1. Post

Eyesight Requirements for Driving Without Glasses

As per title, wondering what the threshold is?

2. Post
    Whatever it is I barely scraped through on my last license renewal.

AA Lady : Read line 3 please

Me: Ummmm B.....? errr A.....?

AA Lady: Oops hang on I have it set to the truck drivers test

Me: *phew*

Still barely passed though.

3. Post
    ??? You just have to pass the eye test when applying for or renewing your license -but I'm a bit worried if you think your eye sight is compromised and you don't want to wear glasses when driving...

I had a weird thing when I did mine where the entire left column was blurry which was strange because the middle and right columns were completely clear. It wasn't my eyesight (I do wear glasses) the column was actually curled in on itself.

I told the lady there was something wrong with the left eyepiece of the machine and she said I would have to go get an eye exam so instead I closed my left eye and squinted my way through.

4. Post
    Anyone see that Aussie Drivers Test show on TV - instructor asked this chick to read some signs and she couldn't see them clearly. He banned her until she got her eyes checked. She wore glasses already but went to get her eyes rechecked, optometrist just cleaned her glasses and she could see again (and was able to driver properly).

5. Post
    It’s more a question for Optometrists I guess - I am wondering what the cutoff is in terms of Sphere measurement to not require glasses for driving. The optometrist I visited wouldn’t allow me to be exempt from the licence test unless I bought glasses from them.

6. Post
    joidvivr wrote:
    It’s more a question for Optometrists I guess - I am wondering what the cutoff is in terms of Sphere measurement to not require glasses for driving. The optometrist I visited wouldn’t allow me to be exempt from the licence test unless I bought glasses from them.
    Do you mean:

Unless you got glasses

or

Unless you bought glasses from them?

7. Post
    brand wrote:
    Do you mean:

Unless you got glasses

or

Unless you bought glasses from them?
    The latter. Exemption form was withdrawn when I told them I didn’t want to buy glasses.

8. Post
    brand wrote:
    ??? You just have to pass the eye test when applying for or renewing your license -but I'm a bit worried if you think your eye sight is compromised and you don't want to wear glasses when driving...

I had a weird thing when I did mine where the entire left column was blurry which was strange because the middle and right columns were completely clear. It wasn't my eyesight (I do wear glasses) the column was actually curled in on itself.

I told the lady there was something wrong with the left eyepiece of the machine and she said I would have to go get an eye exam so instead I closed my left eye and squinted my way through.
    I had a similar thing. The issue was that there was only 2 columns, not 3 like there should have been. The left column of the right eye and the right column of the left eye were smashed together and overlapping each other. Told them about it, they said it was a problem with my eyes and they sent me away. Went back in another day and closed one eye when working on the middle column. Job done. My eyesight is fantastic, their machine was ****ed and they refused to take responsibility.

9. Post
    joidvivr wrote:
    Itís more a question for Optometrists I guess - I am wondering what the cutoff is in terms of Sphere measurement to not require glasses for driving. The optometrist I visited wouldnít allow me to be exempt from the licence test unless I bought glasses from them.
    KevinL signal!

My wife is in the industry, and says;
    It's not about Sphere measurement, it's about visual acuity. The optometrist won't issue a DL12 certificate if you fail the driving standard, you must get visual correction, and they are obliged to inform the LTSA if you don't.

However, you should be able to buy the glasses (or contacts) anywhere, and you can then get your DL12 certificate.

10. Post
    Why not just drive with glasses

11. Post
    So what happened for me was optometrist said she'll test me then I can take form to nzta. One of the issues she said was that the nzta place checks each eye individually ... Whereas in my case, both of my eyes individually aren't great, but together they're pretty ok (possibly what was going on with xev and brand?)

TLR if I went to nzta I'd have the wear glasses restriction on my licence but doing it through optometrist I don't

12. Post
    If in doubt definitely see the optometrist. It's cheap and the requirement for driving is actually pretty low, so you really don't want to risk driving around below that.

13. Post
    trackers wrote:
    So what happened for me was optometrist said she'll test me then I can take form to nzta. One of the issues she said was that the nzta place checks each eye individually ... Whereas in my case, both of my eyes individually aren't great, but together they're pretty ok (possibly what was going on with xev and brand?)

TLR if I went to nzta I'd have the wear glasses restriction on my licence but doing it through optometrist I don't
    My eyes are the same as yours, I could read all the lines with both eyes open - initially the optometrist said it was fine and I can drive but she then said I need to purchase glasses from them if I wanted the exemption form that day. The thing that irks me is my sister got the exemption, albeit from a different optometrist, only a few weeks prior and I’m pretty sure her eyesight is worse than mine.

14. Post
    I dont understand this forcing of purchasing glasses for this, the optometrist should be able to do their job and decide if that is required or just provide you the exemption.

My right eye is affected by an internal obstruction, which makes it slightly blurry. It doesnt impact my general vision as so much as it makes small text only unreadable with just the one eye being used by itself, simular to others in here. I've had this my entire life and yet every time my reading ability with that eye in on the cusp of the maximum extended focus on the testing equipment used by the NZTA. And every time I have to get a form from to confirm this is the case. Annoying as hell.

15. Post
    ^ Agree, that's really shitty if you paid for an eye test, and also giving you an exemption means you don't need to wear glasses but then they're contradicting that by forcing you to buy some anyway

16. Post
    I find the eyesight test machines a load of crap. I have a Class 1 pilots medical, but last time I had to get a an optometrist exam, which of course I passed easily. It's because the machine has to trick your eyes that seeing 30cm is seeing 30m.

Like this article says, they're the most cost efficient way to test for the AA

17. Post
    You blind ****s trying to cheat on the eye test is unwelcome news. You must be walking around banging into walls, why wouldn't you want to get glasses?