1. Post

Cloning a barely used 2TB HDD to a 500gb Samsung Evo SSD

I was up till 2AM trying to do what I thought was a fairly straight forward task having done it several times in the past.

Original Drive: 2TB 5400rpm GPT Partition Style
    New Drive: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD
    Hewlett Packard Laptop - UEFI Bios
    Secure Boot Enabled

Aside from the hidden partitions/recovery partition, only about 80gb of the windows partition is actually used. Drive doesn't need to be this big. I have tried EaseUS. AOMEI. Have ticked in the required checkboxes that its an SSD drive so it "aligns the partitions" On both occasions, the SSD won't boot into windows. On the last attempt using AOMEI's cloning software, I put the original drive back in, which now wouldn't boot. It managed to complete a self repair, the display said it was fixing file system errors. Although it will get into windows, Some things work, but oddly, the desktop background is black, the start menu won't work (does nothing) and shortcuts to Word and Mail, have apparently "moved"

So things have gone from not working, to slightly worse really. I'm starting to wonder if its worth wiping the SSD, and installing Windows 10 from a USB image, activating, and then downloading system drivers as required. If I do that, I would leave the original drive in its original form in case the recovery partitions are still useful. Am open to suggestions, am also open to someone willing to remote connect to my main PC and assist with the right cloning software/partition resizing.

Cheers.

2. Post
    First thing I find that can cause issues is you need to make sure Windows was shift shut down (Hold shift when clicking shut down) so it was actually shut down not in hybrid shutdown.

3. Post
    I'm no expert on this, but Samsung has their own software to clone your drive to one of their SSDs. Iv'e used it several times before on a variety of platforms and always had it work flawlessly.

4. Post
    yea I downloaded one of their tools this morning, but admitted defeat before trying it. 2 days of 2am ish stints. need some sleep tonight

5. Post
    Would recommend first going into disk management (diskmgmt.msc) and shrinking the original volume to less than 500gb, so you can restore it to the SSD with no issues. If it won't let you shrink that small, you may need to run a disk defrag first to align files on the filesystem, then shrink it (to 80gb, or 200gb, or 400gb is fine).

Then back up the original volume using storagecraft shadowprotect (30 day free trial) - back up to an external USB drive, or another machine over the network. (you can run this backup from within windows - install shadowprotect, open it, create destination being usb disk or network location, create backup job, run full backup)

Then you'd want to make a shadowprotect bootable USB/CD drive to boot to, to do the restore. On the shadowprotect downloads page it has bootable media creator https://www.storagecraft.com/downloa...y-environments

Boot into the shadowprotect recovery environment USB (usually f10 or f12 to select boot device during startup, or adjust your BIOS options to make USB bootable first), make sure your backup is available (the one you backed up to external USB, or over the network).
    choose Restore, select the backup file from USB/network location, select destination as the SSD, and run the restore.

Then in the shadowprotect options, I believe there is Tools > Boot Configuration Utility - it should show whether the volume is bootable, or broken. If broken, click the button to "fixbcd". Then exit shadowprotect, the PC will restart and should boot from the SSD

Have done this on multiple customer's machines/my machines with success. Will PM you my email if you want some assistance/have some questions
    Last edited by clip; 19th April 2019 at 2:00 am.

6. Post
    I haven't had luck attempting what you are trying to do either, I'm guessing that under their licensing agreement with Microsoft they have an obligation to make it as difficult as possible to make copies of their factory recovery partition.

I'm sure it is ultimately do-able if you have the right software or are proficient enough with the EFI boot process to make the necessary modifications. Ended up creating own installation media, had to turn off secure boot in the EFI BIOS for it to boot too.

7. Post
    got there in the end. Resized the original huge partition so it was just under 500gb, then used Acronis to make an image of the entire volume, then restored that to the empty SSD (blank with no allocated space) Acronis said it wouldn't be able to boot afterwards, but it boots just fine. Wish I'd done that from the start. Oh well

8. Post
    paragon OS migration, has never failed me.

9. Post
    Anyone else with this problem use macrium reflect to clone drives

10. Post
    I have done this many times, especially converting from MBR to UEFI. My procedure is:
    1. Use diskpart to convert the new drive to GPT and create the required partitions for UEFI. Use this link for example diskpart commands:
      https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn898510(v=vs.94)
    2. Don't setup a primary partition though as the free space is what will be cloned to
    3. Use Macrium reflect cloning feature to clone the primary partition to the new drive's spare space
    4. Download Windows 10 installer to a USB drive
    5. Book the computer with the old drive off and boot from the windows USB - use the inbuilt boot fixing tools, it should help get the system booting
    6. If not you need to use shift+f10 to open a command prompt in the install environment and copy the BCD files to the new partitions you made on the new SSD from the Windows installer drive

11. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    got there in the end. Resized the original huge partition so it was just under 500gb, then used Acronis to make an image of the entire volume, then restored that to the empty SSD (blank with no allocated space) Acronis said it wouldn't be able to boot afterwards, but it boots just fine. Wish I'd done that from the start. Oh well
    I have used Acronis quite a bit and it has always worked well, and is pretty quick too. I have the WD version and use it on my PC as it has a WD HDD in there somewhere!

I always get an error message from Acronis but it always works fine.

Glad you got it sorted.