1. Post

[windows 10] can't format SDXC card

as per title, I have tried using Windows 10 default disk format function, using a command prompt, disabling write protection, Windows Partition manager and SD Association: SD Formatter software and also CCleaner. Formatting the card always goes the same way, takes about 2 hours (it's 200GB) and fails at the 99% mark.

I have run error checking from Windows as well as command prompt and there don't appear to be any errors. The drive is working fine as far as I can tell but I'm having trouble with Spotify recognising it as a place to store offline music, my Xiaomi won't let me delete the cache folder, and Windows won't let me delete it either. I'd rather just format the SD card and start over. Should I just get a file nuke program and just delete the spotify folder?

any help pls?

2. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    as per title, I have tried using Windows 10 default disk format function, using a command prompt, disabling write protection, Windows Partition manager and SD Association: SD Formatter software and also CCleaner. Formatting the card always goes the same way, takes about 2 hours (it's 200GB) and fails at the 99% mark.

I have run error checking from Windows as well as command prompt and there don't appear to be any errors. The drive is working fine as far as I can tell but I'm having trouble with Spotify recognising it as a place to store offline music, my Xiaomi won't let me delete the cache folder, and Windows won't let me delete it either. I'd rather just format the SD card and start over. Should I just get a file nuke program and just delete the spotify folder?

any help pls?
    Does quick format work? Delete the partition instead? Make the new partition slightly smaller than 200gb. Could be corrupted right at the end of sd card.

3. Post
    quick format did not work. I will try the partition option thanks

4. Post
    Minitool partition wizard, if windows default can't get it done.

5. Post
    I tried to delete old partition, create new ones, it seems to complete the processes and then keep reverting back to the old configuration though. I'm going ****ing mad here, I'm just gonna buy a new one they aren't that expensive anymore

6. Post
    If using minitool you need to apply changes.

I had to reinstall Spotify on my phone because it couldn't start, frees up a lot of space getting library on to sd card. Thought it wasn't possible because you can't format SD cards as system drives on phones larger than 32gb....

7. Post
    I did click apply changes, it does the processes, then reverts back to the way it was I haven't even put the card back in the phone yet either

I just tried to FileAssassin the folder and it wouldn't delete. Something ****y is going on here

8. Post
    Try run diskpart clean and wipe the whole drive including partition info.

9. Post
    Are we sure the card isn't stuffed? Have you tried writing files to it and reading them again?

Taking 2 hours to format indicates something is probably wrong...

10. Post
    I just manually deleted each folder and then it all appeared again I think the disk is haunted. Even changing the drive label doesn't stick

11. Post
    Where'd you get the card from? if its an elcheapo one from some chinese website its most likely with a "fake/false" reading

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-D6tYBX8vE&t

12. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I just manually deleted each folder and then it all appeared again I think the disk is haunted. Even changing the drive label doesn't stick
    Yeah its stuffed -you likely can't do anything to change what is currently on the card.

13. Post
    K3n.C. wrote:
    Where'd you get the card from? if its an elcheapo one from some chinese website its most likely with a "fake/false" reading

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-D6tYBX8vE&t
    I'm sure I bought it from a reputable source like PBTech, however it was many moons ago and the receipt is probably gone. It's also a 200GB one which is a weird size. Wasn't cheap either, about 120$ I think

Thanks for the help guys, gonna just buy a new one and admit defeat

14. Post
    When you cannot format SD card in Windows, you might need to take the following factors into consideration:
    Virus infection.
    bad sectors.
    physical damage.
    SD card is read only.
    Since you have tried command prompt to disable write protection attribute, you can ignore the last factors. But the SD card is write protected because of corrupted file system, you need to use a much more powerful disk formatting tool rather than the Windows native formatting methods.

15. Post
    I recommend AOMEI as well, free version doesnt limit you at all in terms of what you need it to do