Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Is being an Uber driver a good job?

So I'm being made redundant & will be out of a job by the end of the month & one idea I had was becoming an Uber driver. I've been doing admin/office shit for the last 20 years & want to do something different & the freedom of being my own boss & choosing my own hours is very appealing to me.

Does anyone here have any experience as an Uber driver & can you make a decent living from it? From what I've heard its better as a secondary job if you want to make a bit of extra cash but not so great a primary job due to the unpredictability. I would also need a new car since my current one is 13 yrs old. Once I buy a new car & factor in expenses like gas & wear & tear would it be worth it in the end?

cheers

2. Post
    i doubt it. it's only worth it if you can get that sweet surge pricing but that's not consistent enough to make a living from (IMO)

3. Post
    ^ that and you have no protection because you're not an employee, you're an "independent contractor". Plus uber as a company are shitheels.

4. Post
    Region makes a big difference too. You can probably make decent coin doing 8pm friday -> 6am sat | 8pm sat -> 6am sunday somewhere like auckland/wellington and then do something else for extra during the week?

5. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Region makes a big difference too. You can probably make decent coin doing 8pm friday -> 6am sat | 8pm sat -> 6am sunday somewhere like auckland/wellington and then do something else for extra during the week?
    Yeah Im in Auckland so could probably make a decent amount during those times.

Sorcerer & kierbear bring up some good points too so I'm pretty 50/50 about it now.

6. Post
    Browse some random posts on https://www.reddit.com/r/uberdrivers/ and see how bad they claim it is.

7. Post
    Being an independent contractor is not a big deal provided you put money aside for tax/ bills/quiet patches etc. I've been one for over 4 years.

8. Post

9. Post
    Its not a terrible gig but really its a min wage and sometimes a bit more type job after you factor in all your expenses - something to do before you find something permanent. If you work at least 40 - 50 hours a week, including busy times, in Auckland you will earn between 40 and 60k a year. If you don't have the car for it or want something lower risk and even easier to get into, uber eats is the other option - my suggestion in that case is to use a scooter or a cheap economic car (like a 1998 honda civic or something) as otherwise the depreciation and petrol will eat you alive.

10. Post
    You can probably earn double driving a tractor. Load up audiobooks on your phone, winning.

11. Post
    I did it for a bit in Wellington. Averaged (ish) $25 gross / hour, and ended up being paid only about 1/2 (if that) of the miles travelled per shift (ended up doing more driving to pick up next customer than actual distance driven with passenger onboard).

It was okay doing it in a Prius because fuel economy.

Would suggest only a good plan as a part time top up job, if you are all good with working high demand times.

I didn't stick at it, went back to office work. It wasn't my bag, but it might suit some people really well.

12. Post
    Check out https://www.mytask.co.nz/

The "Can you do this for me" app.

GF's friend does it in Wellington. 90% of his jobs are installing/building flatpack furniture. He has made enough connections through the app that he doesn't use it anymore and gets cash in hand.

13. Post
    Insomniac, I don't have any Uber advice, but I did want to say that's really shit news! Really sorry to hear that. I take it you were one of the 2000 mentioned on the news a couple of weeks ago? You gonna be okay?

14. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Insomniac, I don't have any Uber advice, but I did want to say that's really shit news! Really sorry to hear that. I take it you were one of the 2000 mentioned on the news a couple of weeks ago? You gonna be okay?
    Thx bro. Yeah its part of that lot that was on the news but I actually volunteered for it as they gave us that option first. Been here for almost 14 years pretty much doing the same thing so totally over it now lol. Plus they moving everyone over the shore which is too far for me so it was a no brainer to go for it. I'm good bro I still got until the end of the month & can't wait to be out of here lol.

15. Post
    Vodafone?

16. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Thx bro. Yeah its part of that lot that was on the news but I actually volunteered for it as they gave us that option first. Been here for almost 14 years pretty much doing the same thing so totally over it now lol. Plus they moving everyone over the shore which is too far for me so it was a no brainer to go for it. I'm good bro I still got until the end of the month & can't wait to be out of here lol.
    Hang in there bro, I know its a shit feeling but often these things are for the better. By all accounts I've had Vodafone is a shit company. Hope your payout was decent.

17. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Vodafone?
    Yep

18. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Vodafone?
    F**k sorry Insomniac, I shouldn't have put that "...one of the 2000?" question in. Didn't mean to "out" who you work for.

19. Post
    Therk wrote:
    Hang in there bro, I know its a shit feeling but often these things are for the better. By all accounts I've had Vodafone is a shit company. Hope your payout was decent.
    Yeah not too bad, enough to last a few months but would rather not use it all up on living expenses hence why I was considering Uber. I'm happy about it though. I would've quit in the near future anyway so the redundancy is actually a bonus.

- - - Updated - - -

Frederick James wrote:
    F**k sorry Insomniac, I shouldn't have put that "...one of the 2000?" question in. Didn't mean to "out" who you work for.
    Nah its all good bro. I'm leaving anyway so who cares lol

20. Post
    I talked to a bunch of guys who immigrated here to be drivers (taxi then uber) and they're generally trying to bail because it's terrible.

On the other hand if you don't need much income I could see it being fun picking up a few lucrative/convenient rides each day.

21. Post
    Could you do a change to someone like the IRD? Different kind of work but similar role? I find in those jobs its the people in your team who make work fun / worth getting up in the morning!

Mate did uber. His biggest gripe was the requirment to keep a certain rating...he said no one gives perfect scores and you had to keep a certain rating or you would get penalised as a driver. He also found that the only times he made any money were the times he wanted to be in bed / having a social life. Ended up missing out on a lot of stuff. However, he had a full time job and was ubering in Auckland about 3 - 4 nights a week after work till late. Was an idiot.

You also need like a COF etc. on your car, to keep a log book of hours etc. if you do it properly (asfaik - mate had to anyway)

22. Post
    if after a driving job for a bit of something different, do a bit of delivery work. bread or milk or something. early hours but rather stress free.

23. Post
    Used to use Uber quite a bit a couple of years ago and the drivers always said it was good but yeah that was awhile ago.

It did seem like a lot of them were using it as a side income while studying or in their spare time though.

24. Post
    Equity wrote:
    You also need like a COF etc. on your car, to keep a log book of hours etc. if you do it properly (asfaik - mate had to anyway)
    Correct. You'll need a passenger service endorsement on your driver's licence too, along with the COF, and commercial insurance (owies).

25. Post
    Stolen from Reddit. I lol'ed: