Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
Results 101 to 122 of 122

  1. Post
    I would like an HBO miniseries about the Bhopal disaster next.

  2. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    You don't get it its okay.

    Let me put it another way:
    There are alot of documentarys that claim and news sources claiming that Chernobyl almost caused a 5 Megaton explosion, this is laughable for anyone who understands nuclear power you know why because its impossible they don't use weapons grade uranium in a reactor you know how hard it is to make nuclear material react that fast?
    HBO attempted to be accurate by basing there documentory on fake news and its funny.
    Megaton doesn't mean the explosion is a nuclear fission explosion, it just means it releases energy equivalent to 5 million tons of TNT. For example, the Halifax Explosion, when a ship carrying munitions caught fire, was equivalent to about 2.9 kilotons.

    Fun fact - Megadeth took their name from a unit used in Cold War scenario planning - where the amount of people dying in a nuclear war was so large it was easier to express as megadeaths - millions of deaths.

    And people making that claim about Chernobyl weren't saying it would be a nuclear explosion, they were saying that there'd be a very large explosion when a bunch of very hot metal rapidly vapourised a large amount of water. Hence why they had to drain the water under the reactor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_explosion

    The destroying Europe part is a reference to how far radioactive material could be spread by such an explosion.

  3. Post
    kierbear wrote:
    I would like an HBO miniseries about the Bhopal disaster next.
    I think I'd get too angry at all the corporate malfeasance.

  4. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Megaton doesn't mean the explosion is a nuclear fission explosion, it just means it releases energy equivalent to 5 million tons of TNT. For example, the Halifax Explosion, when a ship carrying munitions caught fire, was equivalent to about 2.9 kilotons.

    Fun fact - Megadeth took their name from a unit used in Cold War scenario planning - where the amount of people dying in a nuclear war was so large it was easier to express as megadeaths - millions of deaths.

    And people making that claim about Chernobyl weren't saying it would be a nuclear explosion, they were saying that there'd be a very large explosion when a bunch of very hot metal rapidly vapourised a large amount of water. Hence why they had to drain the water under the reactor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_explosion

    The destroying Europe part is a reference to how far radioactive material could be spread by such an explosion.
    Hey, shut up, you obviously don't understand nuclear physics!!!

  5. Post
    I watched the first episode. Thinking about rage quiting because it's so frustrating watching the commies deny everything and belittle each other with people literally melting around them!

  6. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    I watched the first episode. Thinking about rage quiting because it's so frustrating watching the commies deny everything and belittle each other with people literally melting around them!
    reminds me of working at Auckland Transport.
    denying mistakes, covering stuff up, incompetence.

  7. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    I watched the first episode. Thinking about rage quiting because it's so frustrating watching the commies deny everything and belittle each other with people literally melting around them!
    that is pretty much most bureaucracies i contracted with . The top and middle management got there by personal connections and nepotism. The inertia it creates is actually quite fascinating to game as a contractor trying to maximize your return for minimal work /shrug

  8. Post
    Plus it's a nice parallel to todays inaction on climate change

  9. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Plus it's a nice parallel to todays inaction on climate change
    The position of the White House is that a global climate emergency is impossible in the USA. Now let's lie to the Germans.

  10. Post
    19 Emmy nominations. Including best limited series.

    https://deadline.com/2019/07/chernob...ns-1202646849/

  11. Post
    Chernobyl just won best limited series at the Emmy's!

    https://www.tvguide.com/news/chernob...es-2019-emmys/

  12. Post
    Those hospital scenes

  13. Post
    I still haven't seen this, I keep forgetting

  14. Post
    I might just sign up for the hbo trial period just to watch it.

  15. Post
    Excellent mini series. Very interesting, although un-surprisingly graphic.

  16. Post
    I think it is a must watch, they should show it to kids in high school history.

    I was only 6 and a half when it happened, but was aware that it was bad, despite being a young child and with the lack of info in those days. But after watching that I was quite shocked at how bad it was, and how much worse it could have been if they'd continued to stay in denial.

  17. Post
    Rebound wrote:
    Those hospital scenes
    I've still got 2 eps to go because of that - needed a break from how grim it was after the hospital scenes.

  18. Post
    luckily there's some pet genocide up next to take the edge off

  19. Post
    Thanks for reminding me of that episode

  20. Post
    Hard to see another show topping this for my drama of the year. Maybe Succession depending on how the season ends.

    I had nightmares about black graphite for weeks.

  21. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Hard to see another show topping this for my drama of the year. Maybe Succession depending on how the season ends.

    I had nightmares about black graphite for weeks.
    Because of this show I start feeling uneasy if I look at pics of Chernobyl too long like I'm gonna get get sick or something. I remember browsing facebook not that long ago and stuff posted an article re Chernobyl with pics of the control room made me anxious just looking at it. You could actually see spots of radiation in the photo. I only looked at it for a few seconds before moving on. it annoys me that theyre actually letting people visit the plant now like its a damn tourist attraction. Even though they only let you in for 5 minutes its still risky as hell. I wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by Valeyard; 14th October 2019 at 7:16 pm.

  22. Post
    David Farrier should go there for Dark Tourist 2.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk