Ain't no justice in the world

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

1. Post
    ^My friends had to go through all the partner visa bullshit in the UK a few years back. The immigration people don't care whether you're married, they want to see that you're in a legitimate relationship and photos of you living together and being a couple for 2 years plus.

Imagine how easy it would be to game the system if all you had to do was get any citizen to sign a marriage certificate.

S.E.D. wrote:
    I thought there was a law about not being compelled to give evidence against your spouse. Is of some benefit if you want to help your wife murder someone perhaps.
    You don't have to give evidence about anything if you don't want to. Donald Trump answered 37 of the questions he was asked for the Mueller investigation with "I don't remember... "and "I don't recall...".

2. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    You don't have to give evidence about anything if you don't want to. Donald Trump answered 37 of the questions he was asked for the Mueller investigation with "I don't remember... "and "I don't recall...".
    According to the NZLS as at March 2013:

It used to be the case that a husband or wife (spouse) could not be made to give evidence
    against their spouse but this immunity no longer exists. Now a spouse can be compelled
    to give evidence against their husband or wife and is in the same position as any other
    witness.
    So there goes the last remaining benefit to being married

You can be compelled to give evidence if a Judge directs it, lest you be held in contempt. You don't have to give evidence that will incriminate you and you should be forewarned by the Judge about that. "I don't remember" is a legitimate answer of course.

3. Post
    ^he knows what he's talking about, don't forget he spends 40hrs a week in a courtroom

4. Post
    My point was they don't have to be worthwhile answers. I doubt you'd get called as a prosecution witness if they knew you were going to be completely unhelpful.

5. Post
    When they become unhelpful, the prosecutor can apply for witness being declared hostile and then the rules of cross-examination apply. Happens all the time in DV cases where the woman a year down the track regrets making a complaint or where the witness fears repercussions from a gang.