QLED panels handle Red is very different to OLED's - you will notice that RED and Orange is far more intense on OLEDs. The below example also demonstrate that QLED's value brightness over image quality and clarity.

    Samsung Q90R QLED Left
    LG C9 OLED Right