So went from Fibre 100/20 to Gigatown, I'm in Dunedin - provider Spark
    Using wifi with ASUS PCE-AC55BT B1 Dual-Band AC1200
    Modem is Huawei HG659b

Shouldn't I get at least 500mbps+

PING ms
    DOWNLOAD Mbps
    UPLOAD Mbps

2. Post
    Disclaimer: Might be wrong about a few things below, feel free to fact check me.

I'd suggest testing your speed off peak with an ethernet cable. That way you know what you're actually getting and can isolate the issue to your equipment.

Note that you DO NOT need a modem with Fibre, just plug the router straight into the ONT and you're away. The HG659b is hot garbage and if you've got them daisy chained like that it could be part of the problem.

Assuming you're able to hit close to 1Gbps wired, that isolates the issue to either your router, the devices that are connecting to the router wirelessly or interference between the two. An AC1200 router is perfectly capable of reaching Gigatown speeds but note that the maximum bandwidth across the wireless networks (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) is 1200Mbps (Hence AC1200). This includes local traffic, EG streaming from a media server.

Ruling that out, most routers these days are smart enough to choose the least congested wifi channel to broadcast on, but it can pay to check. This is more likely to be an issue in areas with a lot of wifi networks. There's a good range of software and apps available that will scan all of the wifi networks in range and figure out what channel they're on, make sure the router is using the least congested channels available.

If the above got you no results, then it's most likely the devices you're connecting to the Wifi with. Not all devices are capable of a gigabit of traffic, it's all down to the wifi chip in them. To my knowledge, there's a lot of phones for instance that can't reach the gigabit mark, even expensive ones. iirc even the newest most sophisticated iPhones won't reach a gigabit. I'm using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and there's lots of different information across the internet about what it's actually capable of. I don't have fibre right now (yay rural) so it's not possible for me to find out for sure. I saw something from Huawei quoting a maximum speed just shy of 2Gbps so here's hoping!

3. Post
    600mbps+ with cat 6 cable directly to HG659b
    Cable directly into ONT below does not work...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd generation ONT bis.PNG 
Views:	195 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	225918

4. Post
    Interesting. Gigatown must be configured differently to the fibre available nationwide. In my experience it's just the ONT on the wall, nothing else and it works perfectly with just a router, no modem required.

But yeah, 600Mbps isn't ideal when you're paying for a gigabit. Was this measured during offpeak hours? Who is your ISP?

5. Post
    i had to configure my dlink router to use vlan 10 in the Wan port before it could connect to internet. You should be able to bypass the hg659b. See if theres any guides on spark settings

6. Post
    Don't really want to use cable, I'll be happy with 400+mbps using WIFI
    So tried cable directly from Modem to PC - 650/450 on speedtest.
    Place HG659b Modem next to my PC and tried Wifi - 200/200

Looks like either Wifi adapter or HG659b is limiting the speed?
    I have got ASUS PCE-AC55BT wifi adapter which is capable of speeds to 800mbps+
    Last edited by 78vin; 27th April 2019 at 11:11 am.

7. Post
    Xev wrote:
    Interesting. Gigatown must be configured differently to the fibre available nationwide. In my experience it's just the ONT on the wall, nothing else and it works perfectly with just a router, no modem required.

But yeah, 600Mbps isn't ideal when you're paying for a gigabit. Was this measured during offpeak hours? Who is your ISP?
    it's not

he's just not doing it right, you can definitely plug anything directly into the ONT and get an IP.
    as said below it's probably the vlan tagging

you should be able to get 800-900/400~ in Dunedin - I was and everyone I knew was around that a couple of years ago

Seems like you are connected with wireless n rather than ac with those speeds

Ensure you are connecting to the 5GHZ band for your wifi and that your adapter is using ac rather than anything else (and make sure the huawei thing is actually offering wireless ac)

8. Post
    The Huawei routers are next to useless..

9. Post
    Abo wrote:
    it's not

he's just not doing it right, you can definitely plug anything directly into the ONT and get an IP.
    as said below it's probably the vlan tagging

you should be able to get 800-900/400~ in Dunedin - I was and everyone I knew was around that a couple of years ago

Seems like you are connected with wireless n rather than ac with those speeds

Ensure you are connecting to the 5GHZ band for your wifi and that your adapter is using ac rather than anything else (and make sure the huawei thing is actually offering wireless ac)
    Yes connected with WIFI, on 5ghz band and 802.11ac selected.
    Do I have like no hope of getting more than 200/200 on Wifi unless I buy a new router and wifi adapter?

Cable connection is around 650-700/450

What settings do I need to muck around with to connect directly to ONT?

10. Post
    Currently you're getting 650-700/450, I'm assuming the router and the fibre is working properly and it's your PC that's not fast enough. Can you let me know the specs of your computer?

78vin wrote:
    What settings do I need to muck around with to connect directly to ONT?

You don't. Connecting directly to the ONT would be a good idea if you're using 200Mbps or below. However it's not recommended for gigabit.

Reason is because your router (the HG659) has a built in PPPoE decoding ability, while your PC does not. If you connect PC directly to the ONT, I will expect it to get lower speeds than you're having now.

11. Post
    nightshadow wrote:
    Currently you're getting 650-700/450, I'm assuming the router and the fibre is working properly and it's your PC that's not fast enough. Can you let me know the specs of your computer?

You don't. Connecting directly to the ONT would be a good idea if you're using 200Mbps or below. However it's not recommended for gigabit.

Reason is because your router (the HG659) has a built in PPPoE decoding ability, while your PC does not. If you connect PC directly to the ONT, I will expect it to get lower speeds than you're having now.
    I'm running i7 7700k, STRIX Z270F, 16GB ram, GXT970, Win 10 Pro 64bit.

650-700/450 on cable yes, I'll be happy with 400/400 on wifi tbh

12. Post
    Tried updating firmware on the HG659b?

I recently did my Linksys pair and it made a massive difference as well as applied some security patches.

13. Post
    I think it is the latest one
    Software version: V100R001C227B022

14. Post
    The HG659b is more than capable at achieving 900/500 on gbit fibre, wired of course

What server are you testing to?

15. Post
    yeah i went through like 5 HG659bs across 2 months. Swapped to a much much more powerful modem/router and no more disconnects or speed drops.

16. Post
    LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    yeah i went through like 5 HG659bs across 2 months. Swapped to a much much more powerful modem/router and no more disconnects or speed drops.
    We used to break them after a month or 2 at my flat running gigabit with a ton of people torrenting.
    I brought an Asus Router has zero issues since. Ubuntu mate 19.04 Ryzen 2600, b450, 16gb ram, RTX2080
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8228035269.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	225985

17. Post
    defiant wrote:
    The HG659b is more than capable at achieving 900/500 on gbit fibre, wired of course

What server are you testing to?
    Spark server of course
    I'm just trying to get 400+/400+ on wifi but seems like that is a no go.

Wired I get 700+/500+

18. Post
    Unless your router and devices are wave 2 802.11ac thats probably about as good as you are going to get.

19. Post
    Xev wrote:

"Gigatown" isn't configured differently, its just promotional pricing vs the rest of the UFB network.

You can't just plug "anything" into the ONT.
    - It needs to support VLAN tagging on the WAN interface, so you can set it to VLAN10.
    - It needs to support PPPoE for the Spark/Bigpipe (for which you'll need to setup the PPPoE settings), or DHCP for Vodafone and other ISP's

As for speed, its really going to depend on the MU-MIMO capability of your router (wireless access radio) and your devices.
    Most consumer modems only support 2x2 MIMO, alternatively if you get a mesh wifi or dedicated AP - they are typically 3x3 or 4x4 MIMO which is a huge speed increase. 802.11ac 5Ghz with 3x3 MIMO such as with a UniFi AC Pro or Google Home / Netgear Orbi etc...mesh wifi system will get you about 500Mbit on WiFi.