2. Post
    7empest is a beast of a song

3. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    7empest is a beast of a song
    Definitely, up there with there best

4. Post
    goosebumps the whole way through

golly gosh diggety damn, danny's gone completely ****ing beast mode on this record

couldnt possibly formulate a cohesive opinion until a few more listens but one thing for sure, I'm not disappointed in the slightest like I was afraid I was gonna be

5. Post
    Yeah so whats been bothering me is the lack of a focused climax from the vocals. Many places feel like they’re building up to this awesome catharsis and then it just doesn’t happen, fizzles out. What these guys have really mastered on basically every track from 10k days and really most of their back catalogue is that ebb and flow of going on a musical journey with a payoff that makes listening to a 10 min track ****ing amazing.
    Not having those moments on this album, or not having them to the extent that the potential makes you expect it is really putting a dent in my enjoyment. Melodically its also a bit of a step backwards which is probably why I find it too repetitive in parts, I don’t terribly mind this though as the repetitive bits are still enjoyable to listen to and maximum groovy.
    Not having maynard provide his emotional vocals as a narrative structure is a weird direction for the band to go in, although there’s still room for me to feel differently once I’m more familiar with the album.

lemme just add that yeah 7empest is a great big angry tool epic, but come on I see it compared to third eye or rosetta stoned, im like nah not really, structurally its lackluster when compared to their best works

6. Post
    I haven't listened to the new album yet...might go to town and listen to it the first time with everyone else...but your comments remind me of an interview with Maynard about how him and his music change.

I'm not surprised that the album has changed tone somewhat. It's grown with him as it should..but really I should reserve comment until I've actually listened to it.

7. Post
    Funny that I want to buy it on CD then realise I have nothing that will even play a CD anymore :/

Had a couple of listens on Spotify so far anyway.

8. Post
    It gets a meh/10 from me at this point in time.

9. Post
    Initial impressions is that it's a bit boring/safe especially considering the long hiatus. But it's not bad and I was expecting it to be awful so it's fine.

That's just after one listen so we will see though

10. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Initial impressions is that it's a bit boring/safe especially considering the long hiatus. But it's not bad and I was expecting it to be awful so it's fine.

That's just after one listen so we will see though
    Haha funny, its pretty much exactly how I felt. Certainly missing some emotion from Maynard

11. Post
    Yeah, seems like progression from 10,000 Days, Modern Tool

Nothing mind blowing yet, may need a few more listens.

12. Post
    MadMat wrote:
    Haha funny, its pretty much exactly how I felt. Certainly missing some emotion from Maynard
    I was gonna ask you what you though! It's growing on me, I think Fear Inoculum and 7empest will for sure make playlists, the rest needs more listens

13. Post
    pneuma is the stand out track for me, really like it.
    the album will grow on me surely but for now its a bit under whelming, danny carey on the other hand, what a drummer!

@What. you're articulating what im feeling too mate

14. Post
    ok after a week of listening, Culling voices is my favourite song, it just builds into a monster of a song, a little bit like Reflection.

15. Post
    Invincible is my fav thus far.
    Really loving the album, amazing stuff.

16. Post
    I was just listening again to it last night and it's starting to feel better and better as I get the feel of each song more. Invincible is also my fav so far.

It's definitely a development on their previous work. Much more lead guitar. It's got its own feel from their previous work.

17. Post
    Physical copy finally arrived today, very happy with it - cool as shit.

My fave track keeps changing from Invincible to Descending to Pneuma to 7empest so that's a pretty good sign its a solid album as a whole. I've taken a step back from the hype and had to remind myself how old Maynard's getting and with that I started to make peace with the more mellowed out vocals on this.
    Initially I didnt rate the lyrics very high but I have to admit listening through the album while leafing through the booklet was pretty awesome and opened a whole new level.

The songs lack any obvious hooks so to speak, it takes a number of listens to get into the groove of each track. Its definitely a grower and I can appreciate that.

Here's hoping this won't be their last album yet.