1. Post

Daydreaming of a new car

Hi guys, just a hypothetical one. No hate please.

A while ago I had a gen1 mazda mps, quite modded. It was awesome! So much power, and so little traction haha

I sold it to buy a house, and don't regret it as I would have lost my license/not been able to afford to fix it when I eventually broke it. Also it was fwd and didn't handle too much power well.

But...
    I do miss the power! What would be a 10-12k alternative that can light up the wheels, and yet is rwd and handles well. Ideally post 2000 to get some mod cons.

Also a follow up, do v8 holdens and Fords of that era pull well? I have yet to drive one, standard or otherwise

2. Post
    They don't handle well :P

You are also ****ed come maintenance time.

3. Post
    XR6 Turbo. better value for money than a V8 Ford/Holden. switch handles well for "good enough" Would only bother with 6 speed auto versions.

4. Post
    Thanks for all the input!
    That merc looks crazy as, old pompous man on the outside, monster horsepower under the hood 👹 probably not my style though, must test drive one still.

With the xr6 turbo, is it a guarantee I wouldn't just lust after a v8? I mean the sound 😝 like could I throw money at v8 and then it would light up easy?

5. Post
    V8 Commodore, but they don't really handle well, but will put a smile on your face every day.

I had one with headers and twin 2.5in to 3in exhaust, spent another $1500 on a tune and cold air box for 260 RWKW.

Standard ran 13.5, never ran it on the strip after the upgrades.

Everything is cheap for the LS motors from the USA (Summit Racing) and everything on the car is easy to work on.

6. Post
    If you got a turbo Barra then you definitely won't be missing a V8

7. Post
    Disinfo wrote:
    If you got a turbo Barra then you definitely won't be missing a V8
    Until you've replaced the block 6 times in a year

8. Post
    Faaaark this post is timely. About to head overseas for a year and I'm tossing up whether or not I sell my manual 6 MPS. It's the best, most fun, most comfortable car I've ever owned, and I'm worried I won't be able to find something to replace it with when I get back, but storing it will be a pain in the ass.

9. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Until you've replaced the block 6 times in a year
    Not aware of any particular weaknesses in the block itself showing up in the builds I've seen, care to elaborate?

10. Post
    Toyota Chaser but it will be auto for that price.
    335i but need money for parts.

11. Post
    Monolith wrote:
    Not aware of any particular weaknesses in the block itself showing up in the builds I've seen, care to elaborate?
    A friend has shot rods out his block a couple of times now, admittedly he is running stupid boost. I think he has upgraded the rods now, as I haven't seen him on Facebook bitching about needing another block.

12. Post
    That isn't exactly an issue with the block.
    That is someone trying to push too much power through a factory rod.
    Any block will vent if it has a rod explode at high speed.

13. Post
    Don't let the facts get in the way of dickytim's fake news story. Way to mislead people, when in fact it's your mate cutting corners that is the issue there.

14. Post
    Somewhat related, I've been thinking about replacing my current vehicle and am looking at a similar budget to the OP.

I've seen a few mid-late 2000s Skyline 250GTs (V36 model) on trademe recently with low kms and am looking deeper into them.

I understand these don't tend to have CVT which is desirable to me as I hear CVTs often have issues. What are they like for fuel usage? Will installing aftermarket stereo/media gear sting me? Any issues I should be aware of?

15. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    I had one with headers and twin 2.5in to 3in exhaust, spent another $1500 on a tune and cold air box for 260 RWKW.
    on.
    My Turbo FG made that stock without a tune.