Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Chernobyl [HBO]

This looks very, very good.

Chernobyl, a five-part miniseries co-production from HBO and Sky, dramatizes the story of the 1986 nuclear accident, one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history — and of the sacrifices made to save Europe from unimaginable disaster.

Premiering in May, Chernobyl stars Emmy-nominee Jared Harris (The Crown, Mad Men), Stellan Skarsgård (Melancholia, Good Will Hunting) and Oscar-nominee Emily Watson (Hilary and Jackie, Breaking the Waves).

Chernobyl is written and executive produced by Craig Mazin (The Huntsman: Winter’s War) and directed by Johan Renck (Breaking Bad). Produced by Sister Pictures and The Mighty Mint as an HBO/Sky co-production, Emmy-winner Carolyn Strauss (Game of Thrones) and Jane Featherstone (Broadchurch) serve as executive producers while Johan Renck and Chris Fry (Humans) co-executive produce. Sanne Wohlenberg (Black Mirror) also produces.

https://www.hbo.com/content/hboweb/e...byl/about.html

2. Post
    I'm super keen to see this, there wad a documentary a few years ago on the subject, which gave some insight into how horrific it was

3. Post
    Good grief that looks depressing...

4. Post
    God damn that looks dark.

5. Post
    That looks excellent but yeah ain't going to be any happy endings

6. Post
    Mek7 wrote:
    That looks excellent but yeah ain't going to be any happy endings
    I guess the happy ending was that large parts of Europe aren't radioactive

7. Post
    so British though

8. Post
    Aside from the all British accents, this was so good.

I didn't know the details of the accident and was amazed at how long its taken in this episode to even admit there is a problem, despite everyone literally melting around you.

9. Post
    Definitely not a comedy.

10. Post
    Kog wrote:
    so British though
    More "Threads" than "The Day After".

Threads was pretty goddamn grim for its day.

11. Post
    First episode was excellent, it's got that sense of unimaginable dread going on

12. Post
    That was dark. So many innocent unsuspecting people.

13. Post
    The guy in charge of running the plant was a total douche. "But the core cant have exploded" god that pissed me off. If thats how they reacted to the situation IRL no wonder they were ****ed. Great acting tho. And can I just say Jarred Harris continues to be great in everything he's in. Such an underrated actor.

14. Post
    So intense. The final scene of ep 2 is terrifying. You can feel the guys dread and panic.

15. Post
    This is such a great ****ing show. That last scene was so intense.

Two eps in and I think this is my favourite miniseries of all time.

16. Post
    I really want to like this but holy shit all the British accents calling each other Yuri and Vasili and talking about Pripyat and shit pulls me out of it so fast I get whiplash.

17. Post
    Better than having them act it out with shitty Russian accents and its an HBO show so I wouldn't expect the whole thing to be Russian with subtitles either.

18. Post
    I mean, they could always have gotten actors that can do good Russian accents, or ****, I wouldn't have even minded hearing Russian and just reading subtitles. The british accents make it make no sense.

19. Post
    Listen to the podcast, it explains a few things like what you've mentioned.

20. Post
    This has definitely re-sparked my interest in the subject and I am seriously thinking about actually having a holiday in Ukraine and obviously incorporating a tour of Chernobyl and Pripyat into the trip. In fact, it would be the main reason for the trip although it also looks like a pretty awesome place to visit as well.

It has been really good so far, even for somebody such as myself who has studied the accident in-depth.

I would also encourage everybody to watch this as well: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775665/

Adrian Edmonson is fantastic in it.

21. Post

22. Post
    Some pretty impressive reviews:

23. Post
    Really happy its rating so well, gives me hope that others will see the potential for more series like it.

24. Post
    Really enjoying this one. Have always been fascinated with the whole incident so this is right up my ally.

25. Post
    one of the best productions ive seen in a very long time. Kinda glad they didnt bother trying to do Russian/Ukranian accents, just makes it sound horrible. The only break that makes the brit accent stand out is the Russian radio and loud speakers.