1. Post

HP BladeSystem woes

Anyone with experience with a C series BladeSystem want to stop me from killing myself*?

Have setup a C3000 in my basement but can't get network connectivity to the blades.

Has a GBE2c which I can't figure out. OA works fine with its own dedicated cable assigning IPs to all of the ILOs via DHCP, but I can't get the switch ports to passthrough.

A regular network engineer could probably figure it out as well, but I can't for the life of me. I don't have a lot of experience with managed switches but believe I've followed the instructions from countless sources correctly.

The GBE2c has been reset to factory a couple times, and HP makes out like the default config should just work.

*Not really, but extremely frustrated after many hours of playing around

2. Post
    This is what it currently looks like:
    Attachment 225792
    Attachment 225793

The Blade I'm configuring are ports 2 and 10.
    The cable to the rest of my network is 24.
    ILO is coming in on 19 (and working via DHCP through an unmanaged switch of which they're using adjacent ports, so it's not general network).
    All ports are currently connected to VLAN1 and I've experimented with turning it off and on on various ports.

I also tested setting up a second VLAN, setting 2, 10 and 24 up in it, configuring PVID on those as VLAN2 and putting those ports into the VLAN with a mix VLAN tagging being on and off on various ports but to no avail.

The switch itself has received a DHCP IP via the cable going into it on 24. So it's definitely on the network as it should be and I'm on the web interface using another machine on the same subnet, so the switch definitely, 100% has a connection to the DHCP host.

I've also now installed Ubuntu desktop and assigned static IPs to the MAC addresses so I can play with the configuration from my computer. I was trying to install Ubuntu server but it won't install without a network connection and CentOS apparently uses a Linux core that doesn't have the network drivers for a C series Blade.

3. Post
    Happy to feed/ply with alcohol/ply with a (moderate) amount of money/act as a webhost for 6 months if someone would prefer to physically come and look at the machine in Browns Bay, Auckland.

4. Post
    OHMYGODIGOTIT.

Excuse me, I have some serious drinking to do.
    Name:  PING.PNG
Views: 154
Size:  149.9 KB

5. Post
    congrats. I'm sure others here will know what you were talking about, but to me, that was like a whole other language.

6. Post
    Ubuntu Server installed, I can finally SSH in without all the garbage GUI overhead and never have to look at any of this shit ever again (until I get the drives for the other three servers, but theoretically they should just go now the first is working).

The C3000 wants Java or ActiveX for remote desktop into the ILO. Chrome just refreshes the invalid cert indefinitely. Firefox no longer supports NPAPI. And IE11 is just slow as shit (albeit I did finally get in, in fits and starts and it didn't render everything).

Eventually gave up and just hooked a monitor and KBM up, but even then the virtualised head was godawfully slow on the GUI when Ubuntu Desktop was installed.

Even had to use a null modem cable for the first time (prior to this thread) in over a decade to reset the GbE2c because it had a static IP set that wasn't mine. This shit be old, although you can get blades all the way up to current for it.

7. Post
    good work on getting it working

i hope you are ready for the power bill from that thing.....

does that thing use 10A instead of 16A power?

8. Post
    Abo wrote:
    good work on getting it working

i hope you are ready for the power bill from that thing.....

does that thing use 10A instead of 16A power?
    It came with 6x 1200W PSUs but I knocked it down to four. So each is 5A but I'll be running it off a pair of 10A double plugs connected to a 16A circuit in redundancy mode, so consuming 10A max.

The enclosure uses 150W, but can hit 450W when all fans are at full bore, each blade sets aside 550W but actually consumes around 150-350W (idle > load) and there's four blades, although three of them use dual 50W processors. Other one is dual 95W and between 20-50GB RAM each.

So I'm expecting an idle of 1150W and a load of 2050W which isn't so bad. 30c an hour on 100% load. 17c an hour on idle. So maybe $150 on the power bill per month.

Once I'm finished my pet project I'll be spinning it off to a company and assuming if the server is running on load when that happens then I'm making vast quantities of money.

9. Post
    Not sure what the use case is but a grunty workstation or rack mount would be more powerful and more efficient.

10. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    Not sure what the use case is but a grunty workstation or rack mount would be more powerful and more efficient.
    They're the same hardware, so I don't see how that is true. Blades are just a simplified and compressed form factor. Only difference is that you're forced to use 2.5" drives.

11. Post
    1 new rack mount will out grunt a whole chassis of older blades. Blades are good if you need a lot of compute, most of the time a few rack mounts will be more cost effective. Depends if you have a specific requirement for blades...

12. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    1 new rack mount will out grunt a whole chassis of older blades. Blades are good if you need a lot of compute, most of the time a few rack mounts will be more cost effective. Depends if you have a specific requirement for blades...
    So what you're saying is new hardware is more powerful and more efficient than old hardware. Of course that's true, you can get modern blades as well. The G10s are current hardware and slip straight into my enclosure. As well as modern switch options and other additions.

On the other hand, what would thirty two cores and 120GB of RAM cost me in new servers? Or at least equivalent performance? Plus an equivalent switch, four 1200W gold PSUs, KVMs and the rack itself?

Anywhere near the $600 I paid for this?

13. Post
    Can also get 12 core chips for the G8 for like $120 each down the line when I need them.

14. Post
    just go cloud lul 4head

15. Post
    id like an update on your power bill next month