1. Post

Reluctant upgrade required

First post since 2016 and I need to get back up to speed. My PC is giving me attitude with a occasional unwillingness to boot, along with a few other niggly little habits it's picked up which I suspect are mobo related, so it's time to lay out some cash.

My system is ancient aside from a 1050ti I bought to replace my dead 580GTX.

My budget is $800 - $1000 max, for a new mobo, cpu and RAM combo.

Currently gaming in 1080p and that is unlikely to change. Won't be spending money on anything PC related for another 7-ish years unless hardware failure requires it.

I'm currently running a i7 2600k that would never overclock and 8 gig of DDR3(?) so it won't take much to blow my mind.

Have traditionally been biased towards Intel based systems, but I see there is quite a difference in price these days.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. Post
    If you can wait, that.

If not.
    2600X ~$350
    16GB 3200mhz memory ~$230
    B450 motherboard ~$200

~$800

3. Post
    Your CPU is still fine for 1080p gaming.

If the MB is giving your problems look out for a replacement secondhand, add an SSD and some more RAM.

Maybe a better CPU cooler like a CM 212 and a quality PSU for a better chance of overclocking?

If you don't plan on upgrading your GPU or monitor any time soon I don't see the point in spending money on a new CPU/MB.

4. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    If you can wait, that.

If not.
    2600X ~$350
    16GB 3200mhz memory ~$230
    B450 motherboard ~$200

~$800
    I am looking at a similar system to this for my upgrade, but I think I am going to spend more on the MOBO and go for a X470 so I can upgrade the CPU down the track.

One thing that would maybe need to consider is the GPU is a lower end one, and if it may end up being your bottle neck going forward, especially if you don't want to spend any more on your PC for 7 years.

5. Post
    You lost me at reluctant... where my yolos at?

6. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    You lost me at reluctant... where my yolos at?
    In the YOLO thread?

7. Post
    AstoriaParanoia wrote:
    In the YOLO thread?

8. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    I am looking at a similar system to this for my upgrade, but I think I am going to spend more on the MOBO and go for a X470 so I can upgrade the CPU down the track
    Well if you haven't got the stuff yet, just wait. Only buy current gen stuff if you need a new system now. If you can wait, the worst you'll get is a cheaper upgrade as the current gen stuff will become cheaper when next gen is released.

As for the 1050ti being a bottleneck, it will be with almost any hardware, it's an entry level card.

9. Post
    May as well get on a new platform with longevity and reliability

10. Post
    I just can't see a reason for spending up to $1k on new CPU/MB/RAM to run a 1050ti for the next 7 years...

11. Post
    Some good pointers, thanks guys.

Thinking about it more, it may be a case of having spent money on an upgrade I really should use it more, so a mid-range GPU update in a year or two probably isn't out of the question. I just couldn't justify it when there was a 12 month period of not playing anything, followed by a short period of not playing anything released after 2000.

12. Post
    I'd watch but and trademe try pickup a 1070 for $350 and upgrade the rest later

13. Post
    Siris Le Osiris wrote:
    I'd watch but and trademe try pickup a 1070 for $350 and upgrade the rest later
    This I just sold my 1070 on here for $350

If you are after a long term solution in the CPU front I would suggest waiting for AMD to release Zen 2 if leaks are to be believed.

14. Post
    Went to PB tech today and grabbed a 2600X, mobo and 16 gig of G.Skill which I will be returning tomorrow as it's for Intel chips.

Good to see some things never change lol.

15. Post
    AzumitH wrote:
    Went to PB tech today and grabbed a 2600X, mobo and 16 gig of G.Skill which I will be returning tomorrow as it's for Intel chips.

Good to see some things never change lol.
    Is it just not working at all?

16. Post
    Yeah why are you returning it?

17. Post
    The G.skill should work fine

18. Post
    Packages remain unopened as of yet. Ram in question. So the XMP 2.0 support doesn't exclude AMD CPU's?

I swear to god if I knew ten years ago I'd be asking questions like this on here I'd be severely disappointed in myself.

19. Post
    Half decent motherboard running up to date bios should eliminate most issues. Worse case you may have to do a bit of tweaking.

20. Post
    If you have a 400 series motherboard, I'd be surprised if you had any issues running it at full speed.

Ryzen has come a long way with memory support. When I got mine XMP was the only thing you could get. They are only preset options anyway. So as mentioned, worst case you set the settings manually.

When all together just go into BIOS and see what memory speed options you have. There may be some XMP options.

21. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Well if you haven't got the stuff yet, just wait. Only buy current gen stuff if you need a new system now. If you can wait, the worst you'll get is a cheaper upgrade as the current gen stuff will become cheaper when next gen is released.

As for the 1050ti being a bottleneck, it will be with almost any hardware, it's an entry level card.
    That's the plan. Ryzen 3000 series should only be a matter of weeks away now anyway.

22. Post
    I'm of the decision new hardware is needed at this point. 1050ti is fine.