1. Post

New 1070ti not performing as well as I would have hoped

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded to a 1070ti and am struggling to get above 60-70 fps in Farcry 5 new dawn on any settings. I also had some serious frame drops when playing Wild Lands: Ghost Recon.

Not exactly the most intensive games I would have thought? Specs below;

Intel Core i5-4570
    Asrock B85M Pro4 Mother Board
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB

Looking at above, with my limited knowledge, I feel is it perhaps the CPU?

Appreciate your thoughts.
    Last edited by benf; 14th April 2019 at 10:28 am.

2. Post
    benf wrote:
    Hi guys,

I recently upgraded to a 1070ti and am struggling to get above 60-70 fps in Farcry 5 new dawn on any settings. I also had some serious frame drops when playing Wild Lands: Ghost Recon.

Not exactly the most intensive games I would have thought? Specs below;

Intel Core i5-4570
    Asrock B85M Pro4 Mother Board
    GV-N1060G1GAMING-6GD, Gigabyte G1 1070ti
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB

Looking at above, with my limited knowledge, I feel is it perhaps the CPU?

Appreciate your thoughts.
    Are you running two GPUs? What does the 1060 get?

3. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Are you running two GPUs? What does the 1060 get?
    Oops, thanks for picking up on that. I pasted the wrong line from UserBenchmark
    I am just running a single EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

Cheers

4. Post
    CPU or memory is possible but it's an easy thing to determine.

Fire up the HUD and check the CPU and memory usage. Or if you have two screens, put task manager on the CPU performance tab on the other one.

If anything is running at or close to 100%, that's your problem.

5. Post
    If it's either of those, buy this, swap your processor and RAM with it. Then onsell it for the same price:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...45bb725119-004

Maybe watch this:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...8ecfb8d4da-004

6. Post
    What resolution?

As mentioned, CPU and memory will be contributing a bit.

Both those games can be taxing, especially on old gear.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 14th April 2019 at 10:53 am.

7. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    CPU or memory is possible but it's an easy thing to determine.

Fire up the HUD and check the CPU and memory usage. Or if you have two screens, put task manager on the CPU performance tab on the other one.

If anything is running at or close to 100%, that's your problem.
    Cool I will try that.

suntoucher wrote:
    If it's either of those, buy this, swap your processor and RAM with it. Then onsell it for the same price:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...45bb725119-004

Maybe watch this:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...8ecfb8d4da-004
    Thank you, I think I will. I was looking at replacement processors alone that would cost that.

Fragluton wrote:
    What resolution?

As mentioned, CPU and memory will be contributing a bit.

Both those games can be taxing, especially on old gear.
    1080p

8. Post
    That CPU isn't cutting it. I would look to Skylake/Ryzen as a bare minimum with a 1070ti.

9. Post
    Yep^^

1080P will be most taxing on CPU, so its likely sitting on 100% usage the whole time. Add to that 8GB of memory means it will be struggling pretty hard. You will probably find that you can run max video settings without affecting framerate.

10. Post
    I have thrown 16GB of ram and 1080FTW2 GPU at my rig, but running an A-10 7700k processor is killing me, at the moment I can land a 880K and over clock it as a stop gap, but I know I am going to have to throw some decent processing power at it soon, but for me that means new MOBO, CPU and RAM.

When I bought my set up, I went second from the top, but didn't know that new architecture was on its way making the FM2 obsoulete, my suggestion is to get a slower processor on a newer platform if it is a cost consideration.

11. Post
    yeah.. old AMD would be a no go. As a gaming CPU, I really like the i5-8400

12. Post
    I find it funny that people now complain about "only" getting 60-70 FPS on max settings in modern games...

13. Post
    Did you miss the part about getting serious frame drops? Seems like a fair complaint to me. That GPU is capable of a lot higher than 60-70 FPS max. No harm in asking what the bottleneck is.

1070ti with my Ryzen would get double that frame rate, no worries. In BF4 at least. I don't have FarCry.

14. Post
    The spikes are a pain, but also after playing games on a 100hz monitor you really notice the difference going back to 60fps.

I ran task manager whilst playing and as suspected the CPU was on 100% the entire time, never dipping below even when idle looking at the ground. RAM sat at 80% and didn't move.

Thanks so much for all the help, I built my son a PC from spare parts Christmas before last and it has 12GB DDR4 RAM and an i7-5830 so guess who's getting their PC parts swapped out

15. Post
    lol rekt

16. Post
    I've heard of people putting their children first... but that's next level.

17. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I've heard of people putting their children first... but that's next level.
    I would have sympathy for him if he played something other than bloody Fortnite.