Page 3 of 3 First 123
Results 51 to 62 of 62

  1. Post
    #51
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Tbh I just wanted to dig up the computer game conversation more than anything.


    Gameplay is important of course but there's no way it's all that matters or even matters as much as you say.


    They're better than nothing but they're not better than something that cost 100 million dollars to make and runs on a thousand dollar graphics card, whichever your genre choice is.

    There are some crappy new games around for sure but a massive increase in every possible metric didn't magically make them all worse overall.

    The point I'm banging on about is that new games are better than old games with only a few novel exceptions.
    A game doesn't need to run on a thousand dollar graphics card to be good. The majority of modern games are too concerned with flashy graphics over gameplay.

    There isn't a true successor to Transport Tycoon that I am aware of...

    Heroes of Might & Magic 3 is the high point of the series and it has been downhill from there.

    It took them how many years/decades to produce a Sonic game equal (or at least close) to Sonic 2?

    Why have they not produced anything superior to Magic Carpet or Populous or Lemmings?

    I think there are many, many exceptions...

  2. Post
    #52
    Wow. OP still hasn't delivered?! What a ****.

  3. Post
    #53
    suntoucher wrote:
    Sorry, I couldn't live with myself if I liked a cryptocurrency Facebook group.
    Good call

  4. Post
    #54
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    The best example of the rose tinted goggles when talking about games I think is World of Warcraft: the hundreds of thousands of people that are going to get an unpleasant reminder when the Classic version from 2006 is re-released later this year and they get killed by the first wild boar they come across will be a laugh. "I can't ride a horse until I've spent 100+ hours running around collecting gizzards?" Wtf!
    Yeah I fully expect the classic numbers to plummet after a week.

  5. Post
    #55
    teelo7 wrote:
    Yeah I fully expect the classic numbers to plummet after a week.
    People won't quit right away, they won't want to admit they were wrong so quickly.

    Vanilla WoW was awesome because it was new and amazing for the time, not because they spent the last 15 years downgrading it.

    Constantly running out of quests and spending hours having "grind" to be able to get to the next zone should wake a few people up.

    The dungeon experience people are hoping for won't be as good from a social and achievement point of view either, everyone is going to be experienced so they're all getting bored against the ridiculously similar boss fights and they're still going to use 3rd party apps or mods to form groups.

  6. Post
    #56
    brand wrote:
    A game doesn't need to run on a thousand dollar graphics card to be good. The majority of modern games are too concerned with flashy graphics over gameplay.

    There isn't a true successor to Transport Tycoon that I am aware of...

    Heroes of Might & Magic 3 is the high point of the series and it has been downhill from there.

    It took them how many years/decades to produce a Sonic game equal (or at least close) to Sonic 2?

    Why have they not produced anything superior to Magic Carpet or Populous or Lemmings?

    I think there are many, many exceptions...
    So when you play games now, you just play those ones?

  7. Post
    #57
    I've played street fighter 2 more than any other game in the last 6 months.

  8. Post
    #58
    DW wrote:
    I've played street fighter 2 more than any other game in the last 6 months.
    Is that because you don't play games much or you've just played a mind blowing amount of Street Fighter 2?

    I love that game as well but I've done my dash after several hours. It's simple enough that you can get the hang of it and usually predict what's coming and be quick enough to counter.

    If you're playing against other people it's a bit different.

    I found this on Spotify the other day, thought the title art was pretty funny:Name:  PicsArt_08-16-07.08.59.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  201.2 KB

  9. Post
    #59
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    People won't quit right away, they won't want to admit they were wrong so quickly.

    Vanilla WoW was awesome because it was new and amazing for the time, not because they spent the last 15 years downgrading it.

    Constantly running out of quests and spending hours having "grind" to be able to get to the next zone should wake a few people up.

    The dungeon experience people are hoping for won't be as good from a social and achievement point of view either, everyone is going to be experienced so they're all getting bored against the ridiculously similar boss fights and they're still going to use 3rd party apps or mods to form groups.
    Nailed it.

    The social aspect of learning everything for the first time was a big draw card. Now everything has already been mastered or there is a YouTube video of how to do it, that card is long dead.
    Last edited by Privoxy; 23rd August 2019 at 6:45 pm.

  10. Post
    #60
    Bump. Has OP delivered?

  11. Post
    #61
    Surly. He must have.

  12. Post
    #62
    MXRecord wrote:
    Bump. Has OP delivered?
    Nope.