1. Post

Limited CPU/GPU usage within mins of booting, major lag

Within 2-3 mins of booting CPU and GPU usage takes a nose dive, everything starts to lag. GPU usage is around 2-10% even when I'm using a 3D mapping program and the temp is 10-15c lower than it usually is when running, only getting 10-20 fps when I usually get 60-120. CPU temp is only 30c, GPU only 35c. I thought maybe it was a PSU issue but it'd probably be lagging straight away, so it's as if something is launching shortly after boot to cause this.

Just started happening last night, hadn't run anything suspicious. Ran a scan in Malwarebytes, nothing. Never had anything like this before. Tried disabling all non-windows services, no joy. Nothing dodgy in startup either.

i7 4790k
    1080ti

CPU and GPU both dip at the same time, frame rate in my mapping program also goes from 120fps to 20fps at the same time:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpu usage 3.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	225846

2. Post
    What do the processes look like? Anything suspect running? Did windows do an update?

3. Post
    check your power options in windows, there's a setting for max processor power. if this is set to 20-25% it would produce the results you are seeing.

4. Post
    Windows did an update a week ago. Max processor power is at 100%, hadn't touched that before. Don't see anything suspicious in processes.

5. Post
    Fixed it with this random tip:

"Method 4. Disable the 'intelppm" service from Registry."
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-cpu-not-...in-windows-10/

everything's back to normal after reboot, CPU/GPU usage and temps back up and fps is fine, but I have no idea what caused it..

6. Post
    Vic wrote:

everything's back to normal after reboot, CPU/GPU usage and temps back up and fps is fine, but I have no idea what caused it..
    Maybe jump on your board and check for updates (BIOS, Intel Management Engine, possibly others) now that you know what was causing it (faulty power management driver or Windows Update screwing with it).

Otherwise I assume your processor will be cranked up when idle or low usage.

7. Post
    Could even be that the Update itself slipped a new MS supplied driver that wasn't compatible with your MB. Windows has become excellent at supplying drivers these days but they're not always the best option. Like on GPUs.

8. Post
    Vic wrote:

nice, yeah definitely looked like the CPU was not getting enough power.

9. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Maybe jump on your board and check for updates (BIOS, Intel Management Engine, possibly others) now that you know what was causing it (faulty power management driver or Windows Update screwing with it).

Otherwise I assume your processor will be cranked up when idle or low usage.
    I checked the official site for my mobo but the drivers are years out of date with what I have installed. I found this site and updated to 11.7.0.1040, I guess that's the latest, seemed to install fine.
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....gine+interface

how do I know if my cpu is cranked up? is the usage not a good indicator?

10. Post
    just look at its frequency/voltage.

but there's no issues with having the cpu 'cranked up' when it's idle. most power users that I know disable the built-in performance management features and run the cpu at 100% 24/7.

at most it will run 5-10C warmer when idle but meh

11. Post
    Why have it run at 100% all the time? isn't that a waste of power and potentially wearing it out?

How does this look?

Attached Images

12. Post
    the power usage is literally going to be a few watts difference (negligible), also on normal voltages there really is no drawback to running at max frequency 24/7. theoretically it does 'wear out' more but as long as the voltage is within the manufacturers specs I wouldn't worry about it lowering the lifespan of the CPU. you're just running it at 100% speed, not 100% utilisation.

also use something like HWInfo64 for accurate voltages/other figures, CPU-Z isn't very easy to read.

13. Post
    Vic wrote:
    Why have it run at 100% all the time? isn't that a waste of power and potentially wearing it out?

How does this look?
    It won't be wearing it out, CPUs are almost as reliable as death and taxes but it is using more power.

In your picture you can see it's running at the base frequency (3999.07MHz), whereas in the picture earlier it's running at its lowest frequency (1GHz). Intel Processor Power Manager increases and decreases its frequency on demand to minimise power consumption "without affecting user experience".

The last quotes are important as it says that yours was not doing its job properly.