1. Post

Home Theater Upgrade

Hi all,

Ok so I have a mix of old and new. This means I only have optical running to the amp and can't take advantage of any modern audio formats or ARC.

Our current setup is as follows -

AV Receiver - Denon AVR 3808
    Main speakers - Anthony Gallo Reference 3 (tweeters have been pushed in)
    Center - Acoustic Research CS25
    Sub woofer - KEF Model 30B
    TV - LG C7 OLED 55
    Blu Ray - XBOX One S

We watch a mix of Netflix and Blu Ray but also want the system to be good at pumping out music when I am cooking or we have guests over. If there is a system that works well with multi room so I could put a speaker in the kitchen that would be nice but not needed.

Potentially we are going to move to a smaller apartment this year but I am not sure we will. So the system needs to be ok in the current space as well as a smaller space although I doubt that the actual home theater space will be much smaller than what we have right now.

So my question is this..... Should I just start fresh and get an out of the box 5.1.2 system or should I upgrade the AV Receiver and the center speaker (I think its shot).

If I upgrade I am looking at the Denon X 3500H and the Klipsch RC52. Only problem with that is that I don't have 5.1.2 and only have a 3.1 setup.

Budget is around $1500 but I can stretch to make it worthwhile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 14.39.10.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	225727

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 14.39.10 (1).jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	225728

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 14.39.10 (2).jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	225729

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-04-06 at 14.39.10 (3).jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	225730

2. Post
    Will the end result always be 3.1? Those speakers look whack haha!

Found that new Denon second hand? Google says its 2k.

3. Post
    A vacuum cleaner might pull those domes back to the "outie" position.
    Last edited by Oldtime boy; 6th April 2019 at 8:51 pm. Reason: Dunnae think those r tweeters

4. Post
    Oldtime boy wrote:
    A vacuum cleaner might pull those tweeter domes back to the "outie" position.
    One has been pushed in but the other is completely removed and it’s fairly noticeable. The balance is all off.

- - - Updated - - -

Fragluton wrote:
    Will the end result always be 3.1? Those speakers look whack haha!

Found that new Denon second hand? Google says its 2k.
    They are crazy looking. In their day they were 6000 UsD ��

5. Post
    Decided to replace the whole setup with something that can scale to apartment size. If we move into a smaller place it should work well and on the flip side this setup I am hoping will have more than enough power for our current apartment.

Got the Sony HT-ST5000 which cost a ton but from what I have read online is worth it.

6. Post
    Have the system together.

I had it all wired up and working ok but wasn't impressed with the audio quality of the built in apps from the TV such as netflix. What was worse was when I put in an HD blu ray of Interstellar and dialogue was super quiet while the rest of the movie was way to loud. At that point I did some googling and realised that Interstellars audio is actually like that on purpose so that made me feel a bit better. I tried the Martian and it sounded great.

So I then tried using the built in Netflix app on the Xbox and WOW it sounded amazing. Far far superior to the TV audio. Turns out that ARC is far more limited than I realised. So I did some reasearch and the only way to get the kind of audio I want is to not use ARC and in the end I wired up an Apple TV 4K because its supports ATMOS and Dolby Vision.

Now though I have an issue where in a black scene or screen I can see little white flickering bits. Almost like an old movie on film? Any suggestions on what might cause this? The Apple TV is outputting 4k 50hz in Dolby Vision but the Xbox was doing the same thing.

7. Post
    What limitation on sound does ARC have? Maybe i'm missing out of on something, but my setup has always sounded fine using it. Traditional 5.1 setup though.

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    What limitation on sound does ARC have? Maybe i'm missing out of on something, but my setup has always sounded fine using it. Traditional 5.1 setup though.
    I had the speakers at max volume and it sounded OK. But when running a source like the Apple TV straight into the receiver the volume is twice as loud and so much more detailed.

I believe that ARC can't carry ATMOS or a variety of different codecs as well due to a bit rate limitation.

9. Post
    Ah I see, so just need all devices plugged directly into the speaker. Sucks if you need to stream ATMOS content from the TV to speaker then.

10. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Ah I see, so just need all devices plugged directly into the speaker. Sucks if you need to stream ATMOS content from the TV to speaker then.
    Exactly what my case was and having spent so much on the sound bar its a bit crap to have to go and buy more things to make it work.

That said I am very impressed with Apple TV 4K

11. Post
    It's inconsistent though - Amazon Prime video outputs atmos via ARC on my Samsung TV, but the built in Netflix app doesn't support it at the moment.

12. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    It's inconsistent though - Amazon Prime video outputs atmos via ARC on my Samsung TV, but the built in Netflix app doesn't support it at the moment.
    What is inconsistent?

13. Post
    Unknitlemon6855 wrote:
    What is inconsistent?
    The argument that ARC doesn't have the bandwidth for Atmos - generally the atmos implementation for streaming sites will theoretically work over ARC, but not all the devices/apps have it enabled.