Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Bitcoin!

2. Post
    Never too old for a spanking

3. Post
    Equity wrote:
    Interest free loan they pay back for their first car...
    Uni stuff...
    They wont be thinking of it as a hand out haha
    The mistake many parents make: thinking their kids are actually going to pay them back.

4. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Thinking about this further, and all the people I've known through life, I think you're actually best served giving your kids nothing and letting them fend for themselves.

So spend the grand on hookers and blow.
    That is pretty much what I got from my parents, except a documented loan with stipulated repayments etc.

I hear what you are saying, and most of the savings we are putting aside (started at $100/w and increasing 10% a year) will be for schooling, we plan on sending her to a private school for her highschooling, then if we can pay for her tertiary education.

The house is because housing is only becoming less affordable, if we can give her a leg up she won't be nearly 40 and just getting into her first home like we were, the market might equalise, or income vs. housing costs may come back to reasonable, but that is not a gamble I am willing to take for my daughter.

5. Post
    Each to their own but unless someone's religious or living in a bad school zone I don't see merit in private schooling. Buy another house instead

Paid for my own uni and bought my house at 24. The work ethic and discipline I had to manifest to do so is my most valuable asset as I've gone through life.

Otherwise you have to be super smart or super lucky.

6. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Each to their own but unless someone's religious or living in a bad school zone I don't see merit in private schooling. Buy another house instead

Pukekohe,... nuf said.

7. Post
    Gonna go all out and send it to Strathallan?

8. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Pukekohe,... nuf said.
    Maybe you have an affinity with the place, but if the school's that bad, for $100+ a week you could get a house in a better school zone.....

9. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Maybe you have an affinity with the place, but if the school's that bad, for $100+ a week you could get a house in a better school zone.....
    And still go to a school where the curriculum is sub par.

10. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Gonna go all out and send it to Strathallan?
    Yes that is the plan, she is in preschool there, and for the money is the best option, i.e. higher teacher to child ratio of any centre in the area, focus on fun and education and a good progression to school.

11. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    And still go to a school where the curriculum is sub par.
    Well, that's probably a subjective opinion. Kids are likely to do better going to a single sex school over going to a private one. And if their parents can afford to send them to a private school, that also plays a huge part.