Results 26 to 50 of 51

  1. Post
    #26
    Vulcan wrote:
    You mean Burma has had a civil war going on since well before the 60's. No side is innocent.
    Sides? Are you serious? Omg.

    You are so unbelievably ignorant.

    The native Burmese Buddhists majority have had a civil war over communism or capitalism. This stuff was lingering in the 1980's.

    But since 1962 Buddhist Burmese majority have persecuted the small Chinese and Indian minorities.

    It's a genocide of Indians. Hardly a civil war. They're not fighting for government control. They're fighting to remain in the country or not be killed.

    And it is also a total persecution of Chinese. Who fought back in 2015 against superior numbers but lost and many fled over the border to China.

    This is ethnic cleansing by a majority.

    The main civil war disputes over government ideology is between the native majority. Unless you include the Chinese fight back in 2015 where they got smashed. Or a car bomb by Muslims and Hindu injuring 6 government soldiers.

    Civil war? This is racial persecution by the Government. These are 2% and 2% populations.
    Last edited by Paddles; 5th April 2019 at 1:24 am.

  2. Post
    #27
    I can't find the label for all the civilians the US has killed unless it's under other or unknown?

  3. Post
    #28
    Zarkov wrote:
    Islam's no different from Christianity, it's utterly absurd, and the refuge of the poorly educated and the delusional.

    It doesn't deserve any more respect than the Church of the Latter Day Saints, the Seventh Day Adventists or Anglicans, and practitioners of voodoo if there are any left.

    The human race is staring down the barrel of extinction within a few generations, and rationality is going out the window if you think you can arrange some sort accommodation with something that relies on the credulity of it's followers.
    Well said.

    However, there is now a growing level of anxiety in the world for all sorts of issues, which is making people choose religion where life is simpler to understand and allows them to escape from the reality many of us are trying to work out.

    I can see many global trends heading to disaster over the next few generations, and if people can only see a couple of these, is it any wonder people want to escape life and live under the delusion of religion. Whereas the rational of us will try to make some of these trends less disastrous if we can, but there is not enough of us, to give the majority some hope.

  4. Post
    #29
    Paddles wrote:
    Lol - you're seriously joking right? Do you actually believe this website is remotely balanced - when Muslims are being genocided - literally genocided in Myanmar - and the only entry on your linked website about Myanmar is a car bomb injuring 6 of the genociding army??????? I mean seriously. Should they all take be being genocide sitting down?

    Look at all the groups it follows - only Muslim groups. This is literally an Anti-Islam website. Look at the non muslim event it reports or alleges to have done it, left wing and eco terrorists. This is literally a far right Islam hating website. Literally.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–p...ide_in_Myanmar

    https://www.reuters.com/investigates...akhine-events/

    https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpa...r-army-1490278

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8057846.html

    Look - you're either an anti-Islam gun owning maniac who belongs on a watchlist - seriously naive and gullible - or one of the most epic sarcastic trolls of all time. I don't care which it is as long as its not the first.

    For everybody else - if you care to know a bit more about what is going in the world - you would have been able to tell the difference.
    Relax. It was one of the first websites to pop up on a Google search.

  5. Post
    #30
    It is kinda weird how so many kiwis seem to think the old school Ottomons and muslims in general are some oppressed minority. The Ottomons was an empire in its own right, that buried the roman empire I might add and took over Constantinople which was a christian stronghold (as was Turkey). Some people seem to think these guys were just chilling out minding their own business when Ze Christians came in and whopped them. When in fact it was the total opposite.

    All these muslim areas in eastern europe/middle east were once either Jewish, Christian or Zoroastrian. The Zoroastrians were so badly purged it's effectively extinct despite being a major global religion at one point. So let's not pretend Islam is something it's not. I generally find the two dollar hipster protesters on social media have no understanding of history and have a brain like a potato, so I cannot say I'm surprised at their lack of intelligence.

  6. Post
    #31
    Bobs wrote:
    It is kinda weird how so many kiwis seem to think the old school Ottomons and muslims in general are some oppressed minority. The Ottomons was an empire in its own right, that buried the roman empire I might add and took over Constantinople which was a christian stronghold (as was Turkey). Some people seem to think these guys were just chilling out minding their own business when Ze Christians came in and whopped them. When in fact it was the total opposite.

    All these muslim areas in eastern europe/middle east were once either Jewish, Christian or Zoroastrian. The Zoroastrians were so badly purged it's effectively extinct despite being a major global religion at one point. So let's not pretend Islam is something it's not. I generally find the two dollar hipster protesters on social media have no understanding of history and have a brain like a potato, so I cannot say I'm surprised at their lack of intelligence.
    Don't talk about the Armenians

  7. Post
    #32
    Bobs wrote:
    It is kinda weird how so many kiwis seem to think the old school Ottomons and muslims in general are some oppressed minority. The Ottomons was an empire in its own right, that buried the roman empire I might add and took over Constantinople which was a christian stronghold (as was Turkey). Some people seem to think these guys were just chilling out minding their own business when Ze Christians came in and whopped them. When in fact it was the total opposite.

    All these muslim areas in eastern europe/middle east were once either Jewish, Christian or Zoroastrian. The Zoroastrians were so badly purged it's effectively extinct despite being a major global religion at one point. So let's not pretend Islam is something it's not. I generally find the two dollar hipster protesters on social media have no understanding of history and have a brain like a potato, so I cannot say I'm surprised at their lack of intelligence.
    Of course they were. Islam wasn't created as a religion until 6 centuries after Christianity, which post dated Judaism. Lol!

    Empires rose and fell. Imperial Christianity became a thing after the Roman's killed Jesus, then subsequently founded the Roman Catholic Church. Religion has a long history of conquest. But it predates Islam.

  8. Post
    #33
    Bobs wrote:
    The Ottomons was an empire in its own right, that buried the roman empire I might add and took over Constantinople which was a christian stronghold (as was Turkey). Some people seem to think these guys were just chilling out minding their own business when Ze Christians came in and whopped them. When in fact it was the total opposite.
    The fall of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire can, sadly, be partially blamed on Christians themselves as well. It was severely weakened having been repeatedly attacked by Latin crusaders and after the 1204 Siege of Constantinople at the end of the Fourth Crusade.

    Part of what led to the schism between the Western (Roman Catholic) and Eastern Orthodox churches...
    Last edited by Basileus; 6th April 2019 at 12:19 am.

  9. Post
    #34
    Right, since you guys won’t split off to a new thread, I’ve done it for you. Have at it, but remember, it should be possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

  10. Post
    #35
    Zarkov wrote:
    Haha.

    You think Christianity is/was a religion of peace?

    History wasn't one of your subjects at school was it?
    ahahha

    All religions where ****ed, most still are. Theres one giant outlier though.

  11. Post
    #36
    NaCh0 wrote:
    The point is sharia law isn’t a universally agreed upon thing with muslims.
    I thought we are supposed to be living in an enlightened age, where people are not treated any differently, because of gender, sexual persuasion, religion, ethnicity, etc.

    I believe where a group, any group of people are doing this (treating people differently), then we need to call them out for it. However, as someone who is an atheist, I do find it hard to understand these behaviours, because I see these as regressive as opposed to progressive. If we need to advance as a society for the betterment of all, then calling out these groups, needs to happen whenever light is shined on them.

    So I wont stand idly by when I see these, what I believe are injustices.

  12. Post
    #37
    Paddles wrote:
    Sides? Are you serious? Omg.

    You are so unbelievably ignorant.
    Umm Burma has had civil wars across all it's regions since the British left. I'm guessing your jumping in with both feet because you need something for you to be offended about.

    As with most leftie libtards you are picking a point in time which bests suits your needs to have a cry. Sure muslims there are being persecuted right now, but the issues run much deeper. They are also not the only ethnic group there being persecuted.

    Burma's had a pretty rocky history with various factions doing some horrible shit over the last hundred years. It's basically had a none stop civil war which is why it was most stable under the military dictatorship. Once the dictatorship was dissolved and a civilian government popped all the factions started fighting against each other.

    The muslims in Rakhine state have been far from innocent in their participation.

  13. Post
    #38
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Except Sharia Law is really brutal; Execution for being raped without 4 male witnesses or being gay, losing a limb for stealing, stoned to death for adultery, and then you have 'honour' killings in some parts as well.

    These type of brutal punishments should be condemned by all people and all religions.
    Fuk yeah!

    I'm not a religious guy, but I'd never deny anyone happiness, spiritual or otherwise, from any religion they choose to follow. The only proviso being that it doesn't impact anyone else, particularly those of a different faith, or no faith at all.

    Hopefully another generation or three will sort this out (if we haven't blown ourselves up by then), but I have a problem with any religion that can't move with the times, as we become more enlightened and civilised. I don't mean to single out Islam, but I'm lazy, and it's the easiest example my puny brain can come up with; this is 2019, and we need to move past cruel and unusual punishments like those imposed in Sharia Law.

    I mean, imagine going to the doctor about your headache, and he says "Imma drill a hole in your skull to let the evil spirits out! What? Don't look so shocked - it's what we did in the middle ages! 'Sall good!".

    Surely any religion can evolve in the same way that science has? Is it so hard to say "Yeah, that law/rule/tenet just isn't right, let's change it"? I'm expecting too much, aren't I?

  14. Post
    #39
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TitaniaMc...26838411538432

    Friendly reminder when you see a women with a burqa (well, we don't see those in the west. It's a "headscarf") it's symbolism of Islamic oppression.

  15. Post
    #40
    Frederick James wrote:
    Hopefully another generation or three will sort this out (if we haven't blown ourselves up by then), but I have a problem with any religion that can't move with the times, as we become more enlightened and civilised. I don't mean to single out Islam, but I'm lazy, and it's the easiest example my puny brain can come up with; this is 2019, and we need to move past cruel and unusual punishments like those imposed in Sharia Law.

    ...

    Surely any religion can evolve in the same way that science has? Is it so hard to say "Yeah, that law/rule/tenet just isn't right, let's change it"? I'm expecting too much, aren't I?
    A big part of the problem arguably stems from how Islamic philosophy/theology developed historically.

    I could elaborate if you like, but it'd probably bore you...

  16. Post
    #41
    Lethargic wrote:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/TitaniaMc...26838411538432

    Friendly reminder when you see a women with a burqa (well, we don't see those in the west. It's a "headscarf") it's symbolism of Islamic oppression.
    Friendly reminder that Titania McGrath is a satire account.

  17. Post
    #42
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Friendly reminder that Titania McGrath is a satire account.
    Was interviewed on Tucker Carlson's show a few nights ago...


  18. Post
    #43
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Friendly reminder that Titania McGrath is a satire account.
    I am well aware of this. Since when can satire not have depredations of truth underpinning it.

  19. Post
    #44
    **** all religions.

    No need to single out any 1 particular fairy tale over another.

  20. Post
    #45
    Come on man, everybody loves a good story. Besides, do you really want simple people using their own minds to shape reality tunnels? I don't.

  21. Post
    #46
    Basileus wrote:
    A big part of the problem arguably stems from how Islamic philosophy/theology developed historically.

    I could elaborate if you like, but it'd probably bore you...
    I'm definitely interested - I guess there are extremes in every religion, fundamentalists and such. Islam seems like such a massive religion, with a set of rules (Sharia Law), that appear to be at odds with modern society. So yeah, keen to learn more!

  22. Post
    #47
    Frederick James wrote:
    I'm definitely interested - I guess there are extremes in every religion, fundamentalists and such. Islam seems like such a massive religion, with a set of rules (Sharia Law), that appear to be at odds with modern society. So yeah, keen to learn more!
    No worries, just don't want to waste my time unless there was genuine interest. I'll write something up soon.

  23. Post
    #48
    Basileus wrote:
    No worries, just don't want to waste my time unless there was genuine interest. I'll write something up soon.
    Sweet mate! Appreciate that.

  24. Post
    #49
    I'd definitely be interested too

    On a more sour note: https://twitter.com/Imamofpeace/stat...17748456984577

  25. Post
    #50
    Made a topic about it in CEPP here. Apologies for the delay.