Angry fans have Gearbox founder doubling down on Epic

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    It's really not a big deal.

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    It's really not a big deal.
    Only when people make it out to be.

4. Post
    The only legit annoying thing is having your game library spread across multiple launchers. Actually having multiple launchers open shouldn't be a big deal most cpus these days have 8 cores or more. This isn't like the days of dual core where you could barely have msn and internet explorer open without things lagging.

5. Post
    Review bombing is akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum for not getting their way. It's pathetic.

6. Post
    PC gamers... LOL.

7. Post
    Its not like you need a whole different PC to run a separate launcher.

To a console gamer this furor over "exclusivity" is a storm in a tea cup

8. Post
    I should have taken a screenshot, but after I came back from a long trip recently I had updating all at the same time Steam, Origin, Uplay, GoG launcher and Epic launcher at the same time. Just like the streaming market - it's starting to get too fragmented IMO

9. Post
    Competition is good. Steam has been way to complacent the last 5ish years.

10. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Review bombing is akin to a toddler throwing a tantrum for not getting their way. It's pathetic.
    Its one of the few ways gamer's can be heard. That and their wallets, but they can never usually resist sadly.

11. Post
    GradualDAMN wrote:
    Its one of the few ways gamer's can be heard.
    You're kidding me right?

12. Post
    I'd prefer to have got it through steam on account of Steam's support for linux gaming but it's not a big deal.

The most annoying part is having to have multiple launchers. A mechanism to move licenses between launchers/companies would be nice.

13. Post
    It's no more annoying than switching between Netflix and Hulu or any other service. Sure you can choose to only use Netflix but you're going to be missing out on some content.

14. Post
    GradualDAMN wrote:
    Its one of the few ways gamer's can be heard. That and their wallets, but they can never usually resist sadly.
    That's a pretty entitled viewpoint. These so called "gamers" are nothing more than elitist a-holes who are throwing their toys out of their cots.

"Gamers" in general need to get over this idea that the gaming industry is somehow indebted to them. Exclusivity sucks but it is a necessary evil as the shelf price of software does not pay for the development of AAA titles...

15. Post
    you can call it entitled or whatever you want, but if your making a product or service for a market you generally want consumers to want to buy your product / service - if something is obstructing that sale you probably want to look at that.

Also I think if the epic store released with a remotely comparable feature set (super complex stuff like a shopping cart perhaps) to steam the backlash would have been greatly minimized.

if the shelf price of software does not pay for the development of AAA titles they should go back to their business model, or negotiate with the distribution platform (like it looks like they are doing)

yes the cut steam takes is significant, but the main issue as I see it is still the power dynamic (and hence remuneration) between developers and publishers, with Kotick n Co rolling in cash every year while crushing a new dev trying to get them to produce golden egg Mk 1223469.

16. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    It's no more annoying than switching between Netflix and Hulu or any other service. Sure you can choose to only use Netflix but you're going to be missing out on some content.
    its even better because you dont need to pay for multiple launchers

17. Post
    And when they don't sell any PC copies they can blame piracy. Win, win!

Privoxy wrote:
    I think you mean it's no more annoying than having to pay for and manage accounts with: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Neon, Lightbox, HBO Now, CBS All Access, Sony's service, Apple's new service, Disney's new service, etc.

All of which is leading to a resurgence in piracy funnily enough.

18. Post
    GradualDAMN wrote:
    This.

Privoxy wrote:
    You're kidding me right?
    Corporations are increasingly shutting down comments sections on their sites (eg Stuff.co.nz recently). They don't want their biased narratives challenged.

• Centralised places like Reddit and the mainstream social media networks are controlled by shills and people with certain political biases. Shadowbanning of people with perceived "wrongthink" is common.
    • Epic Game Store user reviews will be entirely opt-in from developers.
    • Perceived Steam review bomb attempts flagged by AI algorithm can now be switched off by developers. Users have to opt-in by ticking a buried option in their Steam settings to see all reviews.
    • Rotten Tomatoes disabled viewer anticipation polling for upcoming films because Disney may've put the pressure on leading to Captain Marvel's release.
    • Dissenter is a free speech comment aggregating service that let's you comment on any site. The browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox were de-listed from the official extension galleries within hours of each other just the other day.

19. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    This.

Corporations are increasingly shutting down comments sections on their sites (eg Stuff.co.nz recently). They don't want their biased narratives challenged.

• Centralised places like Reddit and the mainstream social media networks are controlled by shills and people with certain political biases. Shadowbanning of people with perceived "wrongthink" is common.
    • Epic Game Store user reviews will be entirely opt-in from developers.
    • Perceived Steam review bomb attempts flagged by AI algorithm can now be switched off by developers. Users have to opt-in by ticking a buried option in their Steam settings to see all reviews.
    • Rotten Tomatoes disabled viewer anticipation polling for upcoming films because Disney may've put the pressure on leading to Captain Marvel's release.
    • Dissenter is a free speech comment aggregating service that let's you comment on any site. The browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox were de-listed from the official extension galleries within hours of each other just the other day.
    I don't get your point. It's not your right to bitch and moan to companies. If they want your opinion they'll let you offer it.

20. Post
    Monolith wrote:
    you can call it entitled or whatever you want...
    Thanks, I will.