1. Post

Upgrade to Z390 from Z77 without resinstalling windows 7

Hi, Just upgraded my system from Z77 to Z390 but I don't want to reinstall Windows 7. I have read that the usbs wont work until drivers are installed. So how would I be able to install drivers without keyboard and mouse? Is it possible I really dont want to reinstall windows

2. Post
    Just connect all the drives up and hope for the best. Or perhaps just the system drive first.

IMO.

Hardware is pretty smart these days. You can use keyboard and mouse before Windows.

3. Post
    I'll try it

4. Post
    It should work, it'd just be upgrading chipset drivers; it should have all the drivers that are needed to boot it.

5. Post
    I've tried switching chipsets in the past on Windows 7 and it was an impossible task. Whatever it was, though, was fixed in Windows 8 onwards. 10 moves around effortlessly. So update to Windows 10 first?

6. Post
    best part of upgrades is fresh windows install

7. Post
    I ended up upgrading to Windows 10 first on the old motherboard and that worked on the new one. Plugging in the SSD with Windows 7 didn't automatically install any drivers. So I didn't have a keyboard or mouse to install anything.

8. Post
    effectivekrishy wrote:
    I ended up upgrading to Windows 10 first on the old motherboard and that worked on the new one. Plugging in the SSD with Windows 7 didn't automatically install any drivers. So I didn't have a keyboard or mouse to install anything.
    Would upgrading to Windows 10 then downgrading to windows 7 work?

9. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Would upgrading to Windows 10 then downgrading to windows 7 work?
    Possibly, I think I'll settle with windows 10 and do the visual mods to make it look more like 7.