Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Tax refunds/bills will now be automatic

So I just got this email from IRD

Name:  IRD.PNG
Views: 654
Size:  15.8 KB

No more calculating your own tax before requesting a PTS to avoid paying outstanding tax.

2. Post
    Goodbye scumsucking tax refund companies

3. Post
    purplez wrote:
    Goodbye scumsucking tax refund companies
    Ha, good point! They had a pretty good run though.

4. Post
    Did anyone still use them? I mean they were a thing for about 5 years and then everyone found out how easy it was to do for yourself

5. Post
    I was lazy so I was using Woohoo . Now for a slightly bigger return now that they'll be out of business and won't be taking a cut.

6. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I was lazy so I was using Woohoo . Now for a slightly bigger return now that they'll be out of business and won't be taking a cut.
    ? It was like two mouse clicks.

7. Post
    Unfortunately the opposite is also going to apply -people who have never previously dealt with IRD could find themselves with a tax bill.

But mainly I'm worried about the potential for scammers taking advantage of the confusion...

8. Post
    yep last 4 years or so i've always had to pay extra. not a fan of this but it makes sense.

9. Post
    If its automatic does that mean they're finally collecting imputation credit details themselves?

10. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    If its automatic does that mean they're finally collecting imputation credit details themselves?
    No this only affects PAYE and/or interest earners at this stage -everyone else still has to file a tax return.

11. Post
    What happens with those with the tax return companies? Are they automatically ousted?

12. Post
    Dam - always liked checking, and if I owed not filing. Was great.

13. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    What happens with those with the tax return companies? Are they automatically ousted?
    Pretty much -no great loss...

14. Post
    Honestly thought the email I got from them was spam, good to know it's not.

15. Post
    Equity wrote:
    Dam - always liked checking, and if I owed not filing. Was great.
    This. I remember the GP thread on how to do it yourself and following that.

16. Post
    Bad times for me.

I've owed money the last two years after doing the pre-calculations.

17. Post
    Pay your tax you criminal.

But in all seriousness, how does that work? You sort your own tax or someone else is paying your tax at the wrong rate?

18. Post
    I have always owed them money since I went on to salary.
    I assume it's something to do with holiday pay being paid out at your new rate when you get a pay rise, instead of the old rate it was accrued at. Either that, or our payroll people are useless.....

19. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Pay your tax you criminal.

But in all seriousness, how does that work? You sort your own tax or someone else is paying your tax at the wrong rate?
    I dunno. I have the right tax code. Maybe it's my workplace. Ever since being here tax calculations have come out with me owning around $200 each year.

20. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Nek minnit IRD pays out ****tons of peoples refunds to these tax return companies (since thats the account they'll have on file) and those companies don't bother to pass it on to their clients.

21. Post
    Only time I ended up owing money as strictly a salary/wage earner was because I'd used the "ME" tax code when it turned out my overall income wasn't in the 24-48 range. Just changed it to "M" and the following tax return was fine.

22. Post
    Assuming your tax code is correct then usually it only happens when your income fluctuates between the tax bands:

$14k
    $48k
    $70k

e.g. if one pay you got the weekly equivalent of $69k p.a. and another pay you got the weekly equivalent of $71k p.a. -that could result in you being over or under taxed.

23. Post
    I remember Key saying they wanted PAYE to become a "final" tax. Is that going ahead? Or is it still going to be recalculated yearly?

24. Post
    I donated a fair whack of money to charities this year. Maybe like 4 to 5K. I suppose I need to track down the statements or whatnot and sort getting tax back through the website? I’ve never bothered before because other years I’ve donated less.

25. Post
    J` wrote:
    I donated a fair whack of money to charities this year. Maybe like 4 to 5K. I suppose I need to track down the statements or whatnot and sort getting tax back through the website? I’ve never bothered before because other years I’ve donated less.
    Unfortunately IRD are getting rid of the physical donation rebate form -you now have to log on to myIR and upload your donation receipts in order to claim your refund.