Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Breaking World News.

French authorities say firefighters may not be able to save Notre-Dame Cathedral.

The fast-moving fire that consumed the cathedral on Monday has devastated the Parisian landmark which sits in the middle of the city.

Flames that began in the early evening burst rapidly through the roof of the centuries-old cathedral and engulfed the spire, which collapsed, quickly followed by the entire roof.
    https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...0b83502bb3d3d2
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 16th April 2019 at 2:38 pm.

2. Post
    Little bit slow...

3. Post
    Questions are being asked about the cause of the inferno that has devastated the famous Notre Dame Cathedral..

Police have launched an investigation into the fire, which is reported to be focusing on an “involuntary” cause rather than a criminal act.

City prosecutor Remy Heitz said late Monday night it was “too early” to determine the cause but that the preliminary investigation suggested the blaze was started accidentally.

While officials appear to have ruled out arson, the Notre Dame fire comes amid a spate of attacks on Catholic churches in France since the start of the year.

Last month the Church of St Sulpice in Paris was set on fire in a suspected arson attack. Other churches across the country have seen crosses and statues smashed and smeared with human faeces.

4. Post
    0 given fooks 0

5. Post
    Pretty stink, it's an awesome building and there's some beautiful stuff in there. Haven't seen much on what they were able to save in terms of art and relics but there's some pretty important relics they keep there.

Grateful that I was able to see it before this happened.

Edit - reading more updates looks like the crown of thorns and some of the other relics and art have been saved.

6. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    French authorities say firefighters may not be able to save Notre-Dame Cathedral.

The fast-moving fire that consumed the cathedral on Monday has devastated the Parisian landmark which sits in the middle of the city.

Flames that began in the early evening burst rapidly through the roof of the centuries-old cathedral and engulfed the spire, which collapsed, quickly followed by the entire roof.
    https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...0b83502bb3d3d2
    The BBC are saying the complete opposite as of 8 hours ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

Reuters news agency is quoting an official with the French firefighting team as saying: "We can now say that the structure of Notre-Dame has been saved from total destruction".

AFP is also reporting that the main structure has been "saved and preserved", citing an official.

7. Post
    Yeah hence WillAy's comment

8. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    The BBC are saying the complete opposite as of 8 hours ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share
    That is good news. The twin towers are still standing. I also read that most of the church's rare paintings and artifacts were saved before the fire took hold.

Latest damage pics.
    https://www.news.com.au/world/europe...a5ebcb4f2ae2f5
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 17th April 2019 at 1:35 pm.

9. Post
    Baggy Greenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

10. Post
    It's pretty sad. There are plenty of nearly identical cathedrals but it's like Westminster Abby's twin sister as far as epic location goes.

BZP wrote:
    0 given fooks 0
    That's because you're a yokel that's never even been out of the country.

11. Post
    I have been to places you never will

12. Post
    BZP wrote:

13. Post
    an uneducated and unsophisticated person from the countryside.

14. Post

15. Post
    What a waste of money and effort, that building is going to be a wreck 10 years from now anyway.

16. Post
    Basileus wrote:
    you bastard. i was just about to make the same joke. more or less.

17. Post
    BZP wrote:
    Places in the human mind that I'm unable to access without being a mental.

18. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    What a waste of money and effort, that building is going to be a wreck 10 years from now anyway.
    What? No it isn't. They aren't Spanish.

19. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    That's because you're a yokel that's never even been out of the country.
    It's still just a building, doesn't contribute anything apart from tourist s

20. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    It's still just a building, doesn't contribute anything apart from tourist €s
    Well you could say that about the Twin Towers. However, others see buildings as symbols for good or bad reasons.

21. Post
    Hate to be that guy but do catholics believe in signs from God? Because with all the priests going around raping small children and just generally being terrible people, I wonder if anyone of that religion see one of their most iconic structures burning to the ground as some sort of sign from God?

Genuine question

22. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Well you could say that about the Twin Towers. However, others see buildings as symbols for good or bad reasons.
    what? the twin towers were full of people at the time Bush decided to fly some planes into them

23. Post

24. Post
    What'd the Chch Cathedral get? F**K ALL!

25. Post
    Sickening.